Old 10-02-2006, 11:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
I use a length of rope the length of my trailer, I place it on the earth next to where I want the tires to be, just look in the rear view and voila, dastardly, well nite time thats another story. yup trees. moving frogs. all that stuff, situational awareness!
UH, OH, that's a great idea but my wife really needs to feel she is helping. I suppose I could ask her to place the rope where she wants me to park the trailer. Boy, that opens up a can....
Neil.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:10 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
Rope trick

Good one, I'll try the rope trick. But for me, if I start off with the trailer curved towards the driver side (that is, not straight behind, but swung to the driver side), then I can lean out the window and see the trailer wheels so I can line up with where I want to park. I find that I can pretty much control the amount of swing and do corrections easily that way.

The key my father-in-law taught me is make small corrections, instead of the wild sharp left then sharp right correction I used to do when trying to impress my wife at high reverse speed (ouch, I put a dent in the truck when my utility trailer jackknifed as I did that blind...expensive lesson that taught me to slooooooow down).

Cheers!

Old 10-03-2006, 01:10 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I also use walkie talkies. I tell [ask] my wife what I plan to do, set my walkie talkie on the center consul and just listen to her commands. I bought two large orange cones that I use when I park on the street; But when camping we set the cones about ten feet apart where I plan to back in, then I have a visual referrence to see better where I'm going. Just back up between the orange cones. Still need wife to tell me when to STOP!

Bob
Old 10-03-2006, 05:50 AM   #18
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
backing in from the drivers side (left turn) is always easier, especially if it is a tight turn.

when the trailer goes out of sight in your mirrors you can just look over your shoulder.

i also have a cheap set of walkie talkies. lot less yelling!

john
Old 10-03-2006, 05:59 AM   #19
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Found this, when you are approaching any kind of back-in situation, the job will be a lot easier if you set yourself up to back to the driver's side. You will be able to see the rig and the site much better in your driver's side mirrors and can also glance back over your shoulder and see the rear of the rig. If you need to drive a loop around the campground to be able to approach the spot on your left side, then do so!
It's a lot easier to back up in a nearly straight line, adding small corrections. Avoid trying to back into a spot by starting with a sharp 90 degree turn. If possible, pull into the space across the road to get a straighter shot. If there is room, swing wide and pull well up ahead to get a straighter shot.[/SIZE]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BackingUp.gif
Views:	93
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	26555  

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:41 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
Yuki held a seminar for us in the spring and did up a fab instruction sheet. There is a link to it on the NEU Website, just not working right now for whatever reason. I'll ping our webmaster and see if they can correct the problem.
The link is fixed.

http://www.wbcci1.org/ne/BackingUp_Seminar.pdf

Also, this topic has been raised a few times in the past. Check out these threads for more information:

1) http://www.airforums.com/forum...dius-2724.html

2) http://www.airforums.com/forum...ers-23117.html

3) http://www.airforums.com/forum...ler-18831.html

There are more threads too. Just click the "advanced search" button; search for the word "backing" in "titles only".

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:05 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
My wife actually does help me out quite a bit but lately I've been camping with just my young son so I end up having to go it alone (I like him in the truck with me so I know he's not behind me.)

My two key thoughts are: (i) if possible get a spot where you can back by curving towards the driver's side, and (ii) if dealing with a 90 degree or so turn, pull well beyond the camp site but NOT all the way to the far side of the road; you need that space to allow, first the rear, then the front, of your tow vehicle to swing outward as you direct the trailer inward toward the site. In other words, line up well beyond the site and either in the middle of the road or even on the campsite/target side of the road; not the far side or you'll find yourself swinging your front end into a tree on the opposite side of the road.

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:12 AM   #22
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
I feel like I just crammed for a final exam!

Great stuff!

This s/b a sticky

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:24 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
My wife is simply useless in helping me back. Her signals are simply undecipherable. I do it myself.

I have to back into my covered storage space with much less tolerance than backing into a campsite. There is very limited space between buildings and my 8 1/2' wide trailer must swing into a less than 12' wide bay without the overhang clipping the roof support posts or the adjacent trailer which is often poorly parked. I need to turn away fom the driver's side so that the post is invisible to me all the way.

I watch the trailer wheels in my mirrors and judge my position from the dividing line painted on the concrete. I use the flat mirrors when the angle permits or I use my convex mirrors when I am at a tighter angle. If I know where one side of the trailer is, I can judge where the other side is as well.

After the storage bay, campsites are generally quite easy.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:42 AM   #24

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I always try to back in with a left turn; I can see everything better that way. One trick that I have found very useful is taking one of my hook-up rods (those brightly colored magnetic reods used to get right with the hitch) and laying it on the ground at the spot in the site that I want my trailer wheels to be. This is easy to see on the ground as an aid to lining up. It not only puts the Airstream at the correct depth in the site; it allows me to see the correct angle. Until I discovered this trick, I always spent more time getting staight in the site than i did getting in the site.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:49 AM   #25
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
We often have a spotter (one of us) for backing up.
The key is that both the driver and spotter have to have the same goal - so a brief conversation about the exact desired parking space is important.

Be sure the spotter stands where the driver can see them in a mirror.

No radios needed - just clear hand signs. We have four:
  • Point right - direction trailer needs to go
  • Point left - direction trailer needs to go
  • Pull forward and try again
  • Stop
When this doesn't work - cussing seems to help, as well as placing blame for crumby parking job on some unsuspecting inanimate object or sun/rain/wind/bug in the eyes

On edit: We actually have a 5th hand signal - but this is polite company....

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:46 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
Hilarious! The "fifth signal" for us is my wife standing with feet planted firmly and both arms crossed and giving me that "Fine. Do it your [insert mild obscenity here] self; See if I care" look. It has generally the same meaning as your fith signal, I'm sure!

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:09 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
On the road , again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets

Great stuff!

This s/b a sticky
Yes, but if we do that, I think all the great "backing up" posts should be combined into one. Just my $.05.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:12 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
On the road , again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
My wife is simply useless in helping me back. Her signals are simply undecipherable. I do it myself.
Have you tried discussing ahead of time what signals to use?