Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Bluffton , South Carolina
Question Bambi 16 owners..what set up do you use to tow???

You know, I've asked this question before about our Bambi 16, and I have gotten alot of good advice. But, if you read about this subject on here, (which I have...ALOT..) you know that there are SO many different opinions, it can make you crazy! It's not that I don't appreciate the help I've gotten so far, because I do, but it seems like most of the responses have come from owners with bigger trailers.

So...I would SO appreciate hearing from the Bambi 16 owners about what you use, and what works, or has worked the best for you. We will be towing with a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 5.7L, V-8 Hemi, with the tow package. We don't load up the trailer, or the tow vehicle. We travel pretty light since it's just the two of us.

Thanks in advance you guys! I really need help..
Mtnlvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Not sure, but I think you're asking about your tow vehicle ... You shoud be fine with the Jeep Cherokee. We have a friend who tows at newer 16' regular Bambi with a smaller Jeep than you have and does fine ... and Sports are a bit lighter. The tow package is important, and an antiwway hitch would be advisable. We use an Equal-i-zer Hitch with our 19' Bambi towed with an 06 Tacoma V6 Double-cab with a tow package and we do find as well. We like this hitch beacuse it is easy to use and gets good reviews on even much heavier trailers.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:29 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
I have been towing my 2006 16' Bambi now for 4 years with a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel). It is great pairing and I have been all over the mountain west. Like TB & Greg, I suggest a weight distribution hitch, and like TB &Greg I use an Equal-i-zer Hitch. I'm very happy with my set up.

You will have no problems with your Jeep Grand Cherokee. In fact, I think you will be very happy with that setup.

Happy travels.

Stan
Salt Lake City
spenfolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:25 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Not sure, but I think you're asking about your tow vehicle ... You shoud be fine with the Jeep Cherokee. We have a friend who tows at newer 16' regular Bambi with a smaller Jeep than you have and does fine ... and Sports are a bit lighter. The tow package is important, and an antiwway hitch would be advisable. We use an Equal-i-zer Hitch with our 19' Bambi towed with an 06 Tacoma V6 Double-cab with a tow package and we do find as well. We like this hitch beacuse it is easy to use and gets good reviews on even much heavier trailers.
Hey thanks. I'm really more interested in what kind of hitch everybody is using. We were towing with an old '99 Suburban, and just recently purchased the Jeep. Just had a sway bar with it, and it worked great. Some say this is all we need, because the Bambi is so light, but then others say WD is still important...hence the confusion.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:33 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
W[QUOTE=spenfolder;1317176]I have been towing my 2006 16' Bambi now for 4 years with a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel). It is great pairing and I have been all over the mountain west. Like TB & Greg, I suggest a weight distribution hitch, and like TB &Greg I use an Equal-i-zer Hitch. I'm very happy with my set up.

You will have no problems with your Jeep Grand Cherokee. In fact, I think you will be very happy with that setup.

Happy travels.

Stan
Salt Lake City[/QUOTE

Thanks so much! The Equal-i-zer is what I've been looking at. But even after looking at them, I'm confused about size. What size do you use for your Bambi?
Old 06-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
We already owned our 2010 F-150 Platinum before we purchased our 16' Bambi. We switched from the equalizer to a ProPride hitch after about six months of towing and love the ProPride!!!
You have to tow with one to understand the difference.
As to the truck, I like the ability to separate "camping gear" from human spaces. I can't imagine where I would put the blue tank on the inside an SUV. The truck is also über-comfortable on long trips. That has something to do with the model of the truck, the Platinum is pretty high end for a pickup.
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I'd always recommend weight distribution and sway control or elimination, regardless of the TV/Trailer combination. There are no disadvantages to spreading the load across all available axles and topping it off with something to mitigate or eradicate sway. No brand plugging, just better towing, and there are plenty of products out there to choose from. If in doubt, consult a professional.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
OP: Careful consulting some of the so called professionals here. Some will only recommend products that they sell. Those products may not be the best for your situation. Personally I would recommend that you look closely at the Andersen WD system. It has proven to work very well for light weight trailers such as you have. I personally don't think that you need a heavy, stiff system for your small trailer.
There are a couple of unhappy ex-Andersen users here and I am sure they will be making a rebuttal to this post.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
OP: Careful consulting some of the so called professionals here. Some will only recommend products that they sell. Those products may not be the best for your situation. Personally I would recommend that you look closely at the Andersen WD system. It has proven to work very well for light weight trailers such as you have. I personally don't think that you need a heavy, stiff system for your small trailer.
There are a couple of unhappy ex-Andersen users here and I am sure they will be making a rebuttal to this post.
I'll take that challenge.

Michael recommends the Andersen hitch without mentioning it is incompatible with your late model Airstream coupler; Andersen advises it can wear the latch and uncouple your trailer. Minor detail. The solution is to cut off the Airstream coupler and weld on a new one. Then there are the bracket problems, chain wear, friction material dislodging, . . .

There are several other proven and effective weight distribution hitches available.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Doug, happy to see you did not let me down.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Which "so called" professionals do you mean, Chief? If they're listed as being Commercial Members then there's no "so called" about it, they're professional. I've found that the Commercial Members on the Forum are always happy to help with advice and of course, they'll point you to the products they sell; there's nothing wrong with that. I'd value their opinion way above the self-appointed experts who don't list as Commercial Members.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #12

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Mod hat on... The OP asked for advise on a hitch set up. Lets don't start auguring about which one is best. Mod hat off. I pull a 19' Bambi and use the Reese WD and anti sway (came with the trailer) and haven't had any problems. Your tow vehicle is more than capable of pulling your 16'.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
That's what I'm worried about...ending up with something too heavy...I've read stuff on here about trailers getting torn up from using something like that. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
We already owned our 2010 F-150 Platinum before we purchased our 16' Bambi. We switched from the equalizer to a ProPride hitch after about six months of towing and love the ProPride!!!
You have to tow with one to understand the difference.
As to the truck, I like the ability to separate "camping gear" from human spaces. I can't imagine where I would put the blue tank on the inside an SUV. The truck is also über-comfortable on long trips. That has something to do with the model of the truck, the Platinum is pretty high end for a pickup.
Any particular reason you switched? Problems etc? I had gotten the impression on here that the ProPride would be too heavy for us. Which one do you use?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
Mod hat on... The OP asked for advise on a hitch set up. Lets don't start auguring about which one is best. Mod hat off. I pull a 19' Bambi and use the Reese WD and anti sway (came with the trailer) and haven't had any problems. Your tow vehicle is more than capable of pulling your 16'.
Thank you, thank you! I will definitely check this out since we've considered this as well. Really appreciate your input.

Is there a particular size that is best? (someday..I will understand all this..)
Old 06-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Some WD hitches require application of grease to parts of that are commonly handled. Some folks don't like having to deal with that grease, stating that they occasionally get grease on their pant legs, etc when hitching and un-hitching. One solution to that is to carefully wrap the greasy parts in plastic bags or similar as you remove the bars.
Some hitches can make loud popping or groaning noises in use, which is mostly just annoying, and does not effect the function of the hitch.
There are a few hitches in the "mid price" range that are quiet, and of the "clean" design. Blue Ox swaypro is one of them. This hitch is also available with different strength weight bars ( 550, 750, 1000, 1500 pound ) that you choose based on what the tongue weight is of your trailer.
The advocates of the andersen will point out as well that brand is also "clean and quiet".
Again though, not everyone cares about the clean and quiet part of it, but I throw that out there as something to consider.

I use the blue ox, and it works well for weight distribution and antisway with my white box SOB.

Ha.... I'm still looking for my "dream stream" though, so I cannot directly comment how the blue ox would work with your trailer. All I can say is it works well on my camper and one of my horse trailers.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Your Jeep weighs around 5000# empty, and your trailer weighs 3500# maxxed out with water, propane, ready to go. Tongue weight is 350-400#. You don't need WD. There's no weight to distribute. Install a good brake controller, drop the trailer on the ball, and go. That's what I've done for many years, with similar weights. Never an issue, and I've been through some high winds, heavy rains, and passed by plenty of big rigs. Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket....just try it.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
If a 3500 pound trailer is set up with 13-14% tongue weight, that is 455-490 pounds.
Some would argue that on a SUV, that would make it wise to have weight distribution, and sway control. I would be one of those that would argue it would be prudent, but will admit that honest men can disagree.
I tend to be one who really likes the handling of my vehicles to be safe and predictable, especially on rain slick roads. Having the correct loading on the front tires helps in this regard, and WD hitches clearly help in maintaining front axle loads. Your mileage and handling needs may vary.......

EDIT: for what it's worth, if your tongue weight really is less than 350 pounds, then a blue ox swaypro may not be a good choice. On the "old version" like mine, they state that you must have a min of 350 pounds tongue to use that hitch.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #19

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
With a single axel I'd use a WD with anti sway. I'm not an expert by any means but I believe it helps keep the smaller lighter trailers nice and straight. I consult Andy Thompson at Can Am for expert advise.

http://www.canamrv.ca/
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
Your Jeep weighs around 5000# empty, and your trailer weighs 3500# maxxed out with water, propane, ready to go. Tongue weight is 350-400#. You don't need WD. There's no weight to distribute. Install a good brake controller, drop the trailer on the ball, and go. That's what I've done for many years, with similar weights. Never an issue, and I've been through some high winds, heavy rains, and passed by plenty of big rigs. Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket....just try it.
Thank you! Several people and RV places have agreed with you. That's what we were doing with the '99 Suburban and it towed beautifully. It's just that when you start reading all the posts, it can scare you to death! Shouldn't be that way, right?

We did add the Reese sway bar. Although, we did (out of necessity) tow it to NC from VA when we bought it, just on the ball, with no problems. I must admit, the sway bar gives me a little piece of mind though. Some say it's a false sense of security...I don't know. Thanks for breaking it out for me. That's exactly what I've been looking for. Even after reading everything I can get my hands on, I've still never quite understood what I should do. Many, many thanks!