Old 03-06-2017, 06:14 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
My previous truck had a Leer tonneau.
The color matched perfectly, but it had a large chip in the fiberglass that was not acceptable. They sent it back. But instead of sending a new one they evidently filled the hole and sprayed that area only. After a number of years, that patch faded leaving me with a blotch and no warranty. To add insult to injury, I paid $100 extra for a carpet liner, and it came with paint overspray where you could see sawhorse outlines. Very poor QC.
However, I liked the way it worked (over ARE) and I'd probably buy another, but if it wasn't perfect, I'd walk away.
The Leer 700 has a raised portion that might be enough headroom for a Honda 3000 gen.

OBTW, it was totally waterproof, a big plus for me. And with the cap down you couldn't open the tailgate which provided good security.

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:25 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Carlsbad , California
I just purchased a tonneau cover for my new Silverado short bed tug. The hard fiberglass covers look great painted to match, but limit what you can haul height wise. The folding ones are simple and don't stack up too much at front, but stick up and block some of the rear window. One design rolls up and makes a coil above the bed line at the front which gives you full bed volume, but looks awkward. The one I chose is made by Retrax and works like a roll top desk. The slats are extruded aluminum and interlock with rubber seals to slow down leaks. The slats coil up into a canister up front that mounts across the bed and below the top of the bed. It is virtually flat when closed. The top can be locked in any position along the rails. It seals to the tailgate with a rubber wiper. The canister has two drain lines that pass through the bed sides to drain water to the ground. Retrax offers the Pro in matte or gloss black finish.
I have no idea how well this cover will hold up, so will see in time. I like the flexibility of function, and the appearance is clean.
Here is a link showing what it looks like:
Russ

Ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:48 AM   #43

Currently Looking...
Moultonborough , New Hampshire
Retrax Pro MX

+2 on the Retrax Pro MX. Looks great, rolls smoothly, solid and by all accounts durable. Tailgate can open or close with cover on. Fairly secure (DiamondBack is better and deserves a look if security is a top priority). Fairly dry weather seal made better with tailgate seal sold separately. Weighs 100 lbs. I like the improved visibility of tonneau vs. impaired viz associated with caps like ARE, and caps are heavier. BTW if you don't care about weight, viz, or tall loads the ARE cap is the way to go. I'm loving the Retrax on my F-150 with 6.5 ft bed (recently acquired both after much research).
HandyManCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:24 PM   #44
jeffndaile

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Clarkston , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyManCan View Post
+2 on the Retrax Pro MX. Looks great, rolls smoothly, solid and by all accounts durable. Tailgate can open or close with cover on. Fairly secure (DiamondBack is better and deserves a look if security is a top priority). Fairly dry weather seal made better with tailgate seal sold separately. Weighs 100 lbs. I like the improved visibility of tonneau vs. impaired viz associated with caps like ARE, and caps are heavier. BTW if you don't care about weight, viz, or tall loads the ARE cap is the way to go. I'm loving the Retrax on my F-150 with 6.5 ft bed (recently acquired both after much research).
I would have to say that if you are not full timing that is to say if you have a homebase of some sort that that tonneau cover would be the thing to have on the flipside of the coin if you are full-time and you do not own a house besides or a nice garage then I would say the A.R.E utility topper is the only way to go you've got room to put stuff and with airstream we all need storage. That's my two bits
Jeffndaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:23 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member

Las Vegas , Nevada
Truck topper

Sorry for bumping this thread. You might want to check out the Undercover Flex Tonneau Covers. I recently ordered there recently ordered their hard folding tonneau cover and I was impressed. It was easy to install and I got them for a discounted price.
Roulette99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:10 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
100K towing with 5 tundras each with an ARE. Contractor side doors. Never leaked a drop
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:33 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
My vote for a Leer.

No leaks, well made and matched to the truck. Has height for my gen set and chairs even with the added height of the Cargo glide slide.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5733.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	469.3 KB
ID:	319555Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5818.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	582.4 KB
ID:	319556
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Here were my bullet points.
1. Security. No canvas tops.
2. Waterproof.
3. Enough room for my Honda 3000 to fit.
4. Lockable.
5. It must not use up room inside the bed.

I got the Leer 700. Quality was superb, it uses the existing rails in the bed, so no holes drilled. Looks great!
The downside is the same with any hard tonneau. It prevents you from carrying a washer dryer, or bicycle, or sofa. Hard to remove.
Difficult to access things in the front. I use a boat hook, and have stuff in plastic tubs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rally 2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	319567  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:53 PM   #49

Wesley Chapel , Florida
We got the Leer 100XR.
Fits very nicely and the paint match is superb.
We used their coupon for the free removable front window.
They have monthly coupons. It was for, either, free headliner (carpeted liner reduces condensation) or free removable window. The window was more expensive, so we chose that.
We added the keyless remote feature, which means the topper locks with your key fob.
It was for our 2018 Ford F-150 STX.
It was $2500 total and took 2 or 3 weeks to receive it to the topper place, Topper King.
Good luck with your choice.

http://www.leer.com/

noddaborg is offline   Reply With Quote