Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2017, 04:58 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Saint Augustine , Florida
Best tow hitch

I'm a relative newbie - i.e. we purchased our Classic in June and have been on 2 trips and 3 other excursions. While shopping for the Classic, I researched hitches. I will NOT demean any hitches being used by anyone, BUT, it appeared to me that the Propride/Hensley hitches got the best feedback. True they are expensive, but I agree with the previous poster. I spent over 85K on my Classic and another 55 on a used 250. I had a lot of people tell me that they got along just fine with any number of different hitches; e.g. equalizers, blue ox, etc. I felt that the feedback on the Propride outweighed what I was hearing from the naysayers.
I know nothing of these hitches. I bought a new Propride ( $ 2,750.00) and I couldn't be happier with the way my Classic traks behind my 250. I typically get on the interstate, put it on cruise at 60 and go where I'm going. In the process of this, semis pass me doing anything for 70+. I feel nothing ! Now maybe there are other hitches with which you feel nothing. I don't know, as this is the only one I've ever used. But I can tell you unequivocally that the Propride doesn't reduce sway...it eliminates it. A week and a half ago, we drove home from Northern GA in the remnants of Hurricane Nate. We felt no sway or movement in the TV or the trailer.
Hope that helps someone.
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:34 PM   #22
VSM

2018 33' Classic
Knoxville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmadonna99 View Post
I am sure this subject has been addressed before - and I know Pro-Pride and Hensley are recommended BUT WOW are they expensive. Suggestions please!

Just purchasing the tow vehicle - Ford F150, 4WD and am very happy with the vehicle. But need to acquire the hitch. Does anyone have suggestions on where to purchase? Are these my best and only choices? Does anyone know of a used hitch that might be available for purchase?

I appreciate the input!

Still restoring my Airstream but gearing up!!!!

Catherine

My hubby loves his Hensley. You can buy a refurbished one directly from Hensley for
Less than a new one.
Vickitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:42 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
If you're not going a long way for awhile, try a simple Eaz-lift or something like that and see how it works.
I've got an Ezy-Lift for sale in Canada, (Blenheim, Ont.) if anyone is interested.
It worked fine; but I wanted to re-install my expensive Reese Dual Cam.
Which I did, and it works ok.
Now I have this Ezy-Lift doing nothing.
Gimme a $100 for it.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:43 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
I have never understood why someone would want to use the least expensive device to mate a $40,000(or higher) travel trailer to a $40,000(or higher ) vehicle. So you have at least $80,000 investment and yet you hesitatant to spend the money on the most important link. Why? When I was doing my research I asked “ what or who was the best” I didn’t asked what was the cheapest or what can I get by with, across the border every one I asked all said the same name. I am sure they all do the same basic thing, I am sure when set up properly none are dangerous but there can only be 1 #1. So to rephrase the question “If money were not a factor....which one is the best according indepent, side-by-side real life field testing. “
I know I will be flogged to death, flaming arrows shot in my direction, ridiculed and properly chastised, but it still a good question.
YOU BETTER DUCK!
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:47 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
In my view, when someone asks for “the best” hitch, we are talking about either a Pro-Pride or a Hensley. Hat tip to Mr. Hensley for a great solution to a very real problem.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:53 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
In my view, when someone asks for “the best” hitch, we are talking about either a Pro-Pride or a Hensley. Hat tip to Mr. Hensley for a great solution to a very real problem.
Where the violent differences of opinion occur is when you go from "the best" to choosing "one that is adequate for the task at hand and the budget available."

Then the opinions and definitions of "good enough" get out of hand and out of wack, and the discussion gets rather heated....

I'm happy with my solution, setup, and budget, and, as the pilot-in-command, that's the only opinion that matters for my rig...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:08 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Best Anti-Sway Tow Hitch

Well, but still, the title of the thread asks for “the best”. What the best is apart from Hensley and ProPride is not something I am informed about, so I offer what I have.

On the ball might be safe to 55 MPH. I know that...

Which would put every hitch between the on the ball stability as compared to Hensley designed stability. Stability is a very cool thing for a vehicle.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:22 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
What sets the Hensley designed hitches apart are from others include a SMART integrated solution, (i.e. engineered stability), and a very good and rugged execution of a well built machine.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:35 PM   #29
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

So have we made it through that yet again? Can we all go back to sleep for another three days when the exact question is asked and all the same emotion froths to the surface?

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:39 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
It shouldn’t really be controversial if “best” is the standard.

Economy can apply to any subject though.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:24 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Cherryville , North Carolina
I think there are a lot of variables in determining which is the best hitch. I have a small horse operation and have been towing gooseneck horse trailers overloaded equipment trailers and our boat. Until I bought the Airstream I had never used any kind of WD/AS hitch . So based on what I read here and seeing some of the YouTube videos of trailers losing control I thought it be prudent to get a hitch. So when the driver showed up after pulling my FC from the west coast using a Blue Ox it went to the top of those list. I asked the drivers opinion and he asked what I was going to use for a TV . He said based on my f250 the Blue ox would be fine. Tony said he had setups for most brands because he didn’t always know what he would have to hitch up to. He liked the Blue ox because it was fairly quick and easy to set up. This guy was using a big Chevy dually and could have run with just a ball . Since he does this for a living I took his recommendation. I think with a smaller TV a more robust hitch maybe needed ,that and how heavy you load everything up. I know when I went to cut hay I was loaded well maybe overloaded and towing was a different animal. So that balance between TV and TT maybe more of a deciding factor then cost.
Captnkirk54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:47 PM   #32
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Wink

Personal view:
Best - is a situational concept. What is "best" for me under my current conditions. This incorporates cost.

Someone noted "what is the best - if price is no object" takes cost out of the discussion but leaves many other factors in place: what are you towing, what are you towing with, where are you towing, yada, yada, yada.

When I was looking my question was "what is the safest, most stable". I built my list and applied a ranking, then made my decision...
Old 10-16-2017, 07:52 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captnkirk54 View Post
I think there are a lot of variables in determining which is the best hitch. I have a small horse operation and have been towing gooseneck horse trailers overloaded equipment trailers and our boat. Until I bought the Airstream I had never used any kind of WD/AS hitch . So based on what I read here and seeing some of the YouTube videos of trailers losing control I thought it be prudent to get a hitch. So when the driver showed up after pulling my FC from the west coast using a Blue Ox it went to the top of those list. I asked the drivers opinion and he asked what I was going to use for a TV . He said based on my f250 the Blue ox would be fine. Tony said he had setups for most brands because he didn’t always know what he would have to hitch up to. He liked the Blue ox because it was fairly quick and easy to set up. This guy was using a big Chevy dually and could have run with just a ball . Since he does this for a living I took his recommendation. I think with a smaller TV a more robust hitch maybe needed ,that and how heavy you load everything up. I know when I went to cut hay I was loaded well maybe overloaded and towing was a different animal. So that balance between TV and TT maybe more of a deciding factor then cost.

My experience with trucks and trailers of all sizes spans over three decades. I have ordered to my specs lots of “smaller” trailers built to be pulled by one tons outfitted with fifth wheels. I chose fifth wheel setups for my fleets because they make for very stable smaller vehicle platforms. These vehicles are mostly 26,000 pound and under rigs with empty weights of about 15,000 lbs.

I have hundreds of thousands of miles experience towing trailers.

The short story is, my hitch on my trailer makes as stable a unit as any 5th wheel I have ever driven. In my view, an excellent product deserves fair recognition and representation.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:06 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Blue Ox Sway Pro

I have about 2200 miles since April towing a 2005 Safari 25 with a F150, Ecoboost, using a Blue Ox Sway Pro w/1000 lb bars. Got it on Amazon for under $550 and set it up myself. Nothing to compare it with, but I've been very happy. Zero sway and good WD. 18 wheelers passing will push me perceptibly to the right, but it's barely noticeable.
Airhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:46 AM   #35
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Airhead59-I am not picking on you but this is exactly my point.What other hitch systems have you used? How does it compare to the other hitches you have used on your truck and your trailer? What data did you use to determine that the system you use is the best possible set up? How good is good enough?
I understand brand loyalty, my mom used the same butter for decades because that is what she knew. It had always worked well for her and all her recipes turned out good enough and we all are still alive. Then she tired the butter I used and darn, she liked it better, her recipes turned out better, everyone noticed and we all eat better etc., The butter I use happens to be more expensive but we all noticed the improvement, So just because you have used something for 40 years and drove millions of miles doesn’t necessarily mean it is the best.
People spends months, even years figuring out which Airstream will be best suited from them and then just throw on any old hitch because it’s less expensive and I just don’t get it.
There are two brands of hitches that are designed to eliminate sway not just reduce it both are about the same price so you have a choice between ProPride or Hensley. If cost of these systems are not in the budget then seems logical that the budget needs to be addressed and modified ( less expensive truck or less expensive trailer).

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:01 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
The only time I EVER feel any vehicle passing me is in a strong cross wind, and then barely at all. #StabilityRules

Old 10-17-2017, 08:36 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
I have never understood why someone would want to use the least expensive device to mate a $40,000(or higher) travel trailer to a $40,000(or higher ) vehicle. So you have at least $80,000 investment and yet you hesitatant to spend the money on the most important link. Why?
With that logic, your tow vehicle must be a Maybach.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:40 AM   #38
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
It shouldn’t really be controversial if “best” is the standard.

Economy can apply to any subject though.
Hi

Except that cost *always* comes into any rational decision. The "best" is always "best in my case". Money in the bank gets into that real quickly .... It's no different than shopping for a home. "We bought the best house" is always followed up by an unstated "(that we could afford)".

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:07 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
I try to stay out of these discussions, but decided to give my experience.

I've used two Blue Ox Swaypros, one with 1000# bars on my Airstream FC25FB and one with 1500# bars on my Son-in-laws 26' enclosed car hauler. After we dialed them in, both are working perfectly with never a concern about safety at interstate highway speeds. This year I've put 13,000 miles on my Airstream and my Son-in-law is over 20,000 miles on the car hauler. We both travel all over the country. I've towed my Airstream through Rocky Mountain National Park at over 12,000 feet, throughout the mountain west and across the windswept plains. I driven across Montana and Texas at the interstate speed limits without a bobble. I've towed in aftermath winds of hurricanes and winds in the plains that you could lean into. I cannot find fault with my Blue Ox.

Its not a money thing. If I felt my family's safety was compromised in any way I'd spend way more than the cost of a Propride to correct the situation. My wife's greatest fear is trailer sway. We nearly lost a heavy 23' boat with surge brakes going down a steep grade over 20 years ago on the ball. Eight tires squealing, boat and truck nearly rolling over, going ditch-to-ditch on a four lane highway with two additional lanes of paved shoulder (now that's trailer sway). To this day, if my wife even sees a trailer wiggle on any vehicle around us she starts hyperventilating and tensing up. When we go down that steep grade towing anything, we both tense up and start hyperventilating (again, that's trailer sway). Knowing that my wife is this fearful of sway, do you think I'd not spend a few thousand dollars if we ever felt any sway in our $160,000 rig?

I bought the simple Blue Ox thinking that if I wasn't satisfied I'd go buy a Propride. Well, I'm still running the Blue Ox. Maybe someday I'll decide to go buy a Propride as others make them sound really great. But my simple little Blue Ox is doing the job, do I really need to add the complexity of Propride?

That was a rhetorical question and I don't need the fear-mongering replies saying that my time has not yet come. My time has come as described above and in several other instances over my long trailer-towing career. The safest trailer I've ever towed is my Airstream with my Blue Ox hitch.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:18 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Not sure what make/name of my 1972 hitch system is, still have it. It worked great pulling my 1972 33' AS. It has load distribution bars and slide rack for sway. Fast forward to 2017 we were in search of a "new" set up to pull our new AS. We ended up w/a Blue Ox Sway Pro Weight Distribution Hitch system. Have not used a Hensley/ProPride system, so I can not comment on. However did go and look and read on line at their systems after reading this thread. All that I can say is Our Blue Ox system works great and I have no complaints w/sway or weight distribution.

Happy and safe travels.
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote