Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2016, 08:34 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
OCD or persnickety people make safe RV'ers?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:05 PM   #62
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Germantown , Tennessee
Another very confused noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluminati View Post
The best policy is go by the stated numbers. They are there for a reason. Don’t exceed your tongue, GVWR, CGVWR, or GAWR numbers.
Sorry to bring another confused noob to the party, but here I am! I have a '16 F-150 5.0L 3.55, with trailer tow package, which seems like it would be more than adequate. However, when I look at my numbers, not so much...
Max Tongue Weight 890
GVWR 7000
GCWR 14400
Rear GAWR 3800
Front GAWR 3525
Max Loaded Trailer Weight 8900
Max weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1618 lbs.
I would like to use a ProPride WD hitch, which I understand weighs about 200#

Looking at the International Serenity, the only model above 23' with a tongue weight that appears doable is the 27FB, with a tongue weight of 791. Posts here say to anticipate at least 100# over that - then add the weight of the ProPride and it looks like I cannot pull even a 27 footer with a 2016 V8 F-150. Then again, the label on the Class IV hitch says with a WD Hitch: Max Tongue Weight 1110, Max Gross Trailer Weight 11000, but then says "Rating will vary depending on vehicle equipment. See owner manual for specific rating."

When I look up my VIN on the internet, it says my tongue weight is limited to 890, but doesn't mention WD hitches. I have fallen and I can't get up. Please help me understand how much Airstream I can safely and confidently pull. Many thanks.
purplehaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:38 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
purplehaze, know that these weights are not simple math, a good weight distribution hitch set up evens the load on the axles and transfers about 20% hitch weight to the trailer axles. The ProPride hitch adds little to nothing to the truck's load because it extends the leverage from truck recover to trailer axles.

Your F-150 will do well with the load of a mid-size (25' to 28"Airstream), they all end up with about 1,000 lbs hitch weight loaded for travel. FB models load heavier in front because that's where the storage is. Learn to manage your truck and trailer loads to stay within axle ratings, and use the CAT scale to verify it.

Satisfaction will depend more on the power and braking on steeper mountain grades. Learn how to use the transmission to keep engine RPM up for best power range, and compression braking downhill. You have excellent service brakes on your truck and Airstream, use them to assist engine compression braking as needed to control decent speeds. For some there is a learning curve for confidence here, take your time to learn your best system.

Nice truck, with a mid-size Airstream and ProPride hitch, an excellent overall combination.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:15 AM   #64
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
We used cars to pull heavier and longer TTs right thru the 1980s. It's all about the lash up.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:36 AM   #65
2 Rivet Member

Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Apoligies in advance if I missed where the OP has opted to buy something other than the Ridgeline he and the wife were in love with. I want only to show what a Pilot did for me and what the TFL guys thought of the Ridgeline. People should not be so quick to assume a unibody structured frame has anything to do with less capability or that towing is bad for them.

http://www.tfltruck.com/2016/09/2017...-ike-gauntlet/

RinconVTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:19 AM   #66
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinconVTR View Post
Apoligies in advance if I missed where the OP has opted to buy something other than the Ridgeline he and the wife were in love with. I want only to show what a Pilot did for me and what the TFL guys thought of the Ridgeline. People should not be so quick to assume a unibody structured frame has anything to do with less capability or that towing is bad for them.

http://www.tfltruck.com/2016/09/2017...-ike-gauntlet/

I don't think anyone is saying that unibody vehicles cannot tow (We own a unibody vehicle and its very capable). However, its a fact that unibody vehicles do not have the towing/hauling capacity of body-on-frame (BOF) vehicles. Just look at the numbers. They also cannot carry as much tongue weight as BOF vehicles -- You will not find a single unibody vehicle with a receiver rated at 800# or more and some unibody vehicles (both domestic and foreign) do not support weight distribution hitches.

So, if the trailer you want to tow falls within the lower tow/haul/receiver ratings of a unibody vehicle, then by all means, get a unibody vehicle -- they are great. If not, there is no choice but to use a BOF vehicle -- they are great too. Most modern Airstreams are both heavy, and ridiculously tongue heavy. All but Bambi models have, travel ready, around 1000# of tongue weight. That eliminates pretty much all unibody vehicles due to their receiver capacity. And IMO replacing/reinforcing the receiver will not necessarily solve the problem.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:38 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Max Tongue Weight 890
GVWR 7000
GCWR 14400
Rear GAWR 3800
Front GAWR 3525
Max Loaded Trailer Weight 8900
Max weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1618 lbs.
I would like to use a ProPride WD hitch, which I understand weighs about 200#

Looking at the International Serenity, the only model above 23' with a tongue weight that appears doable is the 27FB, with a tongue weight of 791. Posts here say to anticipate at least 100# over that - then add the weight of the ProPride and it looks like I cannot pull even a 27 footer with a 2016 V8 F-150. Then again, the label on the Class IV hitch says with a WD Hitch: Max Tongue Weight 1110
PurpleHaze, you have your answer. Basically, the max tongue weight is stamped with the Max WD Hitch Tongue Weight. Those are the figures for the hitch. Your payload figure on the door is the next figure. The tongue weight is related to both and subtracted from both. It is not correct to "deduct" weight due to hitch correction as it varies, the adjustment for either regular or WD hitch is already set as a limit on the hitch receiver. The truck can handle weight up to the payload. Just remember that the payload includes people and gear as well as tongue weight. My tongue weight is 1000# but is advertised as 860# by Airstream. My guess is the 27' would be about 1000# tongue leaving you with 618# for people and stuff in the bed, truck, etc.

As far as a Honda Ridgeline is concerned, the same limits apply- payload and towing capacity. The 2017 is 1584# for people, stuff and tongue weight and, depending on the configuration 3000 to 5000# for towing. That is what that vehicle and its systems are safely designed to deal with, according to Honda. The hitch capacity is not shown on the site. That would be the third thing to check.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:08 PM   #68
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Germantown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
PurpleHaze, you have your answer. Basically, the max tongue weight is stamped with the Max WD Hitch Tongue Weight. Those are the figures for the hitch. The truck can handle weight up to the payload. My guess is the 27' would be about 1000# tongue leaving you with 618# for people and stuff in the bed, truck, etc.

Thanks Rodster. I think that cleared things up for me - many thanks. David
Old 06-11-2017, 10:29 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
My experience leads me to a quite a different take on ratings than Rod's; I believe the F-150 EcoB, Airstream 27' and ProPride combination is an excellent choice. Very well matched and a decent truck to drive when not towing.

Load your F150 and use this quality weight distribution system to ensure your truck's axles can be loaded more evenly and about 200 lbs transferred to the Airstream axles. Verify this at the CAT scale. Our ProPride adds nothing to the hitch weight because of the extended connection to the receiver. Our Airstream 25, ProPride, and truck and trailer loaded for six months travel adds 800 lbs to our Ram 1500's load. The hitch weight means little to the truck's receiver because it becomes a lifting force with w.d. applied.

Payload number has a lot more to do with hauling (than towing) where you cannot control the axle loads with a w.d. hitch. GAWR and GCWR of the truck will tell you what you can carry, pull, and stop when towing. GVWR/payoad is a nice generic number than doesn't tell you much of anything when towing.

None of this takes into consideration the superior towing and handling characteristics of an Airstream. An F-150 will tow an Airstream easier and safer than a solid axle, box-shaped travel trailer of the same weight.

Weight is only part of the story, an over-simplified method of determining a tow vehicle's actual capability.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:25 PM   #70
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Germantown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
My experience leads me to a quite a different take on ratings than Rod's; I believe the F-150 EcoB, Airstream 27' and ProPride combination is an excellent choice. Very well matched and a decent truck to drive when not towing.
Thanks, dkottum. I love my F-150, though we have the V8, not the ecoboost. We are undecided on Airstream size and config. There is a lot to like about the 25. But there's so much more to like about the 30... Just need to understand if our TV is the limiting factor. We are leaning a bit toward the 25 rear bedroom - need to spend some time in each, imagining rainy days. Tom Petty was right, regarding the hardest part.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:59 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Are hitch weight and tongue weight the same thing?

The truck will be a good match. If I may mention something of a method in making your "which trailer" decision- take a tape measure. It is amazingly telling on space comparison. Focus only on length as the width is all the same. The exercise will show you the real differences in the models. When I did it, the bathrooms were the same on the 25,27 and 28 and the twin bedrooms were one foot larger in the 27 and 28 than the 25- there was only open space but that was one of the two feet. In length difference, etc. Obviously I was comparing those three sizes. That left me to the question of how they used the other foot of difference in the 27 or 28. It may not be the same on your look but it is an interesting approach.