Old 09-20-2018, 07:55 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you have AGM / sealed batteries (as opposed to flooded batteries) you do not *need* the 4 stage converter. The stock converters going back quite a ways will do what you need to do. That's not to say they are perfect or that they last forever. Simply that the "benefit" of swapping out a converter from three stage to four stage isn't there.

Bob

uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If I'm using the trailer I don't worry about overcharging.
But when it goes to storage, even though I have 30 amp power, I leave the trailer unplugged, turn off my battery disconnect, and run an extension cord to a NoCo Genius 3500 float charger on the batteries.

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:21 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimore View Post
I found out that the batteries we just installed are sealed batteries, they do not require water. Will these work ok?

When your batteries are charged up fully, the trailer will likely change to a float charge and not the high amp output that it would apply if they were say, 60% discharged.

Connected for a few days, or even a week at that float charge will likely NOT hurt them. Them being sealed or not does not really matter. The only difference is you dont have to check the battery water levels like I Do since mine are not maint-free like yours.

www.usairc.org
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:42 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Sealed AGMs, also known as valve regulated lead acid (vrla) batts, aren't exactly sealed.

True, they don't (can't) be watered. It's both their greatest quality and detriment.

AGMs don't like excess heat and voltage. Too much of either, or both, and they will prematurely wear as they dry out. Flooded batts have the advantage in this regard as they can tolerate more extraneous heat and charge, with the only consequence that they need to be watered and topped off.

Because of this, AGMs needed tighter charging profiles to ensure their longevity. You won't find me bothering with AGMs as I don't mind checking the water levels 1-2 times a year to ensure their performance, longevity, and value.

Tongue Mount Honda eu2200i
Rear Bumper Hitch
pteck is online now   Reply With Quote