Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2019, 10:27 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Best braking vehicle

There are zillions of threads on the “best” towing vehicle (TV) to pull our trailers, but I would like to focus a bit more, for those who have not yet made up their minds, on the most appropriate braking vehicle (BV). Obviously we spend more time towing than braking, but in certain circumstances braking becomes a far more important concern when configuring our rigs.

I am putting a link to an article/video of a tragic accident that recently happened in the beautiful Charlevoix region in Quebec (designated a World Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO in 1989) where a motorhome lost its brakes and crashed onto a ferry after flying off the on-ramp that was lifted. The driver died but his companion is still in critical condition in the hospital:

http://www.iheartradio.ca/virginradi...nger-1.9368079

During the week that accident happened we were camping further upriver on a magnificent island in the St-Lawrence (which is 15 miles wide in that spot), called Isle-aux-Coudres (Hazel Island, named in the 16th century by the French explorer Jacques Cartier for the abundance of Hazel trees he found). We have been camping on that quiet island for 15 years. Back then I was pulling a large Coleman popup with a Dodge Grand Caravan (3.8 litre engine).

To get to the Island you need to take a ferry but to get down to the ferry you need to drive a mile down from the main road which rides on the top of Laurentian Mountains by the river. The sign posted at the top of the hill tells the story (see picture, read from bottom to top). You start off with an 11% grade, then to an 18% grade, leveling off at a mere 10% grade, to finally reach river level through a picturesque village to get the ferry dock.

With my current towing/braking vehicle, in tow/haul mode with the engine exhaust brake activated, I didn’t need to touch the brakes in the 11% or 10% segments, but applied the brakes twice to bring the rpm down to under 2500 when it reached 3800-4000 range in the 18% segment. When I compare that to our Dodge Caravan-Coleman days, it was far less stressful and I won’t have to change the brake pads or shoes, as I used to do after a few trips down that hill with the Dodge. And there is far less if no risk of brakes overheating and losing their effectiveness.

There is a famous old picture made by Wally Byam showing an early Airstream being pulled by a cyclist (see below), it proved a point, but that was only half the story.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HillSign.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	344745  
Attached Images

DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Looked at the brakes on an Audi Quattro that a fellow traveler tows his Airstream with. They are huge. I suspect with the brakes and suspension the Audi would be in the running for the best brakes in terms of stopping in a hurry,
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:22 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
I didn't watch the video so I can't comment on it.

It doesn't matter how big your rotors and pads are if your system fails. Very few people I come into contact with know anything about their emergency/parking brake beyond setting them while stopped. It is good practice to try an emergency brake only stop in your tow vehicle/motorhome from about 30mph . This will show you how little braking is available compared to normal. It will also impress upon you how much effort is required to get what little braking you will have.

Now add the weight of your trailer if towing and you'll really get an eye opener.
Motor home type rv's should always have their emergency brakes checked periodically because out of adjustment brakes offer little emergency stopping on a good day. Know how to use them, practice occasionally.
thezoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
All the high performance cars have really big brakes, but they are designed for different purpose, 100+ to zero ideally on a race track or the autobahn. Our trucks all have speed limits in mind.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
I look forward to all the new and thoughtful responses that I have not seen hundreds of times already.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I did watch the video. He must have been moving when he left the earth. Quebec does have some very steep road sections.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:08 PM   #7
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
What really ticked me off, was he was later called a hero for honking his horn to warn others of the impending danger; REALLY? Nobody called into to question his possible lack of maintenance on his vehicle? At the very first sign of trouble, this guy should have ditched it long before getting to the ramp!

How many people bring out their very hardy used RV's/trailers every year without checking hubs, brakes, lights, cooling, etc, etc?

I'm taking a cross country trip to B.C in a couple of weeks in my 310 turbo diesel. I've replace all brake flex lines, (even though they seemed okay), brake fluid, lubricated sliders, coolant flushed many times; greased my water pump, changed shocks and steering damper, greased all fittings and inspected all ball joints and suspension pieces; changed oil and filters in generator and engine. Inspected her top to bottom.

My number one priority was braking. You need to stop; not just for you, but for everyone else around you.

Yes, components break down and fail; but close inspections and reading signs will most likely reveal failures long before they occur.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:00 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bozeman , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
I look forward to all the new and thoughtful responses that I have not seen hundreds of times already.
Here is a new direction then. Downhill mountain bike racing. You dump as much speed as fast as possible on long descents and then you let off the brakes so they can cool. Or you ride the brakes and burn them up till they howl. Maybe the idea of riding a bicycle downhill isn’t something that many on this forum can relate to but the principals are the same. Lots of momentum and repeated need to bleed it off to maintain control.

I see lots of discussion of big brakes, big trucks, big diesels, and steep grades without needing brakes... but what about when you do use them? As the bicycle example illustrates, when you need brakes use them effectively to reduce your speed then get off them so they can cool off again. It is better to slow down more than you need to and oscillate your speed some than to ride the brakes as you want to maximize the amount of time they have to cool.
mtbackpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Best braking tow vehicle: Porsche Cayenne Turbo with PCCB (Porsche Carbon Ceramic Brakes)
mikextr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikextr View Post
Best braking tow vehicle: Porsche Cayenne Turbo with PCCB (Porsche Carbon Ceramic Brakes)
If they are like Formula 1 racing car brakes, then fine, since they maintain their effectiveness when they are (red) hot-- 1200 degrees centigrade.

Passenger vehicle and truck brakes are not made of the same high tech materials (a regular and frequent pad/disc job on a F1 car costs over 15K$). As mtbackpacker (#8) explains, you have to manage brake temperature, which is why if the engine/tranny can take some of that braking load, you are better off, from a security standpoint.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:41 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
https://www.kenworth.com/news/news-r...r-disc-brakes/
Rated for 80,000# load.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:02 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikextr View Post
Yes this. But they are ridiculously expensive and they wear out crazy fast.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:15 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
There are zillions of threads on the “best” towing vehicle (TV) to pull our trailers, but I would like to focus a bit more, for those who have not yet made up their minds, on the most appropriate braking vehicle (BV). Obviously we spend more time towing than braking, but in certain circumstances braking becomes a far more important concern when configuring our rigs.

There is a famous old picture made by Wally Byam showing an early Airstream being pulled by a cyclist (see below), it proved a point, but that was only half the story.
Similarly, there is a video of a Cayenne towing an Airbus A380. Like the early Airstream being pulled by a cyclist, what exactly is the point. Just because you can tow it, doesn't mean you can stop it.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Stopping is not just about braking. You have to add in reaction time. So if you are riding high up in a truck and you are able to brake 1 second earlier because you can see an incident above the roofs of the cars in front of you then you can knock 100 feet off your stopping distance.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:29 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Another good reason to tow with a Kenworth

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:51 AM   #16
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Or with a Volvo.

S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:18 PM   #17
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I would love to add as Telma braking system to my 310. You can get Telma systems for Interstate's as they are Sprinter based and Telma systems are used on ambulance versions.

Telma is the way to go; no pads to wear out, no moving parts, just magnetic linear force.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

PS That Volvo truck most likely had a Telma system installed.

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote