Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2017, 04:13 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
Autosocks, alternative to tire chains

I got a pair of these for the trailer https://www.amazon.com/Lifeline-AS64...ocks+for+tires

I was not sure they will work, but yesterday I saw a tractor trailer on the side of I70 in Colorado when chain law was put in effect, and the driver was finishing installing these socks on all the wheels (truck and trailer) that I could see. I guess that is an endorsement.

They are much lighter than traditional chains. I hope they are as effective. They promote the as even more effective.
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:12 AM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Snow Traction Aid Device

According to an article that I read in Consumer Reports, the textile based traction aids do help - to the same degree as good snow tires. However, the article mentions that they are not approved by every state that has snow chain requirements. Does Colorado require traction aids on trailers? Usually states/provinces only require them on the traction wheels of the tow vehicle.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
CO regulations on traction

Yes, CO traction on snow/ice regulations include the snow socks as a legal alternative to chains.

Snow on snow appears to be good at holding traction/avoid skidding and I imagine these socks are good at trapping and holding snow on their web. I am sure somebody with actual knowledge can explain it better and/or correct me.

Either way, they are some 5% of the weight of chains, easier to carry, install and store. Unless information to the contrary is volunteered here by someone, I am returning the chains I got for the LR4 and F350 and replacing with snow socks.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Would they stop sideway sliding as chains will not IMO?
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Sideways sliding

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
. Don't know, but as for chains, there are diamond patterned chains like the ones I got (https://www.amazon.com/Grizzlar-GDP-...chains+diamond ) that offer longitudinally patterned pieces of chain, not just side to side. I imagine they would help fight forces to slide side to side
Old 01-06-2017, 01:12 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post

Good tire chains do help sideways sliding, or at least when the chain is in contact with the ground.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Won't the socks wear out much faster if you have to drive on bare pavement? Do the manufacturers make any claims as to durability and life expectancy?

We only had to use chains once many years ago, the traditional metal ones on a van only, but they did OK on pavement at a slow speed, albeit very noisy. Not sure the socks would have lasted as long.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:59 AM   #8
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Won't the socks wear out much faster if you have to drive on bare pavement? Do the manufacturers make any claims as to durability and life expectancy?

We only had to use chains once many years ago, the traditional metal ones on a van only, but they did OK on pavement at a slow speed, albeit very noisy. Not sure the socks would have lasted as long.
Look at the link in the OP's post. The ad says "temporary winter aid for passenger vehicles."

I don't think they mean temporary as in only when you use them. I think they mean temporary as they don't last long.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
These are only for on snow or ice. Like chains, you put them on only when needed and take them off as soon as you don't need them any longer.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan and Liz View Post
These are only for on snow or ice. Like chains, you put them on only when needed and take them off as soon as you don't need them any longer.
Unfortunately, Most of the roads you are going to need to put chains on don't have convenient pull offs to stop and put them on and take them off. Think of you are doing all of 35 or maybe 40 even on nasty frozen road, in blinding snow, dark of night, you possibly see some car lights dead in the road in front of you; you manage to get out of that lane to avoid that car and when you go by you see someone IN BLACK fooling with chains laying on the road, in Your Lane. Joy joy joy! Snow is good to see the contrast in the dark. Maybe. Saw that more than twice Sunday night just getting home. Was impressed at how much bare looking road with a bit of snow blowing on it was actually driven down frozen slush and not much traction.

Side note, driving on winter roads for 45 years or so, it's a good idea to frequently be checking the road traction by carefully hitting the brakes on a straight stretch, feeling the pull down by the brakes or lack there of. And no I ain't "brake checking" you, I'm checking the road...

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I been running big trucks for 50 years and installed lots of chains on the passes, at night and in the dark, most of the time at a pullout or chain up area, I have never hit my brakes to see if the road is slick, that would be a good way to cause an accident, you should already know the road is slick, the few times I have been caught in a storm with our as ,I was sure glad we had four wheel drive .
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
I been running big trucks for 50 years and installed lots of chains on the passes, at night and in the dark, most of the time at a pullout or chain up area, I have never hit my brakes to see if the road is slick, that would be a good way to cause an accident, you should already know the road is slick, the few times I have been caught in a storm with our as ,I was sure glad we had four wheel drive .
Just wondering, how do you know that this dry looking road you come upon after coming off the mountain is slick? There's no indication or conditions that indicate there should be clear ice... except with experience you are suspicious.
I'd hope there's drivers out there that can control their vehicle on a straightaway checking the traction their tires have at the moment. How could they avoid Gertrude with her fawns when she jumps over the guardrail in front of you if you don't know how to even just check the road traction while under control

Sorry, this thread was about socks.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:17 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
[QUOTE=NevadaGeo;1896424]Just wondering, how do you know that this dry looking road you come upon after coming off the mountain is slick? There's no indication or conditions that indicate there should be clear ice... except with experience you are suspicious.
I'd hope there's drivers out there that can control their vehicle on a straightaway checking the traction their tires have at the moment. How could they avoid Gertrude with her fawns when she jumps over the guardrail in front of you if you don't know how to even just check the road traction while under control

Sorry, this thread was about socks.[/QUOTE. Don't worry, I have almost 3.75 million miles. In today's paper a vehicle swerved to miss some elk on an icy road
here, their vehicle ended up in oncoming traffic, three went to the hospital, near Moore,Mt a pickup swerved to keep from hitting a deer, pickup ended up in the borrow ditch, the Maas wife died instantly, he died three days later in the hospital, you don't swerve, take the hit, the vehicle can be replaced. I also don't use very much brakes when it is icy.
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote