Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2017, 01:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat.Mann View Post
If you like the Tundra but in SUV configuration, we have had good luck with our Sequoias (2007 with our 23, 2008 5.7l when we went to the heavier 27). You will have to search to find one under $20,000, and the 100,000 mile rule probably applies here.
Yes those are great but too expensive in our area. Nissan
makes a nice full size truck too
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:55 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
100k miles is nothing for most pickups. All mine have gone past 200k and still going. I'm picky about alignment and usually rebuild the front end at 200k though. To stay under $20k they need to be 10 years old, and around here I would "import" from a southern state to avoid rust.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:11 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
For the money, you can't go wrong with a used F-150.
Okay.
Quote:
I would stay away from foreign made vehicles, the cost to fix them is prohibitive in many cases.
IF they need fixing. Which is much less likely than with a "American" truck.
Quote:
The Toyota doesn't make a great work truck due to their weak frames and plastic tailgates.
Now you've veered off into fantasyland. I have a Toyota. Plastic tailgate? I guess someone stole mine and replaced it with a steel one. Weak frame?
http://www.lauradrives.com/tundra-vs-competition-frame/
I'll grant you that Tundras from 2000-2003 did suffer frame rust. Toyota extended the warranty and replaced frames. That series Toyota disappeared in 2007.

Just get what you can afford and if your budget is $20K you'll be looking for a truck without a factory warranty. Research (not here, this is opinion) which trucks hold up over time.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:54 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
For the money, you can't go wrong with a used F-150. Get one that has just come off of a 2-3 year lease and do a Carfax to check on the service done during warranty. Many of the return leases will still be under the original warranty. I would stay away from foreign made vehicles, the cost to fix them is prohibitive in many cases. The Toyota doesn't make a great work truck due to their weak frames and plastic tailgates. Any shop in the nation will work on a Ford if need be, but not so much foreign makers. Not starting a war here, just the facts. The F-150 is a very popular TV and there are many reasons, but mostly reliability and toughness.
A good mechanic can fix anything, foreign or domestic. They are all expensive to fix. Lots of high mileage trucks have worn suspension components that owners simply ignore. There's more to a good truck than the engine and trans.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:43 PM   #25
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Uncle had a Chevy that got a new engine when the old one was worn out. Same truck with different parts. He drove it a lot, because he would not fly and towed a high-low with it. So, one option is to find one you like and keep fixing it.

Brother bought a lightly used lightly optioned Chevy and is very happy with it. He went for a 4x4, which in Montana sells for more than his prior economy 2x4 purchases. Therefore it cost him just a bit more than $20K. So, second option is slightly used. No it does not have to be 10 years old. Look for one that comes in on trade at end of month and get it before they clean it up. Have the paintless dent repair guy pull out the dings out after you buy it. He didn't, but you want one under $20K.

Begging for a deal, sometimes gets you the one you want. Niece ended up with a good deal when she came home from the middle East. Use all the leverage you have. Vet, senior, college student, repeat customer ......

The returned lease is worth a look. Someone said that SUVs depreciate a bunch, so that makes them worth considering. A few after-market suspension upgrades are not too expensive if you can install DIY. The other variation on this approach is a lease returned car. Look at the towing fleet that CanAm uses. You might find a solution.

A fellow at work got a killer of a deal. Body totaled truck #1 provided the chassis and drive train for truck #2 with high millage drivetrain but good body. Lots of work, but a real 3/4 diesel work horse out the door.

If you like those vans, look at the van pool vehicles offered for resale. Can be a good deal if well maintained and a wreck if abused. Alternative is transport van that is lightly used. Old employer sold a deal to a local church. Not much use. Driven by same person. Well maintained. Older, but not many miles, good tires ....

The one final possibility is a twist. If you have cash flow, but not enough for a purchase, look at leasing. "Pappy" says Ford has great lease deals. At the end of the lease, you buy it. Lots of monthly payments, but you end up with the vehicle that you have experience with through out it's life. You also may end up with improved features as the new ones get better with each model. End of year sales often have significant discounts to move out the inventory. You do have to take what's in inventory and on sale. There may not be a deal for you, but worth investigating.

Travel safe. Pat

Edit - that nice Overlander would look great behind a rebuilt vintage Chrysler, Cadillac, or Lincoln.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:08 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Lots of high mileage trucks have worn suspension components that owners simply ignore. There's more to a good truck than the engine and trans.
I just spent $1,100 on new ball joints, tie rods and an alignment. I might have been bent over the barrel a bit price wise but the service guy hit me at the right time. I knew those things were lurking, needing to be done, and I'm just about to leave on anther cross country jaunt, so I was primed for a bit of upsale on my lifetime balance and rotation visit. I'd figured I'd eventually do it myself but I've now got a perpetually bum right shoulder, courtesy of old age, and I wasn't real upbeat about the job. After watching the young buck work his arse off for 11 hours getting the job done I didn't feel so bad. And after 167,000 faithful miles the front end deserved that much. Yeah, there's more to a truck than engine and transmission but these heavy duty trucks can go a long way if you keep them up.
brokeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:48 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
$1100 is not bad for that much work.

The secret to suspension life is avoid dirt roads. I know it sounds ridiculous but they are rough on components.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Old 06-03-2017, 10:32 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
I've owned a lot of trucks and the Tundra was the most solid and best value. It was treated harshly by me and the original owner and really stayed tight. Handled well, better than my 2015 F150. 5.7 had plenty of power.

Downside is the advertised payload was around 1500 (and honest) and mpg wasn't that great. So need to load it carefully.

The 07-09 were a little better.

Other than that look for 2011+ F150 ecoboost or 5.0.

If you need a gas 3/4 ton the best one I've had is the 6.2 F250. Reliable, good power and shares the rest of its drivetrain with the powerstroke so pretty stout.
Joe T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:45 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
For the money, you can't go wrong with a used F-150. Get one that has just come off of a 2-3 year lease and do a Carfax to check on the service done during warranty. Many of the return leases will still be under the original warranty. I would stay away from foreign made vehicles, the cost to fix them is prohibitive in many cases. The Toyota doesn't make a great work truck due to their weak frames and plastic tailgates. Any shop in the nation will work on a Ford if need be, but not so much foreign makers. Not starting a war here, just the facts. The F-150 is a very popular TV and there are many reasons, but mostly reliability and toughness.
I never had a tailgate issue and I had an early one, 2008. I own a construction company and beat the bed to complete ****, even separated the floor from the front portion with a heavy pallet.

Don't worry about maintenance issues. Toyota dealer service is cheap and customer oriented. For the record the only Toyota I've ever owned and bought it used and because it was the best deal I could find in a used truck. Hardly depreciated in 30 months of ownership and putting 65k miles on it myself.

The doors closed solid and the suspension held together well. I wrecked it and jumped it a few times as well. I jumped my dodge 1500 and wheels started tilting inward up front lol... the Tundra loved it.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:14 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Basically with labor over 100 an hour everything costs a lot to fix. I used to ( and sometimes still do) fix most ting myself. But crawling underneath is not my favorite thing to do. Age gets in the way no doubt.
Opinions for many owners I have met and spoken with and some automotive pros, is winning for the Ford 2011 and later Eco-boost. I guess I will wait another few years until the price comes into my range. Meanwhile my Expedition is at 155,000 and running very well. Had to shell out 800 for an in tank fuel pump replacement, but even at 800 once a year, it beats monthly payments.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 06-04-2017, 10:39 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
Basically with labor over 100 an hour everything costs a lot to fix. I used to ( and sometimes still do) fix most ting myself. But crawling underneath is not my favorite thing to do. Age gets in the way no doubt.
Opinions for many owners I have met and spoken with and some automotive pros, is winning for the Ford 2011 and later Eco-boost. I guess I will wait another few years until the price comes into my range. Meanwhile my Expedition is at 155,000 and running very well. Had to shell out 800 for an in tank fuel pump replacement, but even at 800 once a year, it beats monthly payments.
I have a 2015 F150 Ecoboost, it is pretty well loaded out ($62K). Love the power, and refinement the 2015 has.

I don't think you really need to wait though. There are plenty of 2008-2013 Tundras and 2011-2014 F150s out there in the 50K mile range that meet your price point. 5.7 Tundra, and 5.0 or Eco F150.

I personally think the Tundra is a better truck, was just a little outdated compared to my 2015 F150. The Tundra still handled better , fit/finish and materials were much nicer compared to the Domestics of that era.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:50 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I love my 2000 Excursion. Not great gas mileage but you can buy a lot of gas for $50-60k. Got about 130k on it now. Paid $7000 5 yrs ago with 94 k on it. Put another $1000 into it and now just general maintenance.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:48 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Another vote for the Tundra. Mine is 07 with TRD and 5.7.
Bought from individual with good dealer maintenance history. Wonderful with my 31 Classic. A pleasure to drive. Now at 109K. Paid under your desired budget. Good luck and shop smart.
Dave
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:36 AM   #34
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Alan. For 20,000 you buy a new Dodge Caravan. It will handle better than the expedition and give you similar performance with much better fuel economy. We have set up around 300 hundred since 2008. Our 2014 runs to Indiana every week or two and tows home trailers twice as hard to tow as an Airstream. It has 90,000 miles on it now without a repair outside of normal maintenance. Buy far the least expensive tow vehicle to own and operate.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:12 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I recall the Dodges having transmission problems just pulling themselves.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:50 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Andrew - I appreciate it. You are always a great source to us here on the Forums.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 06-08-2017, 03:37 AM   #37
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
The 6 speed transmission used since 2008 has been trouble free. The old 4 speed definitely had issues.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote