Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2017, 01:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Concord , North Carolina
Best Anti-Sway Tow Hitch

I am sure this subject has been addressed before - and I know Pro-Pride and Hensley are recommended BUT WOW are they expensive. Suggestions please!
Just purchasing the tow vehicle - Ford F150, 4WD and am very happy with the vehicle. But need to acquire the hitch. Does anyone have suggestions on where to purchase? Are these my best and only choices? Does anyone know of a used hitch that might be available for purchase?
I appreciate the input!
Still restoring my Airstream but gearing up!!!!
Catherine
Cmadonna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
If you're not going a long way for awhile, try a simple Eaz-lift or something like that and see how it works.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmadonna99 View Post
I am sure this subject has been addressed before - and I know Pro-Pride and Hensley are recommended BUT WOW are they expensive. Suggestions please!

Just purchasing the tow vehicle - Ford F150, 4WD and am very happy with the vehicle. But need to acquire the hitch. Does anyone have suggestions on where to purchase? Are these my best and only choices? Does anyone know of a used hitch that might be available for purchase?

I appreciate the input!

Catherine

I bought a used Hensley on ebay for $1,200 delivered. I was patient and got what I wanted for a fair price. It was money well spent.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
We traveled full time for a year and a half and also a year before that and used the Blue Ox SwayPro hitch. Never had any issues at all.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
I appreciate the input!
Catherine
Not sure what size your AS is, but we have used 3 different hitches with our first 3- 25' AS's; Reese, Equalizer, and Blue-Ox. The Equalizer stabilizer bar broke shortly after we purchased our second 2008' 25' while backing up in a parking lot, and the only quick replacement avalible that day close by at an RV dealer was a Blue-Ox. We had good luck with it over the next 2 1/3 years, so we purchased a new Blue-Ox when we got a new 2014' 25'. We had good luck towing with it for 3 years until we sold it with the 25', back in May.

This past June, we purchased a new 28', and also elected to get a new Blue Ox; we have towed 8K miles this summer with our new 28' and no towing issues, once we got it dialed in. Key is getting the right size spring bars for your AS weight, and setting it up properly. Getting any hitch dialed in correctly with your TV using the a truck scale is very important.

There are several "expert" opinions on this topic here on the Forum, as you will see. Reputation/safety/performance/ease of set up/ and price, were key factors in my decision to stay with the Blue Ox. I marked my chain with tie wraps once I got right set up, and I can load or unload the AS to my TV in less then 5 minuets using the AS power jack to assist. No sway down the road even in heavy winds or with semi- traffic passing us. I feel safe and didn't break the bank!

There are several YouTube videos including videos from each manufacturer which can help you become more knowledgeable. Good luck!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I have a Blue Ox and I’m not particularly fond of it. When we aren’t driving in traffic it works fine. But every time a van or truck passes me it pushes me to the right. Irritating. I’ve looked at the Reese hitch online. The Hensley seems to have problems when hooking up if it is on an uneven surface which we are on a lot. Any suggestions out there are helpful.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:18 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
2018 26' Flying Cloud
Brighton , Michigan
Research the Husky T/S Centerline hitch. Have one and love it. No sway going 63 MPH in a 20 MPH cross wind being passed at 80 MPH by semi's in SD.
Rivet Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:27 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The VPP hitches are superior. Have made the other types obsolete. Literally.

I used a Reese Dual Cam the first thirty years. It's a better choice by design than the other WD with integrated antisway.

All hitches have a learning curve. It's been well covered with the two VPP.

With the HA I can no more shake the trailer rear loose with violent high speed maneuvers than I can lose my shadow. Any other hitch design, and the trailer can be one lane over from the TV with an inadvertent wrist flick.

Cheap at twice the price for value received.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:46 PM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
I appreciate the input!
Catherine
Hi

As you *might* notice from the other 7.87 billion threads on the topic of hitches, this is a subject that gets people going. We soon will be getting all nasty with each other over placement of commas and the like.

First step: You want an anti-sway / weight distributing hitch. Compared to a "dumb hitch" this is by far the biggest step up.

Next step: You either need to spend time tweaking the hitch *or* you need somebody good to do it for you. In many cases this will narrow your choice of hitches.

Past that, you get into issues like:

How much do you want to hassle with hooking up the hitch?

How much do you have to spend?

Is an extra foot added to the lash up an issue?

Do you tow multiple "things" with the same TV?

None of those are monster issues. They are the sort of thing that people *do* make decisions on.

Lots of fun !!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. The Hensley-designed hitches make the AS follow like an obedient puppy. A couple times I have had to do hard maneuvers to avoid knuckleheads doing dumb things, and was able to pull it off no sweat. (Have I mentioned enough times how much I hate traffic in Phoenix?) Properly set up (and that is not real trivial) the system flat works well together...

And when I say properly, I’m talking tire pressure both TV and AS, level AS and TV, enough WD cranked in to keep the front TV axle ‘planted’ and driving in a reasonable manner. PPP hitches do not compensate for dumb moves on the part of the driver!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:01 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
No lack of opinions on this. Good thing you didn’t also ask about 1/2 versus 3/4 ton TV. We have a Blue Ox on a 23 D/2013 F150 which has worked well. We are moving up to a 27FB so we will see how it works for that combination. Nothing to compare it against but we’re happy.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:08 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Cherryville , North Carolina
I have a blue ox with 1000# bars pulling a 2013 25fb flying cloud tongue lbs run 850# or so ,my TV is a f250 4x4 diesel 1999 vintage I have had for a long time but still in good shape. No problems with sway I normally pull around 65 mph but will hit 75 when passing . I go through the mountains here in NC to north Ga to camp with the kids an no issues . I have been happy with the Blue ox system. I would like to weight the truck and trailer some day but it has been preforming fine so far.
Captnkirk54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I have towed with various hitches over many years, most recently (for the last 9 years) with a Hensley.

