Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-14-2017, 09:41 AM   #127
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profxd View Post
Here is a another study on sway instability.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/4e8...336eef1e34.pdf

It’s good to know the basic science behind trailer instability and you don’t have to be an engineer to understand it. Sway is just one of three different modes of lateral instability but is the most common. Rollover and jackknife are the other two.
Hi

The most interesting part of that paper is the data on "uniform braking". It's a pretty good pile of data on what not to do in the case of sway and why.

Bob
__________________

__________________
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:53 AM   #128
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
That sounds about right for a Hensley stinger, maybe 35 pounds, I think the ProPride is a little more.
ProPride is a fair bit heavier, maybe 40-45 pounds. It can be a bit of a struggle for this older dude. Some have built a box on wheels with slots to carry the stinger at the right height in the garage to easily slip it in the receiver, and make storing it a bit easier.

I usually just put on a pair of gloves, and go for it. It does not come off enroute, and I'm considering a small hoist from Harbor Freight that mounts in the truck bed and can more easily lift the beast.

Rock-solid stability tends to indicate large chunks of metal, I guess...It's a trade-off, like most things. At least the head and WD bars do not have to come on and off every time I hitch and unhitch. That would be painful.
__________________

__________________
KE4GNK/AE
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Ham Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:02 AM   #129
Rivet Master
 
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,152
Blog Entries: 1
"It does not come off enroute"

Could you clarify that statement? Does something stay in the receiver when unhitched or does it all come out? What is the thing that is always hanging out of the trailer with a cone in front of it or on it when a Hensley is unhitched.

My Reese WD bars weigh maybe 5 lbs each and I handle them easily with one hand when hitching. I put a cover over the ball and leave the head in the receiver unless I am going to be somewhere for a long while.
__________________
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:18 AM   #130
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,909
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
"It does not come off enroute"

Could you clarify that statement? Does something stay in the receiver when unhitched or does it all come out? What is the thing that is always hanging out of the trailer with a cone in front of it or on it when a Hensley is unhitched.

My Reese WD bars weigh maybe 5 lbs each and I handle them easily with one hand when hitching. I put a cover over the ball and leave the head in the receiver unless I am going to be somewhere for a long while.


The stinger can stay in when unhitched, or it can be taken out,,, same as a ball hitch.
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:14 PM   #131
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,195
Best Anti-Sway Tow Hitch

Unless you are clumsy like me and nail my shins on the stinger or ball walking around the back of the truck. I carry a few orange cones if I leave the stinger in and put one over the stinger for visibility and padding. Usually don’t bother unhitching until I get to final destination.

Nice part with Hensley designs is that the WD bars do not have to be removed when unhitching.
__________________
KE4GNK/AE
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Ham Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:25 PM   #132
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,909
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Unless you are clumsy like me and nail my shins on the stinger or ball walking around the back of the truck. I carry a few orange cones if I leave the stinger in and put one over the stinger for visibility and padding. Usually don’t bother unhitching until I get to final destination.

Nice part with Hensley designs is that the WD bars do not have to be removed when unhitching.


Me too. Thats why I always pull my stinger out. Because that really hurts... the cone thing is a great idea.
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:12 PM   #133
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,121
Images: 1
Thumbs up Shin Saver.....

...........after the second shin whack on the first trip, I started putting this on as SOON as we un-hitched.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HAHA%20SHINSAVER%20003.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	299111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Towtector.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	385.6 KB
ID:	299112  

__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:42 PM   #134
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,454
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The most interesting part of that paper is the data on "uniform braking". It's a pretty good pile of data on what not to do in the case of sway and why.

Bob
It's there to make the case for integrated roll and/or stability control. But it doesn't say squat (as is usual) about trailer design, hitches, etc.

So long as it's outside the OEM envelope of responsibility, no one else covers it.
__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 9-cpm solo, 15-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:51 PM   #135
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,909
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
It's there to make the case for integrated roll and/or stability control. But it doesn't say squat (as is usual) about trailer design, hitches, etc.



So long as it's outside the OEM envelope of responsibility, no one else covers it.


Its possible to overthink things. For me, if towing is comfortable that is my benchmark.

To be comfortable I need to feel in control of my vehicle and that shouldn’t be a chore.

Again to be comfortable I want to know that my 1/2 ton pickup truck is going to respond in a proficient manner anytime I ask it to. (It will)

Thats about it.
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:28 AM   #136
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
It's there to make the case for integrated roll and/or stability control. But it doesn't say squat (as is usual) about trailer design, hitches, etc.

So long as it's outside the OEM envelope of responsibility, no one else covers it.
On the first page in the summary they tell how importantance of TV/TRL weight ratio. No matter how perfect you load a trailer this weight ratio remains in the equations and is key to keeping critical speed above the normal operating highway speeds.
__________________
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #137
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,454
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profxd View Post
On the first page in the summary they tell how importantance of TV/TRL weight ratio. No matter how perfect you load a trailer this weight ratio remains in the equations and is key to keeping critical speed above the normal operating highway speeds.
But it's not the only effect. It's the easiest one to test.
__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 9-cpm solo, 15-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:29 AM   #138
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
But it's not the only effect. It's the easiest one to test.
Hi

They go through a lot of talk, and present some high level math. They never show how the high level stuff connects to the talk stuff. Essentially there are about 50 pages of math left out (or 50 pages of talk). You have no hard information about what's what.

About the only thing that *did* make it through this process is the simulation and field data on uniform braking. Other than that .... not much left after the scrub.

Bob
__________________
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:17 AM   #139
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,909
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi



They go through a lot of talk, and present some high level math. They never show how the high level stuff connects to the talk stuff. Essentially there are about 50 pages of math left out (or 50 pages of talk). You have no hard information about what's what.



About the only thing that *did* make it through this process is the simulation and field data on uniform braking. Other than that .... not much left after the scrub.



Bob


And still, the bottom line is how a combination drives, handles, and stops....
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:19 PM   #140
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 10
Here’s the equation for calculating damping ratio. At the end there you see “Tow vehicle sensitivity” which is trailer mass divided by tow vehicle mass multiplied by a constant of 3.7. The study is very clear on how damping ratio values are related to speed. There are indeed other factors to consider depending on which mode of instability your referring to, but for dynamic instability (sway) the biggest factors are speed, trailer CG and TV to TRL mass ratio. If you have a TV with serious lateral stability issues then that’s a separate problem to address.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29A7CCF5-BF9F-459F-8196-ED6D7E7EA757.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	299262  
__________________

__________________
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Weight Distribution with Anti-sway cazual6 Hitches, Couplers & Balls 46 02-23-2017 12:26 PM
Need advice on the best anti-sway hitch. AnchormanQC Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 34 01-09-2017 06:56 AM
Anti-Sway Bar or WD with Anti-Sway for 19' FC? CanonFan Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 32 09-20-2016 06:29 AM
Best Anti-Sway Hitch? kswelsh Hitches, Couplers & Balls 19 08-28-2012 12:27 AM
Best combo WD anti-sway hitch wacnstac Hitches, Couplers & Balls 6 03-03-2006 03:59 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.