Old 10-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #71
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
And I was about to email you when I saw it's a 2 wheel drive. Dang. A truck from a sober preacher who bought it from a widow ( who only drove it on sundays to church, right?)

Oh well. It's a pickup truck. We're liking the SUV concept, and no compromise on the 4 wheel drive. I should show you some photos of where we are planning to install two full hookups on our property. It's across a pasture, behind some boulders, and down a hill.....

I bet someone on this forum is interested, though. Good luck, Padre!

Old 10-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
Gringo,

RE: comments about a sober preacher. The first time I ever rode in excess of 100 mph was in a 1953 Lincoln in the summer of 1957 on the way to Vernal driven by a sober preacher from Provo! He was my sister's father-in-law.

Gene

Old 10-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #73
one of those

2011 27 FB International
you mean Provo, Utah, right? Funny you say that. The island we live on is Providenciales, but everybody calls it Provo.

If I'm going to share the road with preachers who drive 100 mph, I just hope they're all sober ones.

And I bet you know the song about the plastic Jesus already.

another question for you experienced used TV pilots...
A lot of the photos I am seeing online show the wear and tear on the front seat edges. Especially the driver's seat. Some of the pleather ones have big rips in them. Have any of you guys had the bucket seats in a big Ford ( or Dodge!) reupholstered? Any ideas what that should cost?
Old 10-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1912298819.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	446.4 KB
ID:	197076

Evidently not....
Old 10-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
another question for you experienced used TV pilots...
A lot of the photos I am seeing online show the wear and tear on the front seat edges. Especially the driver's seat. Some of the pleather ones have big rips in them. Have any of you guys had the bucket seats in a big Ford ( or Dodge!) reupholstered? Any ideas what that should cost?
A few of the blokes in the Excursion forum have installed these skins as an aftermarket option with very good success.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #76
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
A few of the blokes in the Excursion forum have installed these skins as an aftermarket option with very good success.

Nice. Of course the application software says it's not compatible with an Excursion.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Nice. Of course the application software says it's not compatible with an Excursion.
Yeah, I assure you, they are though. All super duty's stuff is a direct bolt (front seats at least) with the Ex.

They also have some leather ones that aren't two toned as well but they're around $450 if memory serves.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #78
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
First of all, I want to complement everybody who contributed to this thread for keeping it civil. The "Truck Wars" threads have gotten to be pretty boring. This is a good read thread with useful info. Thanks guys. We recently went on our search for a new TV. Here's the background and the results.

We typically put only 3k to 5k per year on the TV. Not a lot, so maybe gas mileage is bit less important. We were more looking for a reliable, comfortable truck. Wanted a 3/4 ton, have been towing with a '98 Ford F150 XLT Lariat for the past few years and it's just getting too old for the task (it's also for sale, btw ).

We found a 2002 F250 4X4 V10 gasser, 7 foot bed that appears to have been pampered fairly well. 152k miles on it when we picked it up. Very comfortable ride for a Super Duty truck. Tows the Airstream like it's not even there. Since we bought it (early August) we've towed twice. Up to the Georgia mountains (about 300 miles round trip) and up to Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area (about 750 miles round trip). Could not be happier. Love this truck. A buddy looked at it and said it's a "truck to last a lifetime". A bit optimistic, but if we can get 8 to 10 years good service, I'll be happy. Purchase price was $10k. Reasonable, middle of the blue book (depending on what you want to believe on the internet).

Only drawback is that the mileage is really bad. 10-11 MPG towing, even worse around town. But then, we don't use it as a daily driver, so I'm good with the MPG's.

Good luck on your search.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post
Attachment 197076

Evidently not....
my Exc passenger seat has been like that since I bought it. I use a leather conditioner so it hasn't gotten any worse.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #80
4 Rivet Member

If you do wind up considering a 5.9 Cummins, be sure to check for the known problems: possibility of cracked blocks (known as the "53" block I think), pins that can back out and cause bad damage (the "dowel pin" syndrome), failed fuel lift pumps that can cause inadequate fuel delivery and very expensive damage to high pressure fuel pumps.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #81
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Way back in Post #50 gringo asked "I did a couple quick searches, and didn't immediately see any 4x4 or AWD vans big enough to tow the 27. Who makes a 3/4 ton 4x4 van?"

The 2014 GMC Savana van model 3500 has an option for 4WD and a duramax diesel option. The engine is 6.6L but it is not the same duramax diesel engine in the HD pickups. The pickups come with a LML duramax, the van with a LGH duramax - whatever that means - but they are different. The van engine has lower HP and torque ratings. Tow rating on the van is 10,000 pounds however.

On Monday I placed my order for a GMC 2500 HD pickup, and then discovered these vans. I am now trying to follow the advice someone posted a while back: once you pick a tow vehicle, quit looking and enjoy the ride!
Old 10-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #82
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look at GMC vans, but it would have to be an older one. We can't justify a new vehicle to sit in storage most of the year, making only noises of depreciation.

Can someone tell me about the mirrors on the Excursions? Are they okay for towing an AS or should I be also budgeting for some aftermarket side mirrors?
Old 10-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Ford makes heavy duty vans E-250 and E-350. I grew up in vans and there is nothing as versitile as a van.

Perry
Old 10-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #84
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Me too. My second vehicle was a Falcon Econoline with the straight six 170. The engine was between the seats, your feet were ahead of the front wheels. I turned that into a surfing buggy in the 60's. Had an E-150 in the 70's, and an E-350 was the basis for my Fleetwood Jamboree, 26 ft. Class C. I think they also make an E-450.

But I don't recall ever seeing a diesel or 4x4 Econoline anything from the factory.