I really think it - and presumably the very similar Pro Pride - are in a league of their own.

Granted more expensive, and at times can a bit more of a hassle to hook up, but in my view, well worth it! Towing under all conditions is rock solid.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Best Anti-Sway Tow Hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I have towed with various hitches over many years, most recently (for the last 9 years) with a Hensley.

I really think it - and presumably the very similar Pro Pride - are in a league of their own.

Granted more expensive, and at times can a bit more of a hassle to hook up, but in my view, well worth it! Towing under all conditions is rock solid.

The devise makes my trailer tow as well as a good 5th wheel, and even better than that.

It is actually amazing.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:36 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
2012 25' International
2019 27' Tommy Bahama
slaton , Texas
See items in forum "for sale" for an equalizer
gnowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:36 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
"I have a Blue Ox and I’m not particularly fond of it. When we aren’t driving in traffic it works fine. But every time a van or truck passes me it pushes me to the right."

That has not been my experience in 30K miles over two years.

"I have a blue ox with 1000# bars pulling a 2013 25fb flying cloud tongue lbs run 850# or so ,my TV is a f250 4x4 diesel 1999 vintage I have had for a long time but still in good shape. No problems with sway I normally pull around 65 mph but will hit 75 when passing . I go through the mountains here in NC to north Ga to camp with the kids an no issues . I have been happy with the Blue ox system. I would like to weight the truck and trailer some day but it has been preforming fine so far."

I have as Blue Ox with 1000# lb bars pulling a 27 FB with a Ram/Cummins 2500. I, too, typically travel around 62-65 mph with occasional 70-75 while passing and have had no issues; the truck/hitch/trailer combination seems rock solid to me. I've not done the truck/trailer weighing exercises but set the Blue Ox at 6 links from the free end.

The one problem I've had with the Blue Ox is with the tool that came with it to set the bars. I went to Harbor Freight and paid $10-15 to buy a 24 in, 1/2 in socket bar, which, with the appropriate long socket, now provides me with enough leverage to set the bars on the Blue Ox and not get too frightened in the process (particularly while unhitching).

I've looked at the Hensley/ProPride hitches, which certainly have a strong following on this Forum, but at a cost of close to $3K, that looks to me excessive when a Blue Ox is available for around $500, and so far, it has done everything a WD hitch is supposed to do for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ox-BXW10...lue+ox+swaypro
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:30 PM   #17
NickMcE

Currently Looking...
Lincoln , NE
I just purchased an Andersen load-distribution anti-sway hitch. Used it for the first time this past weekend and loved it. Easy to connect and pulls my 29 footer just fine.
NickMcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I bought a used Hensley on ebay for $1,200 delivered. I was patient and got what I wanted for a fair price. It was money well spent.
Me too. Bought a used one 18 years ago and still using it with no regrets. As others have noted the trailer tracks beautifully even if you have to make a quick lane change. It's overkill for the F350, but we bought it for our previous tow vehicle (Suburban 1500) and saw no reason to change. It also moves the trailer back a bit which allows the tailgate to open fully when hitched. With the Suburban and Overlander I once had to avoid a big chunk of wood on an urban Interstate, and that one experience made me feel that I'd got my money's worth!

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:22 PM   #19
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I have never understood why someone would want to use the least expensive device to mate a $40,000(or higher) travel trailer to a $40,000(or higher ) vehicle. So you have at least $80,000 investment and yet you hesitatant to spend the money on the most important link. Why? When I was doing my research I asked “ what or who was the best” I didn’t asked what was the cheapest or what can I get by with, across the border every one I asked all said the same name. I am sure they all do the same basic thing, I am sure when set up properly none are dangerous but there can only be 1 #1. So to rephrase the question “If money were not a factor....which one is the best according indepent, side-by-side real life field testing. “
I know I will be flogged to death, flaming arrows shot in my direction, ridiculed and properly chastised, but it still a good question.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Lauri,

Add in the need to protect the family and pets riding in the tow vehicle, and the price of an excellent hitch setup becomes trivial. The difficulty is that once an individual has spent all that money on an Airstream (or other trailer for that matter) and a decent tow vehicle, 'spending fatigue' or the empty wallet becomes an overwhelming issue. Then compromises must be made, and it gets dicey.

In my case, one trip down a rather steep grade here in Southern California (the Cajon Pass) was scary enough that I began a search for the 'best solution', without a concern for the money. When I found and studied the PPP systems designed by Hensley, then the choice became one of details of the installation and the overall cost to install it. I went with ProPride, but design-wise the Hensley Manufacturing version could have been acceptable--the design is basically the same.

Others are towing successfully with other systems. and that is their choice. As the old saying goes, "Step up, lay your money down, and live with your decision..." To me, the cost of the Hensley design is priceless, when I figure my family and the type of traveling we do...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote