Old 04-16-2017, 12:31 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The mechanical sway control of a HaHa or PeePee can be determined and yes they will control sway. The question is cost, weight, difficulty hitching on other than level ground, and overkill. As of for the Equalizer and Blue Ox there mechanical sway control is just not there. It is a myth at best. The simple friction aspects of those hitches may over time reduce an oscillation but the lack of a centering position greatly prolongs that result. The Reese systems, both Dual Cam and Straight Line, have a centering position thus each oscillation has to exerts force to go beyond that position and reduces sway. The problem with a Reese is there difficulty in initial installation, something almost no dealer will ever do right because of the time necessary.
A reasonable choice if you can get it install correctly.

Now all that said I use an Andersen with a aftermarket couple. It covers all the problem of the others ans works great.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:28 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I've used the Equal-I-Zer, Andersen, and ProPride. I haven't posted my experience with Andersen, it's so inept in the application of a half-ton truck and medium size Airstream it doesn't deserve mention.

Among it's myriad problems well-covered in this forum, the basic issue is it does not have the leverage to distribute the hitch weight of a medium to large Airstream. With a half-ton truck (such as the original poster has, as well as us), the steering axle will be light, the rear axle probably overloaded, and braking and steering control will be greatly diminished. An effort to tighten the chains to get more weight distribution will not work, the leverage is not there. Try to tighten the chains to add tension and the hitch components over time will self-destruct, our Andersen had several failing components in 4,000 miles.

The Andersen may work better when the owner does't feel he needs significant weight distribution, such as with a light weight trailer (Casita). Or a large tow vehicle with a very heavy diesel or gas engine maintaining weight on the steering axle. There still remains the issue of a hitch with sway control friction that will resist centering.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:13 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
I use an Andersen with a 26' Avion and it actually performs very well. I restore 50% of front axle weight. Nowadays, most hitch and car companies recommend only 50% front axle weight restoration as removing too much weight from the rear axle increases the possibility of jackknifing. The combo is stable and I can have 2 fingers on the steering wheel when semis pass me at 80 MPH on highways. I love the simplicity of the design, its light weight and reasonable price. So, regarding Andersen (as with any other hitch), YMMV.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:15 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
If the original poster loaded his F-150 and Airstream for travel and only restored 50% of his axle weight (if that was even possible with an Andersen hitch), his problem would not be removing too much weight from the rear axle, it would more probably be an overloaded rear axle.

Our experience with three half-ton trucks and two Airstreams traveling the country extensively coast to coast may times, is the trucks will handle and stop best when the truck's axles are loaded evenly. On half-ton trucks towing a mid-size Airstream with 50% steering axle weight restoration, we would consider this an unsafe condition, soon realized on the first slippery road, oil, snow, ice or heavy rain. Our Andersen hitch taught us that lesson, and prompted us to wise-up and get the ProPride.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:45 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Happy ProPride user here. The 25 foot Airstreams often have a higher tongue weight than the longer trailers because much of the internal storage that you fill up on long trips is forward of the axles. With a half ton, you will definitely need weight distribution to shift some weight to your truck's steering axle.
We were total newbies when we started an 8- month 30,000 mile Odyssey in 2015 (we'll, we had done two local weekend trips for practice). Using the backup camera, hitching became a one-person operation. The hitch performed flawlessly as advertised. I just felt that, given the total cost of my rig (new truck and trailer), the hitch was no place to economize. Remember, ProPride and Hensley both sell direct; no profit for the dealers.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #62
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Here is a link to Ford's 2017 RV & Trailer Towing Guide.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...wing_Guide.pdf

On page 34 it says that weight distribution hitch should restore 50% of the front axle load on an F250 and 25% of the front axle load on an F150. I have had very good results with 50% front axle load restoration with my SUV and Andersen hitch. Again, YMMV. I generally stay away from slippery roads, that are oil(?) or ice covered, even when not towing. Its better to pull over and wait for the conditions to improve. Continuing to drive just because you have a complex hitch in these situations is not prudent IMO.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
San Marcos , California
I had a Blue Ox installed by Orange County Airstream last year at the same time I picked up my 28' International, it has max weight of 7600.

