Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2017, 08:53 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Anyone using a 2017 Raptor as a tow vehicle?

I love the new Ford 2017 Raptor with the 450 HP 550 lb-ft torque HO v6 ecoboost engine.

Supposedly this vehicle is rated to tow 8000 lbs with a weight distribution hitch and maximum of 800 lbs of tongue weight.

I have a 2015 International Serenity 27FB with a pro pride 3 hitch.

I think it is within specs to use a Raptor as the tow vehicle but obviously I am worried about being that close to maximum considering that the 27FB is rated to 7600 lbs GVWR and has a hitch weight of 791 lbs.

Has anyone here tried using the new Ford Raptor for towing yet? I would be interested to hear your results. Specifically, I am wondering if the frame, brakes, and towing abilities are fully capable to handle a 27FB without having a death grip on your steering wheel.

I saw a towing video demonstration on youtube where they were testing the Raptor performance towing 7000 lbs. and they appeared to be pleasantly surprised. But I would rather hear from someone with first hand knowledge.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I used to have a 2014 Raptor. The problem with the Raptor is payload. In 2014 it was 1200 pounds. The problem is the soft off road suspension. I traded it for an Escalade with almost 1600 lbs payload.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 02:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
My 27FB tongue weighs, per sureline scale, 950 lbs.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
My 27FB tongue weighs, per sureline scale, 950 lbs.
Add a driver and passenger and you'll likely exceed payload. Never mind luggage or other passengers. I've seen some folks modify their Raptors with air bags to prevent it from bottoming out, but I decided I didn't want to push my luck.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:57 PM   #5
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
IMHO The off road suspension will ineffective at damping road imperfections quickly enough; allowing for too much porpoising and suspension travel. Also adding weight to the back of a sofly sprung Raptor would change the ride dynamic considerably at either end of the truck. I don't know if there would be enought adjustment in a weight distribution hitch to balance that out. It's the same problem that people face with Toyota Landcruisers, but the Toyota's and Jeeps arn't as softly sprung as a Raptor.

You want your tow vehicle to absorb potholes, ridges and undulations with the least amount of hitch movement possible but still have a decent ride.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 02:22 AM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas

Well said above.

A vehicle compromised in favor of service on unpaved roads is just that: Compromised.

Wrong tires, wrong suspension tuning, wrong vehicle height.

In other words, an already bad design (any truck) is now worsened.

A pickup is the vehicle most likely to itself be the cause of a loss of control accident. It's less stable than these trailers. It is the weak link.

A pickup modified not for roadworthiness, but for off-road will be that much worse. 4WD already makes poor poorer.

Good highways and fair weather deceive many into believing a pickup a good tow vehicle.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
After reading these comments just remember a lot of this info is opinion, some with an agenda.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It's not perfect.

But assuming you are getting a Raptor to pull your Airstream reasonable distances so you can spend some time exploring the back country with your truck, the first priority is the truck that can also comfortably tow your Airstream. Concern yourself less with GVWR/payload and more with axle ratings and weight distribution for safest towing. You already have a ProPride hitch on there, it's not going to be a death grip going down the road. It's accident avoidance and loss of control where pickups fail.

If you were getting a Raptor to tour America's highways day after day, there are better choices.

Low center of gravity for stability, full independent suspension for wider suspension-to-frame connection and less body roll, short rear overhang relative to wheelbase for sway mitigation, no frame flex or twist; a few design elements to start with for a good towing platform. Pickups in general don't do well, some Raptor off-road features take it farther away from the ideal.

So it's not always about the ideal, sometimes it's about how you will use it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Buy the Raptor with the 3.5L V6 Ecoboost + Max Tow Package and you'll be gold.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:53 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Just add a set of Firestone air bags and don't worry about soft rear suspension.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
Buy the Raptor with the 3.5L V6 Ecoboost + Max Tow Package and you'll be gold.

They don't make a Raptor like that.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:33 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Fresno , California
I just don't get it....towing on the edge or even over the edge makes absolutly no sense to me. I have knowledge of people who push the limits and have a wreck only to find their insurance company won't cover it because of the running at or iver limits. Do yourself and all the other drivers on the road a favor...get a proper tow vehicle. Lives matter.
ldireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 02:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
Just add a set of Firestone air bags and don't worry about soft rear suspension.
Air bags can be useful for leveling the vehicle when hauling heavy loads with no trailer attached, but they do nothing for weight distribution. That is the task of a capable, properly set up weight distribution hitch when towing a heavy trailer.

I think many people think a bigger truck is needed when they have stability problems with the one they are using. The bigger truck with diesel engine sets the steering axle firmly on the ground. They could have done the same thing with a good weight distribution hitch setup, and enjoyed the vehicle they already have. Safely. The Airstream will just follow rather than try to control the combination.

In other words, what you have may well be a proper tow vehicle.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Air bags can be useful for leveling the vehicle when hauling heavy loads with no trailer attached, but they do nothing for weight distribution. That is the task of a capable, properly set up weight distribution hitch when towing a heavy trailer.

I think many people think a bigger truck is needed when they have stability problems with the one they are using. The bigger truck with diesel engine sets the steering axle firmly on the ground. They could have done the same thing with a good weight distribution hitch setup, and enjoyed the vehicle they already have. Safely. The Airstream will just follow rather than try to control the combination.

In other words, what you have may well be a proper tow vehicle.
He already has a pro pride distribution hitch. No airbags won't help with weight distribution, no one said it would. Yes airbags will stiffen the ride of a vehicle whether it is towing or not. Air bags will stop the porpoising that soft off road suspension is known for while towing. Know this for fact as I have two trucks running firestone bags.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 03:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have towed our Airstream with two Ram 1500 trucks, soft coil spring rear suspension and no airbags. Without enough weight distribution to the front we could expect porpoising, no problem with good weight distribution including some tilt of the w.d. bars down in back.

I think air bags may be useful when hauling heavy loads and not towing to prevent the back of the truck front sagging. But we don't do heavy