Old 03-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
We thought we were safe w Reese, used one several years, properly mounted. It is good ONLY to its limits. Side swiped by a semi...trailer swayed...we were totally unable to recover, rollover, anti sway bars NEVER found!

This would never have happened w the Hensley. There is NO sway now when we are near semi's passing us fast. Called and wrote to Reese, no reply.

Recently drove w a Reese hitched up to another trailer, what a difference! White knuckle driving. After several years now w Hensley! NO Comparison.

Be Safe! Hensley or Propride.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
We originally had a Reese and I didn't like the sway. The ProPride makes all the difference. If we buy a second Airstream it too will be towed with a ProPride.

2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #17
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Hi HeadWest

Ultimately I think you'll be happy with either hitch.

I have the ProPride. I do believe that the ProPride does reflect an improvement over the Hensley in minor but important ways, so you're on track to consider it rather than the Hensley.

There has been one publicly reported weld failure of a ProPride hitch resulting in the trailer becoming disconnected from the tow vehicle. Thankfully, no one was hurt, since it took place at low speed and the safety chains were sufficient to control the trailer. Based on the photos of the broken hitch, I believe the failure was due to a defective weld. ProPride has announced no recall and has not answered questions about the extent of the problem or any engineering or production changes they may have made to address it.

NHTSA statistics for all trailers (RVs are not broken out due to industry lobbying) show that the most common cause of trailer-related fatalities is structural failure of the hitch components leading to separation of the trailer from the tow vehicle. Sway is way down the list.

Cequent (Reese's parent company) makes hundreds if not thousands of times more hitches than Hensley and Propride combined. To be sure, they have had their own structural failures, but the volumes are so much higher that patterns become clear and recalls initiated when appropriate. The dual cam hitch uses the same hitch head as their wd-only hitches which sell in enormous volumes. The number of these hitches in use provides a track record that simply doesn't exist with Propride and Hensley.

I am planning to take the stinger from my Propride hitch to a local welder for a careful inspection and possible re-welding.

The anti-sway performance of the Propride hitch is fantastic. It's not perfect -- the "sway elimination" bit is just marketing hubris -- but I do believe that it does a better job than the Reese dual cam.

But overall, if I had it to do over again, I'm not sure that the money was well spent, since I'm no longer convinced that the overall safety benefit is there.

Another fact to consider, that is rarely brought up, is that the Propride hitch limits the angle between the trailer and tow vehicle to about 80 degrees, which complicates parking in certain situations.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
1969 31' Sovereign
Ft. Worth , Texas
We used to pull a 2007 27FB with a Hensley. We now tow our fully restored '69 31' Landyacht Sovereign with a Reese. Needless to say, we're saving for a new Hensley. Towing without it is night and day. No amount of money can replace the way the Airstream tows when you HAVE to tow in high winds or on the interstate with the 18-wheelers.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #19
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Jammer.

Good to know that it's only pride that's eliminating our sway.

Bob

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Another vote for the ProPride which represents about 20 years of rethinking over the Hensley design. The PP is easier to hook up and the black powder coat beats faded orange paint.

I towed with a Reese HD for about 10 years, but I would never go back.

Enroute to a rally to weeks ago, out of our caravan of 13, those with conventional hitches were having a terrible time with a gusty crosswind while the Hensley and PP owners sailed merrily along with no problems. While I kept two hands on the wheel, I could have easily driven one-handed.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
There has been one publicly reported weld failure of a ProPride hitch resulting in the trailer becoming disconnected from the tow vehicle. Thankfully, no one was hurt, since it took place at low speed and the safety chains were sufficient to control the trailer. Based on the photos of the broken hitch, I believe the failure was due to a defective weld. ProPride has announced no recall and has not answered questions about the extent of the problem or any engineering or production changes they may have made to address it.
This is not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
Can I get your link source?

This is one of 2800+ hitch bars on the road. His name is John Rest. This came from BEFORE we had our welding in house.

It was determined that this piece of bar was not properly pre-heated before the weld. The others in this batch WERE as I have followed up with the bars welded on this day and not one has had a problem.

We now have a pre-heat process with an electronic thermometer to bring the part to the proper temperature before any weld is placed on it.

What The Welding Inspector Should Know About Preheating And Postweld Heat Treatment
Old 03-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Another fact to consider, that is rarely brought up, is that the Propride hitch limits the angle between the trailer and tow vehicle to about 80 degrees, which complicates parking in certain situations.
I find that the actual maximum turn angle is at least as good with the PP as with my previous Reese. The extra length of the PP (or Hensley) allows the corner of the pickup to safely clear the trailer front.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Keswick , Ontario
Hensley
Old 03-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I find that the actual maximum turn angle is at least as good with the PP as with my previous Reese. The extra length of the PP (or Hensley) allows the corner of the pickup to safely clear the trailer front.

Same case for me with the same truck and trailer, Reese vs PP.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #25
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
This is not true.
I was unaware of Sean's 2011 post which you quoted.

Nonetheless, on advice from people more familiar with welding and metalworking than me, I will be taking my own hitch bar to a welder for an independent assessment and possible re-welding. I have taken some "before" photos and may end up writing up the results of the visit to the welder at some point, if community interest is strong enough to outweigh the difficulty of dealing with what is bound to be a divisive topic.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
It is now less then a month off of our new 28 International Signature being completed. ... The pluses I see with each are:

Reese Dual Cam
1) Common and pretty simple
2) Does not cover up the hitch coupler on the trailer for moving with other equipment
3) Less expensive
4) Quicker and easier to hitch and unhitch

Propride
1) Sway elimination
2) No holes drilled in trailer a frame
...Thanks!
Most of the posts on here from actual users of either PP and H are very happy. We'd sure like to try one.
Just for devil's advocacy, we didn't have to drill our trailer frame on either of our AS to install the Progressive EQ hitch ... as you indicate with the Reese ...
Old 03-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
[QUOTE=Jammer;1275925]Hi HeadWest

Jammer,

Do you know where those pictures are? I've never seen them and would like to.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Lots of good info from everyone, I do appreciate it. I wish this was easier but it still is tough knowing what I'll be happiest with in the long run. Obviously safety is first priority along with the less stressful driving.