Orange County Airstream didn't install the break away cable correctly, in other words nothing would break away if the trailer disconnected so I'd watch out for that.

I put 6k miles towing using a RAM EcoDiesel and had zero issues, another 3k using an F250 and still no issues.

Someone mentioned that Blue Ox uses friction, it does not it uses a cam type action.

Most people will say that the brand of their WDH is the best and to use anything else is dangerous, well I would say the Blue Ox has worked fine and I'm sure there are other that are just as good and maybe even better.
Mgieselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:53 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Spruce Grove , Alberta
Good luck. Your day is coming.
wvollans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:58 AM   #65
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I am trying to wrap my head around all this stability over hype of the PP and the Hensley. Its like saying someone is wet all over or drenched.

I have perfect stability with my Blue Ox period. It can't get more stable than stable. As to hitting a patch of Ice ? You can't be serious !

The only thing that will save you under adverse conditions is to have the sense not to expose yourself to it. When you slide on ice your ProPride,TV and AS will slide with you. Unless the PP has a hidden set of tire crampons that suddenly materialize. I don't recall reading about that feature in the 24 page installation manual.

With a flick of the wrist at the wheel anyone can put your rig in the ditch.

With a Hensley design hitch, can't.

As to your Hitch stability otherwise, I'd be glad to pass you too closely in an eighteen wheeler while overtaking 15-mph above your speed.

Buh-bye.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:25 AM   #66
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
With a flick of the wrist at the wheel anyone can put your rig in the ditch.

With a Hensley design hitch, can't.

As to your Hitch stability otherwise, I'd be glad to pass you too closely in an eighteen wheeler while overtaking 15-mph above your speed.

Buh-bye.
So now you are threatening someone who disagrees with you? Luckily most truck drivers disagree with you.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:29 AM   #67
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
So sad. Another "what hitch do I need post" and another OP that never says another word once the debate starts.

Personally I enjoy these threads, finding them educational. No matter how much we defend our truck, our Airstream floor plan choice, or hitch, or tires, or lawn chair, we can always learn from someone else.

Thanks all for your input, as we can always learn.

Stream on.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Are they? Our Hensley/ProPride head, w.d. bars, and w.d. screw jacks are all bolted to the Airstream's tongue and it stays there. The only part we handle is the stinger, and when camping I pull ahead a foot after unlatching, and slide the stinger back into the head where it remans until we hitch up again. Incredibly easy.

The hitch extends the distance from the truck's receiver to the trailer axles. This extra length provides greater leverage so no Hensley/ProPride hitch weight is added to the truck, it's carried by the trailer axles with w.d. set. The extra length also allow us to lower our truck's tail gate with plenty of clearance from the tongue jack when hitched up.
Fact,
I can easily open my Tailgate with my Blue Ox hitch.
I did watch an old fellow at JC last summer hooking up with his Stinger. He was struggling mightily. Easy it was not. Made me feel real god about my Blue Ox watching him.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Finally had to jump in. You sure have a thing against ProPride! The only hitch I have ever had on my Airstream and I love it. Yes there is a learning curve, but once you are through that, it is not any harder than any other hitch. Conversely, the physics are clear, there are situations where a ProPride will outperform other hitches. You personally may not have experienced sway but it is obvious that others have. If you are happy with your hitch, fine, but I cannot see why you have to beat up those who have opted for something else.
Larry
lsbrodsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
So now you are threatening someone who disagrees with you? Luckily most truck drivers disagree with you.

We choose our equipment for a mirad of personal reasoning. We buy into a concept, idea, looks whatever and go with it.
To suggest that there is only one safe combination of hitch, TV, trailer etc. is pointless and arrogant seeing the hundreds of thousands of Campers safely traversing our highways and byways every day without an incident with all sorts of equipment.
If your Pro Pride or Hensley gives you a confident feeling because you convinced yourself that it is the best of the best good for you. However realize that others have not and never will. Competition is a great thing, we can pick and choose to our hearts delight in the many things to buy and enjoy.

franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote