Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
I'm revisiting this old thread, because I used 4x4 this past weekend!

We were up in Fraser CO at Snow Mtn Ranch. The campground was NOT the kind where you'd think as you pulled in "whoa......I sure am glad I have 4wd". And yet I needed it. The rains Sat night made the soil super slippery (right mixture of clay and sand). To back slightly uphill to re-hitch, I had to use 4HI. Without it, I would have been spraying goo, and shimmying back and forth side to side, missing my hitch ball.

So, you may think you don't need it. Until you're surprised you do.
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
2005 Tundra?

glad i found this thread, as a newbie need some vehicle advice too, just purchased a '72 Sov 31 feet, weighs about 5,000lbs. i found a 2005 4.7L i-Force V8 282hp, 4 Wheel Drive-touch Select, Tow Package.
any thoughts on whether has enough guts?
i'll tow once or twice a year max ... would like 4wd as on a steep property for parking and also have a small pop-up for more off the grid camping trips & drives to the snow in the winter.

thanks
nick
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
from wiki:

the existing 4.7-liter V8 was updated with Toyota's VVT-i variable valve timing technology and was rated at 282 horsepower (210 kW) and 325 lb·ft (441 N·m) of torque while the 2006 versions were rerated at 271 horsepower (202 kW) and 313 lb·ft (424 N·m) of torque . The 5-speed manual gave way to a 6-speed manual, and a 5-speed automatic replaced the 4-speed. With a towing capacity of just 6,900 lb (on the Double Cabs)

so is 6,900 enough with 4 passengers & gear i wonder ?
Old 09-02-2014, 03:49 PM   #24
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Nick, that's a bit under powered for what you are towing.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
Toyota Tundra 5.7 l pulling 30 foot Classic

I tow my 2004 Classic 30 footer with a 4WD 2007 Tundra 5.7 l. I have 63,000 miles on it most of those miles were used in towing throughout the country- from the low country to the high country. wolf146
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:41 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
good to know, it seems on the edge of not having enough power ...
Old 09-02-2014, 10:48 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Nick, that's a bit under powered for what you are towing.
i tend to agree but will only use once a year or so ...
Old 09-03-2014, 12:12 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
Thanks everyone who contributed and giving me some confidence in the Tundra. I can see that everyone has their favorite make of trucks, especially when they've performed well for them through the years. I'm a bit partial to Toyota trucks and so after reading several favorable confirmations of the Tundra as a tow vehicle, I pulled the trigger on a 2012 Tundra, V8, 4wd with less than 16k miles. I plan on taking good care of it and hopefully it will provide us with many years of safe towing and getting around town upon arrival while we look for jobs. Thanks again everyone for the sharing of experience - I appreciate it!

Now I have one and a half months to get it rigged up and to learn how to tow my 28-foot International. Then it's good-bye rat race (hopefully) and hitting the road full time!

- Jeff
westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:52 AM   #29
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastas View Post
Thanks everyone who contributed and giving me some confidence in the Tundra. I can see that everyone has their favorite make of trucks, especially when they've performed well for them through the years. I'm a bit partial to Toyota trucks and so after reading several favorable confirmations of the Tundra as a tow vehicle, I pulled the trigger on a 2012 Tundra, V8, 4wd with less than 16k miles. I plan on taking good care of it and hopefully it will provide us with many years of safe towing and getting around town upon arrival while we look for jobs. Thanks again everyone for the sharing of experience - I appreciate it!

Now I have one and a half months to get it rigged up and to learn how to tow my 28-foot International. Then it's good-bye rat race (hopefully) and hitting the road full time!

- Jeff
This thread is worthless without pictures Jeff.

Congratulations.

I personally like the look of the new Tundras. It's the interior I feel falls short. But it's an overall good truck. You'll be happy.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:31 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickclifford View Post
from wiki:

the existing 4.7-liter V8 was updated with Toyota's VVT-i variable valve timing technology and was rated at 282 horsepower (210 kW) and 325 lb·ft (441 N·m) of torque while the 2006 versions were rerated at 271 horsepower (202 kW) and 313 lb·ft (424 N·m) of torque . The 5-speed manual gave way to a 6-speed manual, and a 5-speed automatic replaced the 4-speed. With a towing capacity of just 6,900 lb (on the Double Cabs)

so is 6,900 enough with 4 passengers & gear i wonder ?
Nick, we used our 2006 Tundra crew cab 4.7 to tow our 25' Airstream at about 6400# loaded. It was very adequate, especially for your limited use. Put it in fourth gear whenever towing, overdrive off and leave it there except when climbing and descending steeper grades. Shift down, reduce your speed, let the engine rev into its power range when climbing. Use lower gears, trailer and truck brakes for reduced speeds when coming down.

Get a high quality weight distribution hitch and set it up properly. A change from P-rated to XL (Extra Load) tires on the truck will reduce side-to-side movement felt in the steering because of the stiffer sidewalls, very good improvement. I think your longer Airstream will feel a bit more stable than ours because the axles are farther back from the truck.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #31

Bulverde , Texas
2013 tundra as TV

We purchased a new 2013 tundra 4x2 crewmax 5.7L V8 last year for our future AS. We wanted to go with the 2015 Classic. Now, as we study the numbers, I feel we are under powered. Can someone confirm the numbers for me? I have a Ranch Hand cattle guard and a Leer camper cover on the truck to be factored in for weight also. I'm love my tundra and it is my daily drive. My TWR is 9,300 lbs and the GCWR is 15,400 lbs according to my owners manual. The 30 ft 2015 Classic is 6,047 lbs. (truck GVWR is 7,000 lbs) I'm now confused with my own math! If anyone out there can help I'd really appreciate it. The dog will no longer listen to me and is refusing to help!
Dchristrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:22 AM   #32
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchristrn View Post
We purchased a new 2013 tundra 4x2 crewmax 5.7L V8 last year for our future AS. We wanted to go with the 2015 Classic. Now, as we study the numbers, I feel we are under powered. Can someone confirm the numbers for me? I have a Ranch Hand cattle guard and a Leer camper cover on the truck to be factored in for weight also. I'm love my tundra and it is my daily drive. My TWR is 9,300 lbs and the GCWR is 15,400 lbs according to my owners manual. The 30 ft 2015 Classic is 6,047 lbs. (truck GVWR is 7,000 lbs) I'm now confused with my own math! If anyone out there can help I'd really appreciate it. The dog will no longer listen to me and is refusing to help!
Nothing to be confused about you are not under powered.

The combined maximum safe weight of both your truck & camper or (GCWR = gross combined weight rating) is listed as 15,400lbs.

Your truck has a GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING of 7000lbs, this is the maximum the truck can weight

The Classic has the same GVWR but is 6047lbs

Therefore : 7000lbs + 6047lbs = 13047lbs

You're at about 85% of your GCWR.

And your truck's towing capacity is 9300lbs

You are at about 70% of your trucks towing capacity.

Now, those are the gross maximum weights. How you load your Airstream and truck is up to you.

But unless you load everything to the max you won't hit those numbers.

So you're fine.

Just watch out for payload police.

You can also go weight your truck at a CAT scale to get an idea about it's current weight and how your trailer and load will effect it's payload and GVWR in relation to axle ratings. Getting weighted is always a good idea.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #33

Bulverde , Texas
Thank you for your help.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:35 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
According to the video at the start of this thread, the 2014 Tundra with the tow package, has a 4:30 rear end ratio which should be a lot better than the previous 4:10 when towing.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:58 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
Our new tow vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
This thread is worthless without pictures Jeff.

Congratulations.

I personally like the look of the new Tundras. It's the interior I feel falls short. But it's an overall good truck. You'll be happy.

Sorry for the delay but it's my last week of work... my last week in the rat race of Southern California.

I agree on your points of the Tundra - I like the look also but the interior has cheap materials. Still, I've never had a fancy truck before, so as long as the stereo and air conditioning work, I'm okay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	221430   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	221431  

westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:13 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchristrn View Post
Payload does matter. And where you put your "stuff" matters.

Can you pull up the weights of the cattle guard and the cover?

Payload on the TV = GVWR - curb weight.

On my 2014 Tundra GVWR is 7200---the curb weight, which is the vehicle with a full tank of gas and all fluids topped off, is 5850. Subtract the difference, and the payload, or additional weight the truck frame, suspension, etc. is engineered to bear, is 1410.

Now it gets interesting. Add in (or subtract out actually) 2 adults, I am at 1000 pounds, now subtract the Tongue Weight of the trailer you will tow, for me, am anticipating a Bambi at 350 pounds, leaves me with 650 pounds. This tells me that after getting myself and himself in the truck, and hitching it up, we can only add in 650 pounds or less of stuff or other people IN THE TRUCK and not be over the payload capacity of the truck.

For your example, you will need to subtract out the weight of the cattle gate and the topper when figuring this. And then subtract out the hitch weight of the trailer.

Weight distribution can somewhat change this, but this is the general idea as I understand it.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I cannot wait until Toyota makes a 3/4 ton pickup. Maybe it is designing a diesel engine before they can proceed. Will be interesting...

Pulled a 2006 23' Safari with a 2006 Tundra double cab 4.7L 4x4 anywhere without difficulty. On mountain gravel... you had better have a 4x4 if you loose traction. That one tire will dig a hole to make a back hole operator proud! I use 4x4 frequently and it can be switched in and out at will when towing off the asphalt.

Bought a 2008 5.7L Tundra 4x4 to tow the 23 footer. Better gas mileage than the 4.7L 2006 AND shorter turning radius. Figure that... The first year 5.7L (2007) had cam shafts that were not tempered properly and were breaking... so I waited an extra year so that Toyota fixed the engineering problem(s). Never regretted getting the 5.7L.

Bought a 2012 Tundra Crew Max 4x4 5.7L, sold the 2006 23 foot Safari and bought a 2014 25 foot International several days after the new owner, towing with a Tundra 5.7L 4x4 disappeared down the interstate like I was standing still. Not what you think... the check WAS good.

I can "feel" a bit more of the 25 foot trailer when getting up to highway speed. Although if I wanted to go 80 mph I would not be too concerned about the tow vehicle, sway or losing control... it would be the trailer tires that are my number one concern. The new Airstream brakes very well and tracks perfect in those 30mph Wyoming cross winds on I-80! I am being cautious with the Goodyear D Rated 15 inch tires after having too many tire failures on the original 14 inch tires, C rated, on the 23 foot Airstream. Small stones would puncture through new tread when on paved or gravel roads.

I was leaving the Buffalo Bill State Park west of Cody, Wyoming several days ago and reset my trip odometer and gas mileage meter on the Tundra. A whopping 60 miles per gallon... downhill to Cody. Of course going up it was 9.8 miles per gallon. The Tundra tops out at 60mpg it seems, as it would not go any higher. I think this is a record to report on the Forum. Try that in Texas... or Kansas... I was getting 8.5 to 12 mpg in higher elevation and rolling terrane AND going up and over passes with the 25 footer in tow. No complaint. Get some Wyoming wind behind me... 16mpg to 20mpg!

There is a lot of plastic on the front end of a Tundra. My next choice would be a Ford 3/4 ton, but I do not want the diesel. No matter how quiet and how little diesel exhaust you smell. The Tundra has a plain steel wheel and car tire for a spare... so, I bought a Toyota Tundra aluminum spare wheel as my fifth tire, and spare. I swap spares when I trade in my older model. Check it out. You may want to do the same.

The engine nor transmission has NEVER overheated with the tow package (maybe not much different without the tow package and transmission cooler). When the new, 2014, radiator developed a leak, the Toyota dealer said "poor quality" for his reason on the warranty sheet. The radiator is also plastic.

I had been a Chevrolet guy when I was "working" on them at home. I became tired of working on them, so bought a Toyota. They are dependable and when you want to sell them yourself there is a long line of interested buyers. The Toyota dealers are also interested and make the trade in worth looking into. Today... with the Tundra I would have no idea if I have a tool to replace a spark plug after 100,000 miles. Never had a transmission problem, engine problem with my Tundras. I replace them when I get into the mid to high 40,000 miles. By then I have eaten the depreciation and towed my Airstream long enough. I figure an Airstream Tow mile at double the wear and as long as there is warranty... the dealer finds the truck as an easy sale on the lot.

If Toyota begins to cut corners for "weight"... a Ford could be on my short list. Until then... pay the extra for the 4x4, you will get that back upon selling. Get the 5.7L engine. Get the Double Cab to save on weight and keep the 6 foot bed. The Crew Max is great for roominess... but I sure miss that 6 foot bed!
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:34 AM   #38

Bulverde , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Payload does matter. And where you put your "stuff" matters.

Can you pull up the weights of the cattle guard and the cover?

Payload on the TV = GVWR - curb weight.

On my 2014 Tundra GVWR is 7200---the curb weight, which is the vehicle with a full tank of gas and all fluids topped off, is 5850. Subtract the difference, and the payload, or additional weight the truck frame, suspension, etc. is engineered to bear, is 1410.

Now it gets interesting. Add in (or subtract out actually) 2 adults, I am at 1000 pounds, now subtract the Tongue Weight of the trailer you will tow, for me, am anticipating a Bambi at 350 pounds, leaves me with 650 pounds. This tells me that after getting myself and himself in the truck, and hitching it up, we can only add in 650 pounds or less of stuff or other people IN THE TRUCK and not be over the payload capacity of the truck.

For your example, you will need to subtract out the weight of the cattle gate and the topper when figuring this. And then subtract out the hitch weight of the trailer.

Weight distribution can somewhat change this, but this is the general idea as I understand it.
Piggy Bank,
I weighed my tundra today at the CAT scale. The steer axle was 3,260 lbs, the drive axle was 2820 lbs, trailer axle 20 lbs which equaled a gross weight of 6100 lbs. The GVWR per my owners manual states 7,000 lbs. The GCWR is 15,400 lbs. The TWR is 9,3000. I posted an incorrect weight of the classic in my prior post. The AS we are now considering is the 28 ft flying cloud with a GVWR of 7,600 lbs. According to my math I'm on the edge a bit. Am I correct? Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:26 PM   #39
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Tundra Tow vehicle - my observations.

I have a 2wd, 2013 Tundra double cab with the 4.6 engine and tow rating of 8200# It has tow package, tow mirrors etc. and payload of 1350# per door sticker. I tow a '77 Argosy 28' that weighs 4300# empty and 6000# loaded so I am comfortably under the tow rating. I bought the smaller engine since that was all I needed to tow my trailer and to get better mpg when not towing and have never regretted it. It has turned out to be a very well balanced rig.

I towed 3400 miles round trip to Gillette and averaged 11.5 mpg actual at the pump. I pulled up several 10% grades at 50 mpg in 3rd gear no sweat and ran 60-70 mph on most flat land at 1900 rpm in 5th or 2200 rpm in 4th, all of it in tow haul mode. The trailer has Michelin LT rated P radials, an old Eaz-lift hitch, 1000# bars and one friction sway control, It tracks perfectly even in cross winds or meeting semi's.

I have a friend with a 2012 with 5.7 pulling a SOB the same length and he gets 8.5 mpg. My experience with 4wd is you loose about 2 mpg all the time whether engaged or not, but, the 2wd Tundra handles really lousy on ice and snow.

I have previously owned Ford, Chevy and Dodge pickups and love the Toyota as a tow vehicle with the only negative being the fuel tank is only 26 gal. and it reads empty at 20 gal so gas stops are frequent. There is only one aftermarket in bed tank that is legal for gas and also a 42 gal. replacement tank is available but both are expensive. We just plan to stop every 200 miles or so to stretch our legs and use the restroom.

I seem to recall reading in some of the blogs that Toyota used a full gas tank and the first 150# of the driver in the base truck weight for payload but can't verify that. I also noticed that according to the Toyota sales brochures the 2014 4.6 towing capacity has been lowered to 6,500# but the 5.7 remains 10,200# so the larger engine is necessary for a newer Airstream of any size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5859a.jpg
Views:	895
Size:	349.6 KB
ID:	222220  
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:11 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Asheville , North Carolina
Hi, We have just gone from a 25' FC to a 30'11" FC and tow with a 2008 IForce V8 Crew Max Cab Tundra. We bought from Colonial Airstream and ordered the ProPride Hitch. Amazing......we still don't know the Airstream is back there. Tows like a dream. John
John Moody is offline   Reply With Quote