Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2016, 06:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 532 International
New Braunfels , Texas
Backup/ Rearview Cameras

Looking to buy a backup camera for the F-250. Don't want to spend a lot on it, just want something to simplify hooking up the hitch to the trailer. Especially when I have a motorcycle in the bed.

I want a quality unit with a clear in cab monitor that will last but it doesn't need to have a bunch of whistles and bells.

If there's one out there that also has a rear view camera for the back of the trailer that links in to the unit, that would be great too.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Ext Cab Longbed
Harley occasionally in the bed.
StreamGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Have you checked your local Ford dealership? I had the Ford OEM camera in my 150. Nice unit.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:17 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Try the Swift Hitch https://www.swifthitch.com/
Also known as the marriage saver
Good quality, inexpensive, good picture and I also use it for positioning on (and off) the leveling blocks by moving the camera to the step brackets or WH access door (it is a magnetic mount) to view the tires. Company owned by a couple of brothers who are very helpful and answer the phone personally.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:54 PM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
The two tennis ball looking things on telescoping shafts work fine for my hitching up needs.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:59 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Does your F250 have the built in Nav System and screen? If so, might try looking up Lock Pick for a Ford and see some of the options that come up for a backup camera. The Lock Pick does several things that are kind of neat in that it allows video in motion, opens up Nav entry while on move and adding extra feeds such as a camera to the screen. I looked into adding to my Shelby and it is a fairly simple add. Rear camera can basically be added near license plate lamp, or elsewhere depending how involve of an install you want. Overall system around $200 but you gain the other benefits of no extra monitor needed and the video in motion plus.

Chuck
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I bought a 2015 F-250 XLT that doesn't come standard with a BU camera. I negotiated one from Ford as a part of the deal where the screen is built into the rear view mirror. It actually works much better as a hitch camera than a BU camera, since the lens is wide angle and focused more or less on the ball. In fact, it freaked me out when I first got it and was backing up at night. I thought I was about to back over some little ET creature, which turned out to be the ball and the arms of the equalizer hitch. Anyway, once I got the hang of it I can get within 1/2" of where I want to be to drop the hitch receiver on the ball on the first try. One or two more adjustments and I'm good to go. I have a separate rear view camera for the trailer, which works well as a substitute rear view mirror when I'm driving, but I haven't found to be that helpful in backing the trailer into parking spots. I have better luck just using my regular extended side mirrors and a wife outside who screams whenever I'm about to back into something.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:42 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2008 532 International
New Braunfels , Texas
Thanks for the suggestions.

My truck is an '02. It's a Lariat but doesn't have any nav systems or cameras or a screen. The 8 track player does still work, though LMAO!

I'll look in to the Swift Hitch.
Ext Cab Longbed
Harley occasionally in the bed.
StreamGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:32 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Florence , South Carolina
If you want something a little less expensive (about $35 total), check these out:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005CF...236_SY340_QL65

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GSF...236_SY340_QL65

I have these installed in my Yukon and my Chevy Traverse. It makes hitching up a breeze. I've been extremely happy with this combo.
ajcannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
The two tennis ball looking things on telescoping shafts work fine for my hitching up needs.
I have these and they work ok on flat ground. But when the TV is on a different angle then the trailer then all bets are off.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote