2012 25' International
slaton , Texas
See items in forum "for sale" for an equalizer

gnowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:36 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Woodinville , Washington
"I have a Blue Ox and I’m not particularly fond of it. When we aren’t driving in traffic it works fine. But every time a van or truck passes me it pushes me to the right."

That has not been my experience in 30K miles over two years.

"I have a blue ox with 1000# bars pulling a 2013 25fb flying cloud tongue lbs run 850# or so ,my TV is a f250 4x4 diesel 1999 vintage I have had for a long time but still in good shape. No problems with sway I normally pull around 65 mph but will hit 75 when passing . I go through the mountains here in NC to north Ga to camp with the kids an no issues . I have been happy with the Blue ox system. I would like to weight the truck and trailer some day but it has been preforming fine so far."

I have as Blue Ox with 1000# lb bars pulling a 27 FB with a Ram/Cummins 2500. I, too, typically travel around 62-65 mph with occasional 70-75 while passing and have had no issues; the truck/hitch/trailer combination seems rock solid to me. I've not done the truck/trailer weighing exercises but set the Blue Ox at 6 links from the free end.

The one problem I've had with the Blue Ox is with the tool that came with it to set the bars. I went to Harbor Freight and paid $10-15 to buy a 24 in, 1/2 in socket bar, which, with the appropriate long socket, now provides me with enough leverage to set the bars on the Blue Ox and not get too frightened in the process (particularly while unhitching).

I've looked at the Hensley/ProPride hitches, which certainly have a strong following on this Forum, but at a cost of close to $3K, that looks to me excessive when a Blue Ox is available for around $500, and so far, it has done everything a WD hitch is supposed to do for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ox-BXW10...lue+ox+swaypro

"BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
WL7Z --- NAUI --- WSBA
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:30 PM   #17
NickMcE

Currently Looking...
Lincoln , NE
I just purchased an Andersen load-distribution anti-sway hitch. Used it for the first time this past weekend and loved it. Easy to connect and pulls my 29 footer just fine.
NickMcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I bought a used Hensley on ebay for $1,200 delivered. I was patient and got what I wanted for a fair price. It was money well spent.
Me too. Bought a used one 18 years ago and still using it with no regrets. As others have noted the trailer tracks beautifully even if you have to make a quick lane change. It's overkill for the F350, but we bought it for our previous tow vehicle (Suburban 1500) and saw no reason to change. It also moves the trailer back a bit which allows the tailgate to open fully when hitched. With the Suburban and Overlander I once had to avoid a big chunk of wood on an urban Interstate, and that one experience made me feel that I'd got my money's worth!

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:22 PM   #19
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I have never understood why someone would want to use the least expensive device to mate a $40,000(or higher) travel trailer to a $40,000(or higher ) vehicle. So you have at least $80,000 investment and yet you hesitatant to spend the money on the most important link. Why? When I was doing my research I asked “ what or who was the best” I didn’t asked what was the cheapest or what can I get by with, across the border every one I asked all said the same name. I am sure they all do the same basic thing, I am sure when set up properly none are dangerous but there can only be 1 #1. So to rephrase the question “If money were not a factor....which one is the best according indepent, side-by-side real life field testing. “
I know I will be flogged to death, flaming arrows shot in my direction, ridiculed and properly chastised, but it still a good question.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Lauri,

Add in the need to protect the family and pets riding in the tow vehicle, and the price of an excellent hitch setup becomes trivial. The difficulty is that once an individual has spent all that money on an Airstream (or other trailer for that matter) and a decent tow vehicle, 'spending fatigue' or the empty wallet becomes an overwhelming issue. Then compromises must be made, and it gets dicey.

In my case, one trip down a rather steep grade here in Southern California (the Cajon Pass) was scary enough that I began a search for the 'best solution', without a concern for the money. When I found and studied the PPP systems designed by Hensley, then the choice became one of details of the installation and the overall cost to install it. I went with ProPride, but design-wise the Hensley Manufacturing version could have been acceptable--the design is basically the same.

Others are towing successfully with other systems. and that is their choice. As the old saying goes, "Step up, lay your money down, and live with your decision..." To me, the cost of the Hensley design is priceless, when I figure my family and the type of traveling we do...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:58 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Saint Augustine , Florida
Best tow hitch

I'm a relative newbie - i.e. we purchased our Classic in June and have been on 2 trips and 3 other excursions. While shopping for the Classic, I researched hitches. I will NOT demean any hitches being used by anyone, BUT, it appeared to me that the Propride/Hensley hitches got the best feedback. True they are expensive, but I agree with the previous poster. I spent over 85K on my Classic and another 55 on a used 250. I had a lot of people tell me that they got along just fine with any number of different hitches; e.g. equalizers, blue ox, etc. I felt that the feedback on the Propride outweighed what I was hearing from the naysayers.
I know nothing of these hitches. I bought a new Propride ( $ 2,750.00) and I couldn't be happier with the way my Classic traks behind my 250. I typically get on the interstate, put it on cruise at 60 and go where I'm going. In the process of this, semis pass me doing anything for 70+. I feel nothing ! Now maybe there are other hitches with which you feel nothing. I don't know, as this is the only one I've ever used. But I can tell you unequivocally that the Propride doesn't reduce sway...it eliminates it. A week and a half ago, we drove home from Northern GA in the remnants of Hurricane Nate. We felt no sway or movement in the TV or the trailer.
Hope that helps someone.
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:34 PM   #22
VSM

2018 33' Classic
Knoxville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmadonna99 View Post
I am sure this subject has been addressed before - and I know Pro-Pride and Hensley are recommended BUT WOW are they expensive. Suggestions please!

Just purchasing the tow vehicle - Ford F150, 4WD and am very happy with the vehicle. But need to acquire the hitch. Does anyone have suggestions on where to purchase? Are these my best and only choices? Does anyone know of a used hitch that might be available for purchase?

I appreciate the input!

Still restoring my Airstream but gearing up!!!!

Catherine

My hubby loves his Hensley. You can buy a refurbished one directly from Hensley for
Less than a new one.
Vickitn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:42 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
If you're not going a long way for awhile, try a simple Eaz-lift or something like that and see how it works.
I've got an Ezy-Lift for sale in Canada, (Blenheim, Ont.) if anyone is interested.
It worked fine; but I wanted to re-install my expensive Reese Dual Cam.
Which I did, and it works ok.
Now I have this Ezy-Lift doing nothing.
Gimme a $100 for it.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:43 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
I have never understood why someone would want to use the least expensive device to mate a $40,000(or higher) travel trailer to a $40,000(or higher ) vehicle. So you have at least $80,000 investment and yet you hesitatant to spend the money on the most important link. Why? When I was doing my research I asked “ what or who was the best” I didn’t asked what was the cheapest or what can I get by with, across the border every one I asked all said the same name. I am sure they all do the same basic thing, I am sure when set up properly none are dangerous but there can only be 1 #1. So to rephrase the question “If money were not a factor....which one is the best according indepent, side-by-side real life field testing. “
I know I will be flogged to death, flaming arrows shot in my direction, ridiculed and properly chastised, but it still a good question.
YOU BETTER DUCK!
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:47 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
In my view, when someone asks for “the best” hitch, we are talking about either a Pro-Pride or a Hensley. Hat tip to Mr. Hensley for a great solution to a very real problem.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:53 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
In my view, when someone asks for “the best” hitch, we are talking about either a Pro-Pride or a Hensley. Hat tip to Mr. Hensley for a great solution to a very real problem.
Where the violent differences of opinion occur is when you go from "the best" to choosing "one that is adequate for the task at hand and the budget available."

Then the opinions and definitions of "good enough" get out of hand and out of wack, and the discussion gets rather heated....

I'm happy with my solution, setup, and budget, and, as the pilot-in-command, that's the only opinion that matters for my rig...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:08 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Best Anti-Sway Tow Hitch

Well, but still, the title of the thread asks for “the best”. What the best is apart from Hensley and ProPride is not something I am informed about, so I offer what I have.

On the ball might be safe to 55 MPH. I know that...

Which would put every hitch between the on the ball stability as compared to Hensley designed stability. Stability is a very cool thing for a vehicle.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:22 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
What sets the Hensley designed hitches apart are from others include a SMART integrated solution, (i.e. engineered stability), and a very good and rugged execution of a well built machine.