Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2014, 06:21 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Naples , Florida
Be sure to do a "driver side back-up" if at all possible. If you are backing into a slot (drive way) that is on the drivers side it will go much smoother than just using the passenger side mirrors. I back a 31' trailer w/ a '97 Ford F350 dually long-bed (53' total length with horrible turning radius) into a single car drive from a narrow road. I have to drive past my home to get the rig turned the other way before I can back in. I've done it the other way too but it was NOT pretty! I agree with previous post, best if the neighbors are not watching...
captmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:22 PM   #22
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Absoutely, you can do this. I solo. I have a 60 foot normal width driveway that I back into....and at the end of that driveway is a shed I had built for my trailer. Due to space limitations, I have 11 feet between the posts that I back into...that means my 8 1/2 foot wide trailer has to be navigated with barely a foot on either side OR big time expensive bent aluminum. The secret: go SLOW, get out and look at what you are doing. If you are in a rush, do it later. I had never backed a trailer until I bought my brand new Airstream. All this takes is time and practice. I also use aids such as my mirrors, and when I get close to a rear obstruction I put down wheel chocks to back into.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:17 AM   #23

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I have a 31' Classic and quite easily back it into my driveway. My home is at the end of a cul-de-sac so it is a little more complicated due to having the island in the center restricting my turning radius of my van. The secret to it and to any backing is to make sure you pull forward from the drive itself. This gives you more room to start your turn for backing with smaller angles which keeps you from having to pivot your trailer at extreme angles. We see this all the time in campgrounds where folks with back in sites start the back in when the rear end of their trailer is at the edge of the site. This causes them to have to go in at an extreme angle. If they would pull another 20 feet past their site, they could start the turn at a gentle angle without the need to do the back and forth effort necessary to correct for an extreme angle back in.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:02 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Yes! What jcanavera said exactly!! That's what I do and then usually once it's in the drive it's at a goofy angle so I pull all the way forward where the front of my van is on the opposite side of the street which straightens everything out and then back straight in. It's quick and easy.

Rob
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
brooklyn park , Minnesota
backing up

My neighbors park across the street from the end of my driveway and my area is not that safe, so I drive the trailer in front first. I put pavers in to make a small parking pad about 3 ft from the edge of the drive. I pull in with a circular motion that ends with the trailer being straight and the SUV at an angle in the driveway. I still have room to get the car into the garage. The trailer takes up about 4.5 ft of the width of the drive and no one can to the hitch to steal it. I just back up to it at about the same angle to hitch up and the trailer is already at the right angle to back out again. joe in Minnesnowda
joqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:07 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Thanks, everyone, for your input. You've given me a lot of support, some great suggestions, and a good deal of foolish self-confidence. I'll report back in once I bring the beast home.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:33 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my driveway is narrow and so is my street. We plan to leave on street sweeper day [no cars on the street] and come home on a week day when all of the young people are at work. [only a few cars if any]

At my new house, my driveway is wider but the actual area is narrower. I also have to watch out for an in-ground power box. So I bought a "Powermover" trailer dolly.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:50 PM   #28

casselberry , Florida
The front receiver hitch is your best bet.

It took me an hour to get my 29 foot in the driveway backing in.

With the front hitch I was able to pull it off the driveway, and push it to the back yard in one try.
korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
My street is like yours, about three car widths wide. I pull a 27 foot trailer with the Equalizer hitch. As I approach my house I drive as close to the curb (my house side of the street) as possible. As the trailer passes by the drive I swerve sharply across to the other side of the street. The effect is to pre-position the trailer in an angle across the street with its rear aiming into the driveway. At this point I'm effectively blocking the road with the trailer. Shift into reverse, tighten the angle and the trailer heads right onto the driveway. I can do it in minutes, but admit the first time it took me an hour and half.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:41 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Our street is 2 cars wide, the drive is a single wide at 90 degrees to the street. One of these days I will video the tires of our 34's triple axle as they drag through the turn when we back in.

The 34' is easier to back in than a 22'

A 22' is easier than my 8' 4 wheeler trailer!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:10 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Stop on your street and remove your sway bar. Then continue in drive to your house. When approaching your driveway turn as if you are going to pull straight in but then turn sharply the other way and then again back the other way before you hit the curb across the street from your house. Pull forward straight with the curb until it looks like you just pulled out of your driveway. Then put it into reverse and watch your mirrors and the front of your truck. I use Aero 2 clamp on mirrors and like them. I had a front hitch on my old sequoia and found it difficult to push my popup camper because I couldn't see what the back end of the camper was doing. When the campers are on the rear hitch I can use the side mirrors to look all the way down to the end of the camper.
'65 Buick Electra 225 convt.
willapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:33 PM   #32
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I back 19' Bambi, between the hedges, down driveway then over to side back next to barn. I approach from opposite side of road, scoop in pull forward, no sway bar, flashers on. No radio. I backup using mirrors, and aiming back roadside tire for end parking place. It took me forever, but one big lot, a cooler as a marker, talking to myself going over the steps finally got me there. We live on a narrow country road. Just practice first go very very very slow. You can do it, no problem. i'm 60 and mom of five whose mostly does this by myself, no guidance.....aim for the cooler!
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote