Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-09-2017, 10:25 AM   #57
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,516
Images: 11
Best Anti-Sway Tow Hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
I do not disagree, at all. The OP even said that in the first post, then asked for suggestions based on expense.



My only point is pointing out "best" on page 4 just seems like bullying/reprimanding a somewhat newer member (post count), at least he was still on topic unlike how many thread end up. Just trying to encourage civility.


Since when is speaking to an issue “bullying” or “reprimanding”?

FWIW, I didn’t look at the posters profile or post count, because I was speaking to the issue, no personal affront intended at all.
__________________

__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:54 AM   #58
Rivet Master
 
Mollysdad's Avatar
 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,231
Best?
If I own a used Equalizer hitch that I paid $150 for on CL, and someone pays $3000 for a high end hitch, and neither of us has any sway, then isn't mine best?
__________________

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:04 AM   #59
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,516
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Best?

If I own a used Equalizer hitch that I paid $150 for on CL, and someone pays $3000 for a high end hitch, and neither of us has any sway, then isn't mine best?


If it pulls as straight, as true, and as pleasingly predictable as a projection hitch at any speed, making the combination a pleasure to drive, then it would be better.

But does it do these things?
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:53 AM   #60
Just an old timer...
 
85MH325's Avatar

 
2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,063
Images: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMcE View Post
I just purchased an Andersen load-distribution anti-sway hitch. Used it for the first time this past weekend and loved it. Easy to connect and pulls my 29 footer just fine.
I LOVE these threads!!! It's good to see that after fifteen years of Airforums.com, they're still going strong!

I used Reese Dual-Cams exclusively for thirty years on various trailers and for all of my Airstreams. Although they're not light, can be loud in use, and they're dirty to handle, they were a combination of not being too heavy or complex, reasonably priced, and gave excellent performance... every one of them.

HOWEVER, in 2012 I bought a 2011 mpg 19' trailer and saw an Andersen display at the RV dealer's. I ended up buying an Andersen for that mpg that I towed with a short wheelbase Toyota FJ Cruiser. I pulled that mpg some fifty thousand miles in three years with the Andersen If I ever return to travel trailers, I will never again buy anything as heavy and dirty as a Reese, or as heavy, complex, and expensive as the Hensley and others like them. The Andersen is light-weight, simple, clean, quiet, and extraordinary good at what it's designed for. It's a brilliantly designed hitch. And they're relatively inexpensive and easy to install and use.

L1006683 by Roger H, on Flickr
__________________
AIR 2053 Current: 2004 Airstream Interstate "B-Van" & 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:54 AM   #61
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
If it pulls as straight, as true, and as pleasingly predictable as a projection hitch at any speed, making the combination a pleasure to drive, then it would be better.

But does it do these things?


The problem is - how does one objectively know? I bought a ProPride day one - have never towed with anything else - you can see previous posts of mine that describe my reason for that decision which I won't re-hash here. But how do I know? I know whatever I think I know about the different approach of the Hensley's and any other type of hitch. But unless I tested my current set up with 10 specific scenarios and then removed the PP and went with an XYZ and replicated the same exact 10 scenarios - I am somewhat taking this on faith am I not?

I'm good with my decisions.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:04 PM   #62
Just an old timer...
 
85MH325's Avatar

 
2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,063
Images: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Best?
If I own a used Equalizer hitch that I paid $150 for on CL, and someone pays $3000 for a high end hitch, and neither of us has any sway, then isn't mine best?
Frankly, IF your towed load is properly balance for your trailer, you have the right proportion of weight on the hitch, and both your trailer suspension and your vehicle suspension are up to snuff, you'll never really need an anti-sway hitch. They're just insurance.

However, people who tow trailers don't understand the dynamics of trailer sway, how it's initiated and why, so they spend big bucks on hitches, not for insurance, but to insure that they don't have to be bothered with the consequences of not properly maintaining their equipment, or having the trailer loaded properly.

Now, that said, I towed a 34' tri-axle, two door Airstream with a Y2K Ford Excursion, and ended up having to do a fair amount of suspension mods to the Ford to make it a decent tow vehicle as Ford's engineering was screwed up from the factory.

THEN, Bigfoot Industries introduced the 17.5' trailer in 2005 and had the axle placed too far forward for the weight in the increased-sized fresh water tank. That unloaded the hitch weight big-time and caused folks ALL kinds of grief with sway problems. The factory solution was to weld an additional 300 lbs of metal plates to the tongue. So there ARE problems that are factory-built into vehicles and trailers. Fortunately, as far as I know, Airstream has never built a trailer that had a sway problem inherent in its design.

So there ARE good reasons to have sway control hitches, but the best way remains having your trailer load balanced, and keep your top speed under that at which sway commences for your combination of trailer and tow vehicle.
__________________
AIR 2053 Current: 2004 Airstream Interstate "B-Van" & 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #63
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,207
Images: 1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
The problem is - how does one objectively know? I bought a ProPride day one - have never towed with anything else - you can see previous posts of mine that describe my reason for that decision which I won't re-hash here. But how do I know? I know whatever I think I know about the different approach of the Hensley's and any other type of hitch. But unless I tested my current set up with 10 specific scenarios and then removed the PP and went with an XYZ and replicated the same exact 10 scenarios - I am somewhat taking this on faith am I not?

I'm good with my decisions.
Hi SSM,

Have you ever noticed with your PPP that when your on an exit or entrance ramp that the AS follows directly behind with very little 'bend at the ball"?,(what a great name for a rock band).

When folks ask me why I use a Hensley I just tell'em...."cuz it helps keep whats on my my ball in line."

Sweet Streams

Bob
__________________
"We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know."
W. H. Auden


"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel it’s supposed to be done"…..
Amanamus


"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:08 PM   #64
Just an old timer...
 
85MH325's Avatar

 
2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,063
Images: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
The problem is - how does one objectively know? ... I am somewhat taking this on faith am I not?

I'm good with my decisions.
There really aren't any "bad" sway-control hitches out there, nor are there "better" hitches... only more expensive hitches. It really depends on what flaws you're trying to overcome in your tow rig combination.

For my last one, it was a short-wheelbase tow vehicle. For my 34' Tri-axle it was sloppy handling that turned out to be rear-axle steering with the Excursion because the spring stack wasn't strong enough to hold the body squarely over the axle while towing.

The best hitch for you is the one that works well for you.

See my post above.
__________________
AIR 2053 Current: 2004 Airstream Interstate "B-Van" & 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:12 PM   #65
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,516
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
Frankly, IF your towed load is properly balance for your trailer, you have the right proportion of weight on the hitch, and both your trailer suspension and your vehicle suspension are up to snuff, you'll never really need an anti-sway hitch. They're just insurance.



However, people who tow trailers don't understand the dynamics of trailer sway, how it's initiated and why, so they spend big bucks on hitches, not for insurance, but to insure that they don't have to be bothered with the consequences of not properly maintaining their equipment, or having the trailer loaded properly.



Now, that said, I towed a 34' tri-axle, two door Airstream with a Y2K Ford Excursion, and ended up having to do a fair amount of suspension mods to the Ford to make it a decent tow vehicle as Ford's engineering was screwed up from the factory.



THEN, Bigfoot Industries introduced the 17.5' trailer in 2005 and had the axle placed too far forward for the weight in the increased-sized fresh water tank. That unloaded the hitch weight big-time and caused folks ALL kinds of grief with sway problems. The factory solution was to weld an additional 300 lbs of metal plates to the tongue. So there ARE problems that are factory-built into vehicles and trailers. Fortunately, as far as I know, Airstream has never built a trailer that had a sway problem inherent in its design.



So there ARE good reasons to have sway control hitches, but the best way remains having your trailer load balanced, and keep your top speed under that at which sway commences for your combination of trailer and tow vehicle.


On the ball both of my 31’ Airstreams were prone to sway at the slightest provocation above about 60 MPH, no matter how the load was adjusted, and even with no load at all.

With my premium hitch, my trailer can’t even be made to sway, even with no tow vehicle mods.

Trailer sway on my trailers is caused by the trailer, not the TV.

A ProPride or Hensley is not a patch, it is a fix.
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:15 PM   #66
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
There really aren't any "bad" sway-control hitches out there, nor are there "better" hitches... only more expensive hitches. It really depends on what flaws you're trying to overcome in your tow rig combination.

For my last one, it was a short-wheelbase tow vehicle. For my 34' Tri-axle it was sloppy handling that turned out to be rear-axle steering with the Excursion because the spring stack wasn't strong enough to hold the body squarely over the axle while towing.

The best hitch for you is the one that works well for you.

See my post above.
Emphasis added. Exactly the real point. If it works for your setup, and works well, then it is the best--for your circumstance!

We can debate endlessly, but in the end, we own and live with our own decisions.

For me, the one-to-one comparison between what the AS came with (Husky Brand, WD bars, no real sway control) and ProPride (Flat-out locked out sway) leads me to conclude the ProPride (Hensley 'improved' design) was the way to go in the areas I travel in...and a 5,000 mile plus test run validated that decision.
__________________
Rich, KE4GNK/AE, Overkill Engineering Dept.
'The Silver HamShack' ('07 International 22FB CCD 75th Anniversary)
Multiple Yaesu Ham Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch, Prodigy P2 controller.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:34 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
Frankly, IF your towed load is properly balance for your trailer, you have the right proportion of weight on the hitch, and both your trailer suspension and your vehicle suspension are up to snuff, you'll never really need an anti-sway hitch. They're just insurance.

However, people who tow trailers don't understand the dynamics of trailer sway, how it's initiated and why, so they spend big bucks on hitches, not for insurance, but to insure that they don't have to be bothered with the consequences of not properly maintaining their equipment, or having the trailer loaded properly.

Now, that said, I towed a 34' tri-axle, two door Airstream with a Y2K Ford Excursion, and ended up having to do a fair amount of suspension mods to the Ford to make it a decent tow vehicle as Ford's engineering was screwed up from the factory.

THEN, Bigfoot Industries introduced the 17.5' trailer in 2005 and had the axle placed too far forward for the weight in the increased-sized fresh water tank. That unloaded the hitch weight big-time and caused folks ALL kinds of grief with sway problems. The factory solution was to weld an additional 300 lbs of metal plates to the tongue. So there ARE problems that are factory-built into vehicles and trailers. Fortunately, as far as I know, Airstream has never built a trailer that had a sway problem inherent in its design.

So there ARE good reasons to have sway control hitches, but the best way remains having your trailer load balanced, and keep your top speed under that at which sway commences for your combination of trailer and tow vehicle.
Thank you! As you noticed most just chose to ignore the root cause.
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:44 PM   #68
Rivet Master
 
Mollysdad's Avatar
 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
The problem is - how does one objectively know?
The easy answer is: You tow with it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk anyone into or out of buying either. Buy two if you like. The $3000 hitches are a marvel of engineering, I think.
But mine does the job as well.
$2850 in my pocket buys plenty of accessories that make my trip smoother also.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:49 PM   #69
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,516
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
The easy answer is: You tow with it.


A person who knows what a stable combination feels like will know the difference between bad, good, and great.
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:07 PM   #70
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,426
I can easily tell the difference between a bad, not-so-good, good, and great towing experience. I just check my pulse rate and color of my knuckles to tell between not-so-good, good, and great.

Bad usually ends in a 'laundry problem' or bent aluminum...
__________________

__________________
Rich, KE4GNK/AE, Overkill Engineering Dept.
'The Silver HamShack' ('07 International 22FB CCD 75th Anniversary)
Multiple Yaesu Ham Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch, Prodigy P2 controller.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Weight Distribution with Anti-sway cazual6 Hitches, Couplers & Balls 52 Today 03:50 PM
Need advice on the best anti-sway hitch. AnchormanQC Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 49 09-17-2018 10:32 PM
Anti-Sway Bar or WD with Anti-Sway for 19' FC? CanonFan Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 32 09-20-2016 05:29 AM
Best Anti-Sway Hitch? kswelsh Hitches, Couplers & Balls 19 08-27-2012 11:27 PM
Best combo WD anti-sway hitch wacnstac Hitches, Couplers & Balls 6 03-03-2006 02:59 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.