Old 05-12-2006, 09:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I like the front hitch idea since i just bought a 2" four bike rack. Anyone ever put a front hitch on an Excursion?

WBCCI 24291
New England Unit
Metropolitan NY Unit
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Guess I'll weigh in on the mirrors. Just bought the really large CIPA extendable mirrors but returned due to a manufacturing defect. Now have the Schefenackers installed on my 2005 Chev Silverado 1500HD CC. Much better than the CIPA units but take some getting use to. I can see down the side of the trailer easily. Drawback is price, they arent' cheap at ~$425.

Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Haven't done it but Draw-Tite shows there here. At least you can get one for your vehicle. I can't unless I cut the body molding.
Originally Posted by peegreen
I like the front hitch idea since i just bought a 2" four bike rack. Anyone ever put a front hitch on an Excursion?

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:21 AM   #18
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim
1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I load up three bikes by taking the front wheels off so I can manuver them around the bed of the truck. But that is getting old fast.

Has anyone used the folding bikes available at camping world? Besides the expense, they seem like the would be alright just for the casual campground rides.
1960 International Ambassador 28'
2001 Silverado 2500HD CC 6.0L 4.10
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:30 AM   #19
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Change the bikes?

Welcome to the Forums, and congrats on new Airstream...

We used Cipa clamp-on mirrors for Suburban for years without problems, and at less than $30 per side they are reasonable investment. We tried elastic band models made by another vendor and returned them in a day, as they wouldn't stay on and flopped all over...

As for bikes, you might also consider folding mountain bikes like Dahon Zero G or Espresso, which can safely ride folded in rear of excursion and come out only when it's time to ride... The newer large-wheel folding bikes are a pretty good compromise.

Hope to see your at Nor-Cal rally later this year...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:50 AM   #20
Rivet Master
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
We'd been considering folding bikes for a while. As Tim says it was getting old taking off the front wheels and fitting in the truck especially to load up unless we knew we would be riding a considerable amount. Folders may be a compromise but we never cared much for off road riding beyond packed down dirt or a gravel trail anyway.

I saw the cool Birdy bike that says Airstream and is all silver at Homecoming at Jackson Center and I still think it is pretty neat with suspension and folding so very small into its case but they are rather expensive for our "experimental" usage to see if we like folders.

So when we were vacationing last fall we visited a local bike shop and they happened to have Trek folders with 20 inch wheels on sale so we picked them up, even though that meant toting 4 bikes home that trip. We were pleasantly surprised. We may look like we are performing bears on a little wheel from the back but they are more than capable of providing a decent ride into town around the campgrounds or on trails. We felt like kids flying down the road unemcumbered again with the small and light bikes. Steering becomes more responsive with the smaller wheels but a few minutes experience takes care of that adjustment. And I love my BELL!

Now we can keep them with us even on an off chance that we might want to only spin around after a day's towing to get a little exercise and recreation. We still tuned up our bikes while we were there in the shop and from home we will select the regular AT bikes, but to grab out of the truck and snap together, it's a breeze.

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:54 PM   #21
Vintage RV
1959 24' Tradewind
Atascadero , California
Send a message via Yahoo to plowboy
After trying just about EVERY clamp on, strap on, bolt on mirror avalable I'm going to try the schefenackers orsomething similar to them.
I have a set of Mc Kesh mirrors reader to pack to return. The wind noise was deafiining and the concave mirror on the passenger side poped out when I closed the door.

I ordered the superduty style mirrors from Ford which were supposed to bolt right on to my E150 van, but the mirrors have four bolts and my van only has three. Apparently they make two differant door for the van.
plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:15 PM   #22
Liquid Cooled
2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
I: Folding bikes.
I ride a fair amount (~5200 miles last year), and have ridden a Dahon folder (similar to Camping World). Am ordering one through the local bike shop. My "normal" rides are a really long recumbent and a 40 YO 3-speed (about 500 miles each so far this year). around 60% of the annual miles directly replace a vehicle. Both of these bikes need to have some parts removed to fit in the back of the truck. If the Dahon (a Speed 7) works out, I may exchange the ancient Raleigh for a second folder. Having seen one, I believe it is a reasonably durable bike, and capable of being as much a tool as a toy. The Raleigh is my "foul weather commute" bike, the folder would stow under my desk instead of the bike rack.

II Transporting a bike
On a scale of 1-10, my preference for transporting a bike is like this:
1) inside (10/10)
2) roof rack (6/10) -bugs limited to front of bike.
3) bumper hitch (5/10) - the rattle around a little. I hate seeing them swap paint.
4) front of vehicle (3/10) - too many bugs and goop.
With 2 kids, we're looking at 4 bikes. This also makes me consider a folder.

III Mirrors
The genteman from whom we bought our AS made us a good deal on a set of McKesh (sp) mirrors. I like them. I'd thought about getting OEM towing mirrors for the Chevy, but abandoned that thought about 5 miles into the McKesh experience. They do what I need; ymmv.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:21 PM   #23
Liquid Cooled
2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Originally Posted by wheel interested
So when we were vacationing last fall we visited a local bike shop and they happened to have Trek folders with 20 inch wheels on sale so we picked them up, even though that meant toting 4 bikes home that trip. We were pleasantly surprised...
My understanding is that Dahon makes the folding bikes for Trek, Breezer, and a couple others, FWIW.
Actually, one of the Breezers (Itzy 3) is apparently a copy of a Brompton, and it folds really small. I haven't ridden it.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:51 PM   #24
. , .
hi redshed and others

you are correct dahon makes the frame for trek...
i've riden both trek models and they are adequate bikes....
and for the price well made, equipped and suitable for going out and about...

i'm somewhat spoiled, since i ride moultons...
which don't fold but do separate.

small wheelers can be somewhat harsh on the road for longer rides unless some sort of suspension is included....

dahon now makes a few models with suspension features....

i have a friend here who has toured extensively using a dahon speed tr....

this bike came with a pantour suspension front hub....which just takes the edge off road harshness....and is a really nicely equiped model with a sram dual drive and very wide gearing....

the speed tr is a 'euro model' but dealers here can order them, if asked to...
with full fenders and a racks it can be a great commuter bike or foul weather machine.

another great option for folders is the bike friday line.....they offer many models and custom fittings and fold reasonably well. they are made in oregon. bike friday has a really detailed web site.

if anyone really wants to consider or review folding bike options...there is a folding bike club/society in the uk with a good web site and many many models reviewed...some very wild.

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote