Old 03-02-2019, 02:33 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
Haven't read all posts , but there are at least 3 issues here , what the tow vehicle is - how much the trailer CAN affect the the TV , you try to minimize on the TV - you give the trailer more influence on the TV .
Next is swap control - IS NOT weight distribution hitch .
Next is following the numbers on all of the above .
Ideally a TV that has the advantage over the trailer , next is the weight distribution hitch - if chosen & setup correctly - will limit the amount of swap it has on the TV , the sway setup is to - top-off the system .
Nothing will be perfect , and the more mis-use of the above the more issues you can create .

85 Excella , 31' , electric brakes , R. twin [ would like it to be a single ] , future upgrades , composting toilet [ replace black water tank with a 2nd fresh ] , solar power , instant hot water heater .
Tow 94 Dodge Ram , 4x4 , Cummins , AT .
JohnTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:11 PM   #16
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Don't forget the softer the ride the easier it is on the trailer. That means if the spring bars are up too tight there will be considerably more force applied to the TT frame and shell than if the bars are loose. However, if the bars are too loose sway will develop because equal pressure is not being applied to the bars. There is some sway control produced by the upward force of the bars as they are tightened up. If you doubt this, I urge you to try towing with different bar tensions to notice the difference. Be careful and don't over due it. But the range of bar tension can easily be determined. Then if you feel the need for a softer ride for you TT you will know where to set them.
guskmg

guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
I'm not familiar with the Reese Dual Cam, but I have the same truck and a Blue Ox Swaypro. I used to use 1000# bars with a 1/2 ton truck and could restore my truck's front axle weight and had NO sway. When I moved up to the F250, I had to get 1500# bars to restore my F250's front axle weight. I have to crank the bars hard to achieve full front axle weights, so I've had a few popped rivets - nothing major. I just replace the popped rivets and they never popped again. I have over 31,000 miles on my 2017 FC25FB.

I am a believer of big bars and full front axle weight restoration. But I too am having push/pull issues with my new F250 and have spent many days trying different setups to improve the situation. Have you done a three pass CAT scale weighing? You can see mine here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post2202254 and more posts of what I've tried to fix my F250 further down the thread.
Ooof! F250. 1500# bars. Towing a lightweight 25FB?

That sure sounds like a recipe for beating up the 25FB in my mind.

There's other things one can do to restore good stability (or upset stability).

Check that that there's sufficient tongue weight (water in tanks as noted above), and not too much load at the back of the trailer behind the trailer weights.

Make sure the stinger on the hitch is not overly long as this functionally reduces the effective wheelbase length (wheelbase to rear overhang ratio).

Make sure the trailer is sitting level.

Dial in pre-load on the WD bars rather of going up too in WD bar size.
Tongue Mount Honda eu2200i
Rear Bumper Hitch
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
when getting new WD bars and/or a TV

best to take it to a triple weigh scale when you think you have dialed it in correctly

then you will know and what to do to be able to correct it easily

its best to have a balanced TV

ie both front and rear wheel arches change the same amount with the trailer and WD bars dialed in

its best be be safe than be cheap on now doing a scale weigh in
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:57 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , California
Cat

Speaking of scaling, how often do you guys & gals weigh your rig?

Take rig fully loaded, dial in WD, get the readings, and stick with that? Or experiment on load (eg water tank semi full vs empty) and balance?

Or just swing by every now and then if convenient? There's 3 in the port of LA/LB that are on huge lots that look very efficient.

Get the app & rock and roll?
Snerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:13 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
My RAM 2500 diesel has a 62/38 front/rear weight distribution when unloaded. Rear wheel traction is not the greatest. When I attach my 900 lb tongue weight FC 28 to the hitch ball i am still slightly heavier on TV front axle. Using a weight distribution hitch would work against me so i tow on the ball. BTW the 900 lb hitch load drops my ball only 1 1/4" so i am still pretty level.
out of sight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:07 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandreth View Post
Do the ratings on the bars have a bearing on the amount of sway control provided?
Not sure if I've seen the main question addressed, but the answer is yes. The dual cam system controls sway because the bend in the WD bar sits on top of the cam. It takes a good deal of force to move that bend off the cam. To move the bars need to bend another inch or more, so the bars "want" to stay on top of the cam, which holds the trailer in a straight line.

How much force it takes to move the bar off the cam depends on how much weight distribution you apply (how much spring you put in the bars) and how stiff the bars are to start with (what rating are the bars).

If you are using 800lb. bars (rated for 800lbs. max tongue weight) on a trailer with a tongue weight over 800lbs. you are already out of the recommended range. You will have a hard time transferring the weight you need, and the bars will not be rigid enough to control sway as effectively as possible.

This is exactly the situation we had when we bought our trailer that came with a dual cam hitch. The tongue weight was 650lbs. and it came with 600lb. bars. Most noticeable issue was not swaying side to side, but porpoising up and down, even with a great deal of WD dialed in.

smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:28 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Aiken , South Carolina
I tow a Safari 25FB with a Reese Dual Cam system. I had 800lb spring bars but my tongue weight is about 900-925lbs., so I bought the 1000lb spring bars . The trailer rides much better overall and the sway control functions much bette
awkirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Wichita Falls , TX
wd bars

Just bought a 2019 27fbt. When I originally ordered it I had a 2015 F150 4x4 off road gas. I questioned the dealer if I should have 1500# bars and he indicated the 1000# bars were sufficient. Before picking up the AS I got a 2018 RAM 2500 deisel 4x4 off road and told the dealer about the change. Drove it over 100 miles home with numerous semis passing me and a strong side wind in Texas with no problems. Assumed I had the 1000# bars, but checked when I got home and he had put on the 1500# bars.
ga adkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:54 AM   #24
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Too much focus...

...on TW alone?🤔
When we first started my main focus was also on TW.
TW is certainly a factor but I wasn't able to dial in the WD accurately until I determined how much of that TW I actually had to move. Without actual weights I was just guessing. (dealer hitch 'set-up' rarely includes weights)
For 'Cloudsplitter' it turned out to be 720-760lb of moved weight, with a TW of 1200lb>1000lb bars are more than adequate. 👍

Bob
🇺🇸

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel itís supposed to be done"Ö..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:56 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Pleasant Garden , North Carolina
Since I started the thread I thought I would give a follow up. I have not scaled my combo yet but I did make some adjustments. I filled up my fresh water tank as people suggested and moved most of the weight out of my rear storage compartments. Made a 200 mile trip yesterday and experienced sway under different conditions, i.e. being passed and passing, also from cross winds. Nothing that I would call dangerous but enough that my wife noticed it. Now, eyeballing my combo and checking with a level I seem to be perfectly level the way my dealer set it up. If I increase the pressure on my wd hitch by 1 link in the chain, will that help with swaying without adversely affecting weight distribution?
jlandreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:08 PM   #26
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
What you might try...you have it set level?
Move more weight forward until you drop 3/4 to 1 inch. Re-adjust to level & drive.
Plan a trip to the scales to determine how much weight you are trying to move.

Bob
🇺🇸

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel itís supposed to be done"Ö..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:14 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Pleasant Garden , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
What you might try...you have it set level?
Move more weight forward until you drop 3/4 to 1 inch. Re-adjust to level & drive.
Plan a trip to the scales to determine how much weight you are trying to move.

Bob
🇺🇸
Bob, I'm assuming you mean move more weight forward in the trailer. Other than enough clothes for a weekend trip I don't have anything behind the axles.
jlandreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:45 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandreth View Post
If I increase the pressure on my wd hitch by 1 link in the chain, will that help with swaying without adversely affecting weight distribution?
Like Robert said, first thing first, get your weights. You may be transferring much more or less than you think you are. As far as chain links go one link can go from not enough WD to too much. Contact Andy at CanAm and ask him for his hitch setup guide. In it he explains how to use 1/2" bolts to fine tune your chains.

smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote