Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-21-2017, 04:19 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member
 
2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 461
Anyone towing with a new-style Ford Explorer?

I like the size of the Explorer — handy SUV but easier to park than my Suburban.

I'd like to know how the late-model unibody Explorer does as a tow.

Power should not be a problem ... I see you can get it with the 3.5 liter Ecoboost everyone raves about.
__________________

WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:07 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member
 
1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 162
Although not a Bambi, I tow my '67 Caravel (approximately 2600 lbs) with a 2008 BMW X5 4.8i sans any hitch add-ons or towing aids. The X5 hardly knows the trailer is behind it, but the fuel economy says otherwise...loose about 7 mpg at 70 mph cruising speed.
__________________

David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:53 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
Although not a Bambi, I tow my '67 Caravel (approximately 2600 lbs) with a 2008 BMW X5 4.8i sans any hitch add-ons or towing aids. The X5 hardly knows the trailer is behind it, but the fuel economy says otherwise...loose about 7 mpg at 70 mph cruising speed.
You da man, David!!! 70 mph cruisin', maybe 80-85 downhill and passin'! Wow...not many of us have the cajones to do this. All without ESC too...very impressive...or does BMW call that Dynamic Drive...kinda like WARP drive, except for What-Me-Worry BMW drivers?
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:06 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member
 
2019 22' Sport
Malibu , California
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 156
Picking up Sport Thursday and will tow with AWD 2015 Highlander with sway being installed by dealer. Hope it works out fine
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:30 PM   #47
Liquid Cooled
 
RedSHED's Avatar
 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 530
Images: 2
We're pulling a 16' with a Ram 1500. No wd, no sway. took 4 of us to Maine from near Indy a couple years ago. Nearing Louisville as I type this (no, I'm not driving) on our way back from NM & CO, again w/4 (shortest is 5'7, others are all around 5'10).
We didn't do anything more aggressive than Tijeras canyon and La Veta pass, although we did drag it up to Los Alamos... Took some back ways across the Berkshires earlier that also were non events.
Best tank towing was 15.5, worst was 13.2.

It's a stupid good combination. Really close to 10000 miles towing. No complaints.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:49 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfish View Post
Picking up Sport Thursday and will tow with AWD 2015 Highlander with sway being installed by dealer. Hope it works out fine
I hate to see a new member being sucked into buying a useless product by an unscrupulous or...giving benefit of the doubt...uninformed RV dealer. As your dealer knows, or should know, your Toyota Highlander comes from the factory already equipped with a far superior electronic sway control (ESC) system to that which is provided by any mechanical add-on system. Just check your Owners Manual.
If OTOH you might have misunderstood your dealer's purpose, and he really wants to supply you with a modern, state-of-the-art weight distribution system such as Anderson that would actually benefit your lightly sprung Highlander and be complimentary to your ESC, then go for it.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:01 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member
 
2019 22' Sport
Malibu , California
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAtraveler View Post
I hate to see a new member being sucked into buying a useless product by an unscrupulous or...giving benefit of the doubt...uninformed RV dealer. As your dealer knows, or should know, your Toyota Highlander comes from the factory already equipped with a far superior electronic sway control (ESC) system to that which is provided by any mechanical add-on system. Just check your Owners Manual.
If OTOH you might have misunderstood your dealer's purpose, and he really wants to supply you with a modern, state-of-the-art weight distribution system such as Anderson that would actually benefit your lightly sprung Highlander and be complimentary to your ESC, then go for it.
Dealer paid for the sway so if Highlander didn't need it they just did not know it. Hope it does work fine. Thanks
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:46 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member
 
1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAtraveler View Post
You da man, David!!! 70 mph cruisin', maybe 80-85 downhill and passin'! Wow...not many of us have the cajones to do this. All without ESC too...very impressive...or does BMW call that Dynamic Drive...kinda like WARP drive, except for What-Me-Worry BMW drivers?
Struck a nerve did I? Trailer has new axle, tires (GYE), and brakes. Pulling a trailer at 70 mph in a 75 mph speed zone in the slow lane is not a big deal. Never said anything about going faster and don't pass anyone ever (if on a two lane road). And, I did not say that I turn off DSC/ESC or any other electronic aids on the TV. I meant no ADDED towing aids (i.e. weight distribution or sway control). Lighten up a bit, would you.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:33 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member
 
dlkershaw's Avatar
 
2016 22' Sport
Swedesboro , New Jersey
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 76
JGC 6 Cyl

Tow our 22FB Bambi with a 2014 Jeep GC 6cyl / 8 speed trans and paddle shifter....electric trailer brake.. works great !
__________________

dlkershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you run your AC when hauling people? Rosie39j Sprinter and B-van Forum 46 08-01-2017 02:35 PM
Tow, tow tow your Airstream Hhthorny Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 11 04-12-2008 12:06 AM
'People come to it like bees to honey.' Andy R Airstream "In the News" 2 07-19-2004 07:17 AM
Is the 19ft Bambi suitable for 4 people? jcanz Our Community 19 07-16-2003 05:19 PM
OK- what does your A/S weigh & what's your tow vehicle John Our Community 17 03-19-2003 10:38 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.