Old 02-09-2015, 10:08 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Chelmsford , Massachusetts
It seems the VWs have average reliability (CU reports) as do 1/2 ton PUs. I first considered a Ram 1500 diesel PU, then a Camry V6, and now the VW dieselL The Camry has Toyota reliability, as in the example above of TCwheels Lexus.(Hi D.) and is my back-up choice. I highly value MPG, and Euro-diesels have a proven track record.

Diesels are associated with heavy trucks in the US, but in Europe their fuel economy has been exploited by sedans for decades. (I drove one there twenty-five years ago.)
I intend to keep the VW for the duration (but who knows) and at 72, it has to be a rational choice even after I stop traveling. The VW diesel seems to fill the bill.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I checked out VW website and they are stingy on specs for their cars.

FC 20 has a published hitch weight of 631. Add another 150lbs because Airstream's published hitch weights are low in real world use.

I guess you'd have to take the car to CanAm to get the hitch installed/reinforced and a WDH installed to get it set up correctly. He may advise different tires too.

Let us know how all this works out.

Kelvin

Old 02-10-2015, 06:20 AM   #31
Builder of Diesel Jeeps

2014 28' International
Sedona , Arizona
The C series diesel (the Clean Diesel) is a proven engine, with the CJA being the two I own and test (one in a 13 Sportwagen, one on the test stand). The wagon has the ZF built automated manual transmission "DSG", which has also held-up to long-distance travel with the car loaded to "almost" it's gross weight (I'm in denial about my weight) Now, this isn't too relevant to the VW platform posts above, but another modern TDI I'm testing in a Wrangler has successfully test-pulled my flatbed utility trailer with a gross of 2800, the TV curb was 3334. For the trip, mileage was 19 mpg; keep in mind this is a 4x4 vehicle, lifted 3" on 33" tires. I have not towed anything with the Sportwagen; however on the cross country trip mentioned above, the average MPG @70 mph was 44.
westernjeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:56 PM   #32
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I checked out VW website and they are stingy on specs for their cars.

FC 20 has a published hitch weight of 631. Add another 150lbs because Airstream's published hitch weights are low in real world use.

I guess you'd have to take the car to CanAm to get the hitch installed/reinforced and a WDH installed to get it set up correctly. He may advise different tires too.

Let us know how all this works out.

Kelvin

A schematic is all that is needed. A local welder can do it. No different than what we did forty or fifty years ago. And a better hitch receiver than off the shelf.

That said, the distances aren't much compared to what we're used to out here, even if the travel time is greater due to population density.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:18 PM   #33
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
[QUOTE=The Jetta sedan seemed the best balance of size, cost, carrying capacity and FE, and very suitable for a daily driver, when I read Andrew T's post above, and took another look at the Passat.
Andrew T, these cars all have very similar specs, so is it just a question of comfort?
QUOTE]

The Passat is quieter and more spacious. The main handling difference is the Passat has a 6" longer wheelbase and the rear overhang is only 2" longer as well it has a little wider track. Both work but I was surprised how good the Passat was when I drove it. One thing the 16" tires on the Passat could be a little better but with a 20' Airstream it is not critical.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:41 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Chelmsford , Massachusetts
[QUOTE=Andrew T;1581473]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jetta sedan seemed the best balance of size, cost, carrying capacity and FE, and very suitable for a daily driver, when I read Andrew T's post above, and took another look at the Passat.
Andrew T, these cars all have very similar specs, so is it just a question of comfort?

The Passat is quieter and more spacious. The main handling difference is the Passat has a 6" longer wheelbase and the rear overhang is only 2" longer as well it has a little wider track. Both work but I was surprised how good the Passat was when I drove it. One thing the 16" tires on the Passat could be a little better but with a 20' Airstream it is not critical.

Andrew T
Thanks Andrew T for that info -- that explains some of the mechanics for choosing the Passat over the Jetta. Did you mean 18" tires (not 16")?

According to VW at 2015 VW Passat - German-Engineered Midsize Sedan | Volkswagen the tire size over the
four trim levels in the US is 17" for the lowest and 18" for the rest.
Perhaps it varies in CA. If I remember from my reading you liked the 17" better for the added force applied on the road by a shorter radius at constant torque.

I gather VW does not offer optional changes on these on a given trim; perhaps one can work something out with the dealer though,
Old 02-16-2015, 08:04 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
Best TV for MPG with 20 footer Airstream ?

Deleted

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:43 PM   #36
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Bumped for a question about the 20'.

See post 12
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:48 AM   #37
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Our 2010 Jetta returns to VW September 28th. We will be sad to see it go.

Not sure what the next test will be?

Thinking of doing a 2.0 Turbo Gas and packing a lot of towing miles on it to see how it holds up. We have a three staff members with them and they all tow well but most of their miles are as daily drivers so not a real towing durability test. As well we usually are not towing anything as large as we towed with the Jetta. We pulled a 23 back from Ottawa with the Subaru WRX which performed nicely and handles amazing but it was winter and one trip. Even more amazing it towed the Airstream through a foot of snow coming out of the show into the parking lot.

Andy

Old 09-08-2017, 12:57 PM   #38
formerly Xipper

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Our 2010 Jetta returns to VW September 28th. We will be sad to see it go.

Not sure what the next test will be?

Thinking of doing a 2.0 Turbo Gas and packing a lot of towing miles on it to see how it holds up. We have a three staff members with them and they all tow well but most of their miles are as daily drivers so not a real towing durability test. As well we usually are not towing anything as large as we towed with the Jetta. We pulled a 23 back from Ottawa with the Subaru WRX which performed nicely and handles amazing but it was winter and one trip. Even more amazing it towed the Airstream through a foot of snow coming out of the show into the parking lot.

Andy
As a point of reference, we just completed our first trip in our '11 22FB behind our 2011 Audi Q5 2.0T (only now realized that they are the same year purely by coincidence) and averaged 18mpg going from Portland Oregon to Sisters Oregon. The route there which was with the elevation gain and 30-40 miles of stop-and-go traffic on the freeway we averaged closer to 15mpg, the return was closer to 20mpg but the computer shows 17.9mpg for the round-trip. YMMV.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:19 AM   #39
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Thanks for the report!