Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2017, 12:21 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I agree; I have had 3 25's with a Reese, an Equalizer, and 2 Blue-Ox now...Equalizer broke during backing up in parking lot, thus the first Blue-Ox...only thing the dealer had access to that day. I used for 2 years, and like so much I bought a new one with my "then new" 2014 FC FB Twin....never had an issue with the Blue Ox. My F150 EB works great with this combination...you should be happy with your new F150....10 speed!
I have had an Equal-i-zer for 11 years and countless miles and I have NEVER had to unhook the bars backing up
Uphill, downhill , left , right or straight.
Don't know what you are talking about.
Anyone else?
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:01 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
I have had 5 airstreams. I have had Equalizer and Blue Ox both and pulled many miles with each.

Blue Ox wins hands down...much easier to work hooking up and unhooking, much less noise when driving turning etc., and you can backup your trailer without undoing the bars.

Both will do the job...just Blue Ox does it better.

With your truck you don't need the expensive heavy hard to dial in ProPride Hensley hitches. Save your money and back for more fun things.
We recently purchased a 30' Classic like new Airstream. The sellers had a brand new Pro Pride hitch on it. I told them to take it of and sell it because I don't want to have anything to do with an attachment that complicated and heavy. After bringing the new As home I came across the the PP installation manual they inadvertently left behind. It consisted of 24 full pages. My eyes glazed over reading it.
I took my Blue Ox and had it on and hitched up in less than an hour.
The trip home was 590 miles and not once was I buffeted by wind or semis passing. I have been using the Blue Ox for 3 years all on 30' units and have no issues at all. I experimented with two other brands that did not work as well before ending up trying the BO.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:29 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaldwin View Post
We now have the requisite 1000 miles on our new 2017 F-150 Platinum and it is now ready for towing. And, in parallel, just this week, our factory new FC 25A, Twin arrived at the dealer. So, it's time for us to decide/declare what WDH to have Orange County Airstream install for us. I've read the forums at length - lot's of options and so many opinions on the WDH brands up to and including PP. So, what succinct, best analytic advice might the community give me. The dealer offers/suggests Blue OX or Equalizer, but will do PP or Hensley, if I request it and think the uncharge is warranted. I know this is very important. So I'm all ears! (I'm a total Newbie). In advance, thanks!
I'd like to see the scale weights of a loaded F-150 Platinum (or a similar 1/2 ton truck) and newer FC 25 using a Blue Ox w.d. hitch, to see if it can restore the truck's steering axle to its unloaded weight.

Looking at the flex in the w.d. bars, I would be surprised if it can, and this combination needs full weight distribution for good steering control in all conditions, resistance to sway, and transfer some load off the truck axles to the trailer axles.

"Works fine" only goes so far (and we are talking a gas engine 1/2 ton truck here), the weight scales will be needed to evaluate safety and actual performance capability for this combination.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:46 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Cumming , Georgia
I'd recommend the equalizer

I have been pulling my 2017 30' International with a 2016 GMC 2500 HD and an Equalizer 1,000/10,000. My dealer felt this was the best hitch. Never heard of anyone having trouble with it.
One thing with the Equalizer that My dealer told me about is that it's sometimes loud as you turn slow such as backing into a campsite. But the noise is normal, nothing to be concerned about.
I paid $750 for the Equalizer installed.

At this point I'm baffled why someone would pay over $2k for a Pro Pride?

I'd be interested in hearing from someone who first went with an equalizer and later felt it worthwhile to switch to the Pro Pride.

What is better on the Pro Pride that makes it worth 3X the price. Where did the Equalizer fail?
Scott59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 03:11 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2017 28' Flying Cloud
Southwest Ranches , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott59 View Post
I have been pulling my 2017 30' International with a 2016 GMC 2500 HD and an Equalizer 1,000/10,000. My dealer felt this was the best hitch. Never heard of anyone having trouble with it.
One thing with the Equalizer that My dealer told me about is that it's sometimes loud as you turn slow such as backing into a campsite. But the noise is normal, nothing to be concerned about.

I'd be interested in hearing from someone who first went with an equalizer and later felt it worthwhile to switch to the Pro Pride.

What is better on the Pro Pride that makes it worth 3X the price. Where did the Equalizer fail?
I also wonder about that. My trailer doesn't sway so why should I pay that much for a sway control hitch?
Mergatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:22 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
. . . At this point I'm baffled why someone would pay over $2k for a Pro Pride?

That would be us, Eq to ProPride and the stability and relaxed towing is in a different league.

Partly explained in our post #29 in this thread:

"The square rigid bars have excellent w.d. but have almost no flexibility so the ride of the combination and stress on the trailer a-frame is in question (one reason we quit using it). There is also limited sway resistance in the four friction points on the hitch, and that sway resistance also keeps the trailer from returning to center in certain conditions, like an icy road (another reason we quit using it).

The Hensley/ProPride design is entirely different. Weight distribution and sway control functions are independent of each other. The w.d. is easily and infinitely adjustable to each load or condition with its w.d. screw jacks. The sway elimination is achieved not by friction or some other device, but by projecting the hitch pivot point forward to the truck's rear axle, where any side force is stopped. Like a fifth wheel or semi. All others have the pivot point on the hitch ball well behind the truck's rear axle where any side movement is leveraged forward to the truck's steering axle. Sometimes there is little lateral force leveraged forward, and sometimes there is a great deal of lateral force leveraged forward, which is why restoration of steering axle weight and longer truck wheelbase are useful with conventional hitches such as the EQ and BO. Unless you hit a patch of ice."

Old 04-15-2017, 07:43 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
ProPrides or Hensleys are deigned to never allow sway. Good! It is a trapezoid design. Look it up it and it will convince you, once you understand the physics. All other hitches require some type of dampening system. Either internal or external. The dampening system must be turned off (loosened), if you encounter any kind of slippery condition, i.e., rain, ice, sleet or snow. Otherwise the tail will wag the dog. Bad! Hitching up and unhitching is a matter of learning not inconvenience. Of course, I cheat and use a rearview camera.
Hensley puts their hitches on sale in the winter. They also sell (like new) reconditioned hitches with warranty for a significant discount. ProPride may have the same offers. I can't see saving a few dollars at the risk of totaling a $100-150,000 rig combination with a less safer hitch system. You won't need it until you do!
guskmg
Yah; but they're so damned heavy!
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:52 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Quote:

I'm going to have to agree with Doug here as well. As mentioned in my prior post, I pulled many miles with 2 F150's using an equal-i-zer hitch with both an 25FC and a 28FC. Went to a Pro Pride after others had told me some of their experiences and the experiences I had in very high cross winds and Semi's passing, etc. Though not significant sway with the Semis, sway none the less. With the Pro Pride, none at all. Drove through New Mexico and West Texas on I10 a month or so ago with significant cross winds and had no issue. In fact the closed the highway later that evening and the next day due to winds and dust.

Doug goes into the details of the hitch very accurately. One additional thing I like is that with the Equal-i-zer, if you do vary the loads in your truck from trip to trip, not really an easy way to adjust your set up. On the Pro Pride, easily crank your WD jacks up or down and you will still be perfectly set up. No need to add a washer, or lower/raise the stinger setup. You are pulling an expensive trailer, significant amount in most tow vehicles and your life. A couple of thousand dollars to me is well worth the protection afforded.

It's an individuals decision on which way to go. I had the Equal-i-zer (still have in my garage) but I would never go back to it after using the ProPride. The stability it offers and smoothness in pulling is superior to that experience I had with the Equal-i-zer.

Chuck
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:07 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
Yah; but they're so damned heavy!
Are they? Our Hensley/ProPride head, w.d. bars, and w.d. screw jacks are all bolted to the Airstream's tongue and it stays there. The only part we handle is the stinger, and when camping I pull ahead a foot after unlatching, and slide the stinger back into the head where it remans until we hitch up again. Incredibly easy.

The hitch extends the distance from the truck's receiver to the trailer axles. This extra length provides greater leverage so no Hensley/ProPride hitch weight is added to the truck, it's carried by the trailer axles with w.d. set. The extra length also allow us to lower our truck's tail gate with plenty of clearance from the tongue jack when hitched up.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:23 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
The hitch extends the distance from the truck's receiver to the trailer axles. This extra length provides greater leverage so no Hensley/ProPride hitch weight is added to the truck, it's carried by the trailer axles with w.d. set.
Not sure if this is correct. Here is a forum member that actually weighed his setup before/after installing ProPride. As expected, the tongue weight went up about 200#.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ml#post1307286

We own a unibody SUV and the extra weight of ProPride would put us over the hitch receiver rating, hence, we cannot consider ProPride. So, the excessive weight of the hitch is indeed a limitation for some. Also, our current setup is comfortable enough that I don't see a need for an upgrade (can understand when folks with white knuckle experience do the upgrade). Personally, I think the best solution is the simplest solution. Our hitch weighs/costs a fraction of ProPride, can be installed/uninstalled in 30 minutes, and is composed of less than 15 parts. Very simple and easy to understand. Finally, I do not believe ProPride provides additional "safety", as most accidents happen due to excessive speeding and not paying attention to your surrounding, not due to sway. I'm sure ProPride is a great hitch. But like any other hitches it has pros and cons. People should decide on a hitch based on their personal requirements.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:40 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I'd like to see the scale weights of a loaded F-150 Platinum (or a similar 1/2 ton truck) and newer FC 25 using a Blue Ox w.d. hitch, to see if it can restore the truck's steering axle to its unloaded weight.

Looking at the flex in the w.d. bars, I would be surprised if it can, and this combination needs full weight distribution for good steering control in all conditions, resistance to sway, and transfer some load off the truck axles to the trailer axles.

"Works fine" only goes so far (and we are talking a gas engine 1/2 ton truck here), the weight scales will be needed to evaluate safety and actual performance capability for this combination.
FYI
I used the Blue Ox hitch on our 2012 F-150 Platinum EB and 30' As International for two years. Tongue weight @ 1000 lbs, it distributed the weight to both the TV front axle and AS axles perfectly. Did a superb job over the two previous hitches I experimented with.
The F-150 rear axle used to settle 2.5" and it leveled the truck.
Recently I did trade the F-150 to a 2017 F-250 Diesel but kept the hitch.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:46 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergatroyd View Post
I also wonder about that. My trailer doesn't sway so why should I pay that much for a sway control hitch?
The Equlizer is a great hitch however the AS ride is harsh because of the Trunion bars. I started out with an Equalizer and now I use the Blue Ox, the difference in the ride of the AS is day and night.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:57 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlabs View Post
I'm going to have to agree with Doug here as well. As mentioned in my prior post, I pulled many miles with 2 F150's using an equal-i-zer hitch with both an 25FC and a 28FC. Went to a Pro Pride after others had told me some of their experiences and the experiences I had in very high cross winds and Semi's passing, etc. Though not significant sway with the Semis, sway none the less. With the Pro Pride, none at all. Drove through New Mexico and West Texas on I10 a month or so ago with significant cross winds and had no issue. In fact the closed the highway later that evening and the next day due to winds and dust.

Doug goes into the details of the hitch very accurately. One additional thing I like is that with the Equal-i-zer, if you do vary the loads in your truck from trip to trip, not really an easy way to adjust your set up. On the Pro Pride, easily crank your WD jacks up or down and you will still be perfectly set up. No need to add a washer, or lower/raise the stinger setup. You are pulling an expensive trailer, significant amount in most tow vehicles and your life. A couple of thousand dollars to me is well worth the protection afforded.

It's an individuals decision on which way to go. I had the Equal-i-zer (still have in my garage) but I would never go back to it after using the ProPride. The stability it offers and smoothness in pulling is superior to that experience I had with the Equal-i-zer.

Chuck
I am trying to wrap my head around all this stability over hype of the PP and the Hensley. Its like saying someone is wet all over or drenched.
I have perfect stability with my Blue Ox period. It can't get more stable than stable. As to hitting a patch of Ice ? You can't be serious !
The only thing that will save you under adverse conditions is to have the sense not to expose yourself to it. When you slide on ice your ProPride,TV and AS will slide with you. Unless the PP has a hidden set of tire crampons that suddenly materialize. I don't recall reading about that feature in the 24 page installation manual.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I am trying to wrap my head around all this stability over hype of the PP and the Hensley. Its like saying someone is wet all over or drenched.
I have perfect stability with my Blue Ox period. It can't get more stable than stable. As to hitting a patch of Ice ? You can't be serious !
The only thing that will save you under adverse conditions is to have the sense not to expose yourself to it. When you slide on ice your ProPride,TV and AS will slide with you. Unless the PP has a hidden set of tire crampons that suddenly materialize. I don't recall reading about that feature in the 24 page installation manual.
Not quite sure where in my quote referenced above I mentioned ice, but read what you want. I responded to my experience between equalizer to PP. I am happy with it. Not pushing it to anyone else, just relaying an experience. I hear good things on Blue Ox, but can't comment about it as never owned. I've owned the Equalizer and PP and that is what was communicated. The decision to purchase one or another is not mine. Equalizer is good, as mentioned. I am just happier with the PP as you appear to be with your Blue Ox.

Chuck
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:32 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2017 28' Flying Cloud
Southwest Ranches , Florida
I believe that if your trailer is loaded properly it won't sway. I tow with 15% on the tongue and it's impossible for it to sway. I even tried to make it sway and it just won't.
Mergatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:02 PM   #56
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Not sure if this is correct. Here is a forum member that actually weighed his setup before/after installing ProPride. As expected, the tongue weight went up about 200#.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ml#post1307286

We own a unibody SUV and the extra weight of ProPride would put us over the hitch receiver rating, hence, we cannot consider ProPride. So, the excessive weight of the hitch is indeed a limitation for some. Also, our current setup is comfortable enough that I don't see a need for an upgrade (can understand when folks with white knuckle experience do the upgrade). Personally, I think the best solution is the simplest solution. Our hitch weighs/costs a fraction of ProPride, can be installed/uninstalled in 30 minutes, and is composed of less than 15 parts. Very simple and easy to understand. Finally, I do not believe ProPride provides additional "safety", as most accidents happen due to excessive speeding and not paying attention to your surrounding, not due to sway. I'm sure ProPride is a great hitch. But like any other hitches it has pros and cons. People should decide on a hitch based on their personal requirements.
Answer to whether weight is added or not seems to go both ways. Quote from another forum:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1434405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyazai View Post
I learned something valuable today. After lots of research into whether or not a Hensley (or similar) hitch ADDS to tongue weight or not (Hensley says it doesn't, many others say it does), I decided to buy a Shirline scale and actually measure it. I have a Cherokee 23BD with a stated dry tongue weight of 488lbs. My TV has a max tongue weight rating of 550lbs, and the Hensley Cub weighs about 185lbs so I knew I had to find out for sure. First I put the scale under the trailers foot, and measured 760lbs! But that includes propane, battery, and a loaded TT. And also the foot is about a foot behind the ball coupler. So next I put the scale under the Hensley "stinger" at the point where it connects to the TV receiver, to measure the actual weight exerted on the receiver itself. To my surprise, it was 480lbs with the trailer lifted off the foot completely! So it actually LOWERED the effective tongue weight from dry, despite the TT being loaded! I repeated these measurements a few times because I didn't believe it, but same result each time. Once I thought about it, it made total sense. The Hensley itself adds about 12" in distance between the receiver and the ball coupler, in fact with the stinger included it's probably more like 24". This extra leverage creates a mechanical advantage, reducing the amount of force it takes to "lift" the TT. Like putting longer handles on a wheelbarrow, even if those handles are heavy themselves. So by measuring I proved to myself that the Hensley (and similar designs) does in fact negate its own weight, and then some. Hope this is useful to anyone that's wondered the same thing, and if I'm missing something important please let me know! Thanks!
YMMV
Old 04-16-2017, 12:31 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The mechanical sway control of a HaHa or PeePee can be determined and yes they will control sway. The question is cost, weight, difficulty hitching on other than level ground, and overkill. As of for the Equalizer and Blue Ox there mechanical sway control is just not there. It is a myth at best. The simple friction aspects of those hitches may over time reduce an oscillation but the lack of a centering position greatly prolongs that result. The Reese systems, both Dual Cam and Straight Line, have a centering position thus each oscillation has to exerts force to go beyond that position and reduces sway. The problem with a Reese is there difficulty in initial installation, something almost no dealer will ever do right because of the time necessary.
A reasonable choice if you can get it install correctly.

Now all that said I use an Andersen with a aftermarket couple. It covers all the problem of the others ans works great.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:28 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I've used the Equal-I-Zer, Andersen, and ProPride. I haven't posted my experience with Andersen, it's so inept in the application of a half-ton truck and medium size Airstream it doesn't deserve mention.

Among it's myriad problems well-covered in this forum, the basic issue is it does not have the leverage to distribute the hitch weight of a medium to large Airstream. With a half-ton truck (such as the original poster has, as well as us), the steering axle will be light, the rear axle probably overloaded, and braking and steering control will be greatly diminished. An effort to tighten the chains to get more weight distribution will not work, the leverage is not there. Try to tighten the chains to add tension and the hitch components over time will self-destruct, our Andersen had several failing components in 4,000 miles.

The Andersen may work better when the owner does't feel he needs significant weight distribution, such as with a light weight trailer (Casita). Or a large tow vehicle with a very heavy diesel or gas engine maintaining weight on the steering axle. There still remains the issue of a hitch with sway control friction that will resist centering.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:13 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
I use an Andersen with a 26' Avion and it actually performs very well. I restore 50% of front axle weight. Nowadays, most hitch and car companies recommend only 50% front axle weight restoration as removing too much weight from the rear axle increases the possibility of jackknifing. The combo is stable and I can have 2 fingers on the steering wheel when semis pass me at 80 MPH on highways. I love the simplicity of the design, its light weight and reasonable price. So, regarding Andersen (as with any other hitch), YMMV.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:15 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
If the original poster loaded his F-150 and Airstream for travel and only restored 50% of his axle weight (if that was even possible with an Andersen hitch), his problem would not be removing too much weight from the rear axle, it would more probably be an overloaded rear axle.

Our experience with three half-ton trucks and two Airstreams traveling the country extensively coast to coast may times, is the trucks will handle and stop best when the truck's axles are loaded evenly. On half-ton trucks towing a mid-size Airstream with 50% steering axle weight restoration, we would consider this an unsafe condition, soon realized on the first slippery road, oil, snow, ice or heavy rain. Our Andersen hitch taught us that lesson, and prompted us to wise-up and get the ProPride.