Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2015, 04:27 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1958 18' "Footer"
North Pole , Alaska
Bare bones towing with Cherokee

We have a 1967 22" Safari. Right now it is gutted. No tanks, no plumbing, all it will have is insulation, interior aluminum and the wiring. We are just got done putting the body back on a while ago and are sealing everything up. My question, is that we have a 1999 Cherokee, 4.0 I6 with factory tow package, with a tow rating of 5,000 pounds. (I plan on getting the trailer brakes going again, and will have a load stabilizing hitch) and am curious as to whether we can tow that trailer down the Alcan. We were planning on putting some of the household good we have, and maybe some tools it in as well (maybe 750-1,000 pounds wroth of extra stuff). I REALLLLLY don't want to rent a uhaul, and definitely don't want top buy a larger vehicle to tow this thing. The other option would be us finding someone willing to tow it going south on Craigslist. What are your thoughts?
badpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:05 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1958 18' "Footer"
North Pole , Alaska
What would you guys estimate this thing weighs without anything in it? Dry weight is listed as 3,450. I am guessing around 2,000 as it is now. May be hitting a recycling place or weigh station.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:25 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Grafton , Ohio
Towing with a cherokee

Hi, wanted to give my 2cents on the subject of towing with a cherokee.We have a 1994 jeep Grand cherokee 4.0 I6 w/177,000 no tow package,I installed a trans cooler and trans fluid temp gauge. The jeep has the d35 rear diff.and the d30 front diff. w/3.55( synthetic gear lube a must). We tow a 1973 argosy 24 weighing fully loaded @ 4200lbs (no water in the system). We travel in the pa mountains,300-600 miles round trip, the 4.0 I6 is sluggish in the mountains but with common sense ( watching the eng. temps and trans temps.) the jeep handles it ok (not my first choice of a tow vehicle). The jeep has a class III hitch wd system,I installed a brake controller (a must) I have the tongue weight at 15%. That being said i am ok with the jeep I just use common sense towing with the jeep. Dwayne
backroads73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1958 18' "Footer"
North Pole , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by backroads73 View Post
Hi, wanted to give my 2cents on the subject of towing with a cherokee.We have a 1994 jeep Grand cherokee 4.0 I6 w/177,000 no tow package,I installed a trans cooler and trans fluid temp gauge. The jeep has the d35 rear diff.and the d30 front diff. w/3.55( synthetic gear lube a must). We tow a 1973 argosy 24 weighing fully loaded @ 4200lbs (no water in the system). We travel in the pa mountains,300-600 miles round trip, the 4.0 I6 is sluggish in the mountains but with common sense ( watching the eng. temps and trans temps.) the jeep handles it ok (not my first choice of a tow vehicle). The jeep has a class III hitch wd system,I installed a brake controller (a must) I have the tongue weight at 15%. That being said i am ok with the jeep I just use common sense towing with the jeep. Dwayne
So the same basic specs as mine. Short of the 4" inch longer wheelbase on the GC. No problem with sway or vehicle length? I believe mine has 3.73 gearset in it too. We may have someone backhaul it strictly because of how far it has to go. I would definitely have to put a tranny temp gauge in it.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:50 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Grafton , Ohio
Towing with a cherokee

Hi, No problems with sway or length, we do have 2 axles under the argosy. When we are on the interstate I run about 60-65 (no faster) no sway from the semi going by, when we hit a big gust of wind there is a small amount of sway but not to bad. Hope this helps, Dwayne
backroads73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I towed with a Grand Cherokee straight six for many years, mostly my '74 Argosy fully intact and loaded. It weighs in at about 4200# as I have it loaded and stocked for a trip. I had a '94, 94 and 97, all with tow packages. Most towing in the west, 1500 to 7000' elevations.

Towed thousands and thousands of miles that way. Sometimes a bit slow up long grades at high elevations, but never the slightest problem. The old inline 6 is an indestructible workhouse and the transmissions I had never gave me any problems either.

You will be fine with it on your trip.

Oh, I have been the Alaskan highway too, in the old days (late 70's, early 80's) towing an Airstream. Of course not with the 90's jeeps but the old Jeeps with 360 V8's were no powerhouse either, and I always got through, even up the South Canol (sp) highway.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:06 PM   #7

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Maple Ridge , British Columbia
Jeep Cherokee towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpaddler View Post
We have a 1967 22" Safari. Right now it is gutted. No tanks, no plumbing, all it will have is insulation, interior aluminum and the wiring. We are just got done putting the body back on a while ago and are sealing everything up. My question, is that we have a 1999 Cherokee, 4.0 I6 with factory tow package, with a tow rating of 5,000 pounds. (I plan on getting the trailer brakes going again, and will have a load stabilizing hitch) and am curious as to whether we can tow that trailer down the Alcan. We were planning on putting some of the household good we have, and maybe some tools it in as well (maybe 750-1,000 pounds wroth of extra stuff). I REALLLLLY don't want to rent a uhaul, and definitely don't want top buy a larger vehicle to tow this thing. The other option would be us finding someone willing to tow it going south on Craigslist. What are your thoughts?
Hi, in response to your 1999 Jeep Cherokee towing question, I think you will be OK provided the jeep is well maintained and you have the automatic transmission. If so, it is most likely the ASN which is very good for towing (Toyota transmission). Jeeps of this model are notorious for overheating...my 1997 did it constantly when towing. Check and confirm you have a transmission cooler on front of the rad. If you have the factory tow hitch, yoi should also have the heavy duty radiator. As long as you are up to date on your maintenance, you should be fine. I also just had the rad flushed, new hoses and "water wetter" added to the coolant.

I tow a 1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 and took it over the BC Coquihalla summit this July. This is known to some as the "highway from hell" due to its long steep inclines. My 2000 Jeep Cherokee towed up no problem...just don't push it hard. The Argosy is 2600 lbs dry.

Hope this helps.....cheers
Lorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:28 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1958 18' "Footer"
North Pole , Alaska
We do have a factory transmission cooler and the AW-4 tranny. I think we are planning on having someone tow the big trailer, and then we will tow our small car with the Jeep, and pull the smaller utility trailer with our FJ40.