Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2017, 08:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Queen Creek , Arizona
Best WDH Advice for F-150 and FC 25, please!

We now have the requisite 1000 miles on our new 2017 F-150 Platinum and it is now ready for towing. And, in parallel, just this week, our factory new FC 25A, Twin arrived at the dealer. So, it's time for us to decide/declare what WDH to have Orange County Airstream install for us. I've read the forums at length - lot's of options and so many opinions on the WDH brands up to and including PP. So, what succinct, best analytic advice might the community give me. The dealer offers/suggests Blue OX or Equalizer, but will do PP or Hensley, if I request it and think the uncharge is warranted. I know this is very important. So I'm all ears! (I'm a total Newbie). In advance, thanks!
rbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:02 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Blue Ox
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Unless you like getting pushed around on the interstates by the bow wave of semi's and gusting crosswinds, get the ProPride/Hensley design. They provide unmatched safety, comfort and relaxed towing. The additional length of these hitches allows your truck tail gate to open when hitched, and the leverage of the additional length from hitch receiver to trailer axles allows the hitch to add no extra weight to your truck's load. We regret wasting money on the other hitches before finally putting on our ProPride. You'll most probably need the 1400 lb weight distribution bars to ensure full weight distribution.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
X2 on the ProPride.

Interesting post in the Unofficial PP thread (original post has a picture of the damage):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiobrits View Post
I have another data point indicating how well the ProPride works.

I was traveling south on the interstate in Alabama at about 70. I was in the inside lane and a car was on my outside maybe half a car length in front of my TV. He saw his exit coming up on the right and braked hard down my outside to get across behind me. Only one problem, he started to turn in before clearing the rear of the AS. He hit just behind the rear axle and slid along the side of the AS until he either cleared the rear or turned back out. From the TV I felt a thud coming through the hitch but the rig stayed perfectly straight, no steering input required. In fact I was not entirely sure anyone had hit me. I did see the car weaving around behind me in the middle of the 2 lane highway and then pulling over so I assumed something had happened. I stopped a few miles down the road and checked for damage.

I'm not sure how well a conventional hitch would have done with a firm nudge rear of the AS axle but I'm glad I did not find out. I'll be keeping the ProPride.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Equal-i-zer rated number 1 year after year in Trailer Life Magazine. No need to spend a ton for a hitch that is heavy and you need to have three men and a boy to lift it.
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
As you state in your opening. Lots of thoughts on this.
We have towed a 25fb for over 4 years and 25k in all conditions and don't see the need for anything other that our equal-I-zer.
Read all the forums , and there are many. In the end you will have to just make a choice.
Just remember that you have picked the most stable trailer out there to tow and the reasoning that since you have spent so much on the trailer that it just naturally means you have to spend a proportional amount on a hitch, doesn't follow.
Check around.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:42 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
There are a ton of opinions on this subject, many of which are conflicting. Most like what they're using.

If you want a single source, call Andy Thomson at CanAmRV. He's been at this for decades, has tested most all hitch systems and can give you good advice.

Personally (and put this in the same basket as all the other many opinions) I have a simple Curt hitch with Husky friction sway bar, and I don't get pushed around by bow waves or crosswinds. But then I tow at 60 MPH.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I am truly puzzled. If you read through most of the posts on the forum, you already knew the diverse opinions. Why ask the question again?
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:46 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2017 28' Flying Cloud
Southwest Ranches , Florida
Airstreams are not prone to sway. I think all the trailer sway horror stories are coming come from those large shoe-box type trailers on skinny wheels that are loaded back-end heavy.
Mergatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Wrong! Last year some friends of ours had a total loss of truck and Airstream due to sway....do not become complacent because you think an Airstream is special.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:05 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2017 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Wrong! Last year some friends of ours had a total loss of truck and Airstream due to sway....do not become complacent because you think an Airstream is special.
Larry
I bet he was loaded back-end heavy.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:11 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
I had a Reese Strait-Line hitch previously and loved it. I wanted that same hitch on my new AS. The dealer pointed out that it required drilling the frame, whereas the Equal-I-zer hitch they were pushing hard for did not.
Since AS runs wiring inside the frame, this is a consideration. And I really didn't want holes drilled in my new rig.
After reading all of the Equal-I-zer reviews I agreed to it. So far it's all I ever wanted in a hitch.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:17 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , North Carolina
Propride Rules

The tow a 30 FC Bunk with a 2016 Ram Ecodiesel. One hitch didn't work for me. Not going to bad mouth the company. Good product and customer service.

Purchased a Propride. What a difference. Hardly know it is back there compared to other hitch. I think the biggest advantage to the Propride over the Hensley is the ability to change hitch height. Our son is using trailer next week and I can adjust it to fit his F-150.

If budget is an issue I would go with Equalizer. My research suggests they would be my 3rd choice behind Hensley and Propride.
jim6090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Most hitches when installed and setup properly work fine. The hitches you mention (Blue Ox, Equalizer, ProPride, and Hensley) are all good. If it was my money, and I was picking between those 4 hitches, I would go with BlueOx.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Agree that most like their hitches when dialed in correctly.

I chose the Blue Ox on a dealer's recommendation. I like the quality, tapered bars, rotating latches, no pins to lose, mostly contained grease, ease of installation and adjustment, sway control design, and great customer service.

I don't like that it weighs 74#, has low ground clearance and the long receiver drop needed for my truck.

Every hitch has its negatives, yet everyone only talks about its positives. Maybe the question should be rephrased "What don't you like about your current hitch?"
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:26 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2017 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
I don't like that it weighs 74#, has low ground clearance and the long receiver drop needed for my truck.
Agreed. Some of these hitches are so heavy, and the worst place to put a heavy load is far away from the trailer axles. Of all the hitches I've looked at the Anderson is the lightest. It also makes a nice, neat package. I'm not sure if it's problem-free, though.

Ground clearance is a problem if you're towing with an SUV. I had to cut two inches off my Equalizer hitch shank to keep from bottoming out.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:27 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
I have had 5 airstreams. I have had Equalizer and Blue Ox both and pulled many miles with each.

Blue Ox wins hands down...much easier to work hooking up and unhooking, much less noise when driving turning etc., and you can backup your trailer without undoing the bars.

Both will do the job...just Blue Ox does it better.

With your truck you don't need the expensive heavy hard to dial in ProPride Hensley hitches. Save your money and back for more fun things.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:37 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
There are so many choices and all of the WD hitch fanboys are going to tell you how great their hitch is. That's fine, but do the math yourself, load your truck and trailer carefully, and determine if you really need a WD hitch. Ignore the fearmongering and if you decide a WD hitch is necessary for your load and your truck's towing specs, then choose the lightest, least obtrusive hitch with good ground clearance because, no matter the brand, you will get same end result- distribution of weight off of the truck and back to the trailer. I think user ease should be the deciding factor for your choice of a WD hitch. For the record, I don't use WD or sway control and don't need it with my TV and lite trailer.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:48 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Ocala , Florida
I have a 2016 F150 Platinum and a 2017 Flying Cloud 27FB - I have the equal-I-zer 4 point and it pulls it like a dream.

I recently left a campground near Columbus Georgia at 7:30 pm due to severe storms coming the next day. The point being I had 5 hours of interstate 75 at night with LOTS of tractor trailers. No sway - no getting pushed around by bow waves from the truck.

It is really easy to hook up and unhook.

I am sure they all work fine if set up properly ~~ since I have similar truck and trailer I thought i would chime in.

Mikenbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:25 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikextr View Post
There are so many choices and all of the WD hitch fanboys are going to tell you how great their hitch is. That's fine, but do the math yourself, load your truck and trailer carefully, and determine if you really need a WD hitch. Ignore the fearmongering and if you decide a WD hitch is necessary for your load and your truck's towing specs, then choose the lightest, least obtrusive hitch with good ground clearance because, no matter the brand, you will get same end result- distribution of weight off of the truck and back to the trailer. I think user ease should be the deciding factor for your choice of a WD hitch. For the record, I don't use WD or sway control and don't need it with my TV and lite trailer.

I would be real careful following this advice. It looks like all the FC 25' models have a base weight greater than 5500 pounds. I believe all 1/2 ton trucks require WD hitches pulling loads greater than 5000 pounds. That FC 25' loaded for camping will probably be closer to 7000 pounds and the WD hitch really is a must then.
mwkersh is offline   Reply With Quote