Old 08-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Saco , Maine
Back up cameras... any new advice?

I have been researching back up cameras on Amazon... I just received my iBall that I ordered from Amazon today... very disappointing.. I put a battery in it, attached it in a couple of places on my liftgate, and nothing but static on the video screen.

So now I'm on the search... it seems every product has SOME bad reviews.. consensus appears that the 'wired' systems are better than the wireless ones, which tend to have interference... sometimes from the bluetooth as well!

Any suggestions? I am driving a Toyota Sequoia, and want to be able to hitch my truck to my trailer by myself, at the very least... but based on what I've been reading, I'd be willing to spend some money $ 300.... or so, for an actual behind trailer camera.. However: I am NOT handy, and really am not capable of installing a wired system myself (nor do I have the time, even if I 'was' handy, LOL)... Could an RV service dealership be able to install a wired system?

Recommendations? Anyone drive a Sequoia with a wireless one, and does it work?
Thanks!
Anne

Old 08-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I'm still pretty happy with this setup. I also got an additional mag mount tailgate camera which works well.

There is a digital alternative, Voyager, but it comes in at double the cost of my system.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...ras-83497.html

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kingston , ON
Rear Trailer video camera

Hi Anne - did you solve your backup camera issue yet? I drive a Sequoia towing a 31' Classic, and bought a Motorola wireless baby monitor (I think it was called a MBP36 for about $200). Made a little mount to face it out the rear window of the trailer, and bought a 12V to 6V converter at The Source (RadioShack) to plug the video camera into the 12V socket in the rear bedroom. Then it wirelessly connects to the 3.5" monitor I keep on the center console in the cab. Works great during the day, but the rear mosquito screen interferes with the video at night (when the camera turns on it's infrared lights - to see the baby at night). You can even direct the camera where you want remotely, and listen to the creaks and bangs in your trailer as you are travelling. If you have a rear dinette, you can probably stick the camera on the table facing rearward.

I just use the backup camera on the Sequoia to help with the hitching process.

Paul
Old 09-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Cool

Ditto - bought my Pyle backup camera, and use it just for hitching. Works awesome, only cost about $80. I bought the wireless version, so it just wires to the rear tail light.
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Saco , Maine
Hi thanks for the follow up: I tried 3 different brands of the wireless cameras: NONE of them worked.... So I finally spent $620 to a mobile audio guy to come install the brand he recommended as a 'wired' rear view mirror monitor with permanently mounted camera at the hitch. It sucks too, quite frankly I worked with him on it, back and forth, but nothing made it better. I came to the conclusion that there were 3 main problems:
1) my trailer hitch is black, making it hard to see, when I tried his 'grey' one, it was much easier to see, for whatever reason. I've since painted it fluorescent pink, which helps some.
2) the rear view monitor is too small (though I have the largest size they make in rear view mirrors, apparently.
3) my trailer is very 'high' in my driveway in order to get ball under hitch, so I have no depth perception, as I can't see the entire expanse of the top of the hitch, if that makes any sense? If my truck hitch and trailer hitch were 'lower' I could see it better, I think, or if the camera were mounted higher. Sigh
Bottom line, it sucks...
Anne
Old 09-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Here's my blog on what I did:
Wired Camera Install | Silver Travel
Old 09-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
In this month's (October 2012) Blue Beret Dave Schumann, Airstream's General Manager Customer Relations Group, mentions he is testing a 2013 25' Flying Cloud with a prototype backup camera. Does anyone know anything about this backup camera system?

In the owners manual of my 2008 Safari it mentions the trailer being wired to supply power for a backup camera. I've not been able to find any information about the system Airstream was apparently considering deploying in 2008.
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida 55
In the owners manual of my 2008 Safari it mentions the trailer being wired to supply power for a backup camera. I've not been able to find any information about the system Airstream was apparently considering deploying in 2008.
I'm surprised there isn't a backup cam on the airstream that connects through the 7 pin connector directly to the TV's screen (if the TV has one). Seems logical...
Old 10-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
I have had my I-Ball for about 3 years and I am totally satisfied with it. I just today installed a ProPride hitch and used the camera for a couple of practice hitch-ups.

The only problem I have ever had was one day when the truck (and camera) were in bright sun and the trailer was in deep shade in the storage slot. I put a little LED light on the coupler and was able to center on that.

Interesting that I-Ball was my call sign when I was a fighter pilot many years ago.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Here's what my camera screen looks like when backing up to hitch - in my case a Hensley Hitch. I can't tell you how easy the camera makes hitching up. One of the things I realized is there are a lot of very small steering corrections needed to get lined up properly, all happening in the last foot or two of distance. With the camera, you can see clearly. Since adding the camera, I'd say that generally I can back up one time and get hitched. The only thing that is hard to see is if the height is "right", but otherwise this is for me a perfect solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0430.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	171576   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0431.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	358.0 KB
ID:	171577  

2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari S/O
Colchester , Vermont
I have the I-Ball camera, and had same problem, with static. I did send them a note, and they told me to try Energizer or Duracell batteries, and also informed me that the I-Ball system uses same frequency as Bluetooth. Disable the Bluetooth. I haven't tried it yet, but it makes sense. Can't hurt to try.
Safe travels,
Jeff
Old 03-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by trvler View Post
Hi Anne - did you solve your backup camera issue yet? I drive a Sequoia towing a 31' Classic, and bought a Motorola wireless baby monitor (I think it was called a MBP36 for about $200). Made a little mount to face it out the rear window of the trailer, and bought a 12V to 6V converter at The Source (RadioShack) to plug the video camera into the 12V socket in the rear bedroom. Then it wirelessly connects to the 3.5" monitor I keep on the center console in the cab. Works great during the day, but the rear mosquito screen interferes with the video at night (when the camera turns on it's infrared lights - to see the baby at night). You can even direct the camera where you want remotely, and listen to the creaks and bangs in your trailer as you are travelling. If you have a rear dinette, you can probably stick the camera on the table facing rearward.

I just use the backup camera on the Sequoia to help with the hitching process.

Paul
Paul,
Any update on how well the Motorola wireless baby monitor is working for you?
Tim
Old 03-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
Here's what my camera screen looks like when backing up to hitch - in my case a Hensley Hitch.
I added one more thing to my hitching inventory; a piece of thick orange rope with a magnet on one end and a weight on the other.
I stick my magnetic I-Ball camera to the vertical part of the stinger (ProPride), pointing down at a 45 angle. I stick the magnet on the hitch, right below the opening, and stretch the rope out in line with the opening in the hitch. When backing, I simply keep the stinger over the rope and it leads me right into the hitch opening in perfect alignment. The black stinger shows up perfectly above the orange rope, even at night.

I find this really works like a charm when hooking up at an angle. Last week, I parked the trailer in one of the little half-circle sites at a state park. I had to hook up at the maximum angle the hitch would allow and I hit the hole perfectly.

Another use for the rope and magnet is in backing into my storage building. The adjacent motorhome sticks out and I can't see the posts until too late. I stick the magnet to the nearest post and stretch the rope out in line with the posts. I then just follow into the space with my wheels parallel to the rope.

Try it, you'll like it.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
I installed my own camera in the tailgate and I love it.
I spent $23 on a camera from Amazon. Then I bought a 1/2 ton tailgate cap for my truck $58. Drilled a hole in the cap, ran a wire to my screen and Voila. I'd never go back now. I use it every time I park, every time I backup, and surely every time I hitch up.

Here's even a video of my first hook-up with it. It's even faster if you're not trying to capture video at the same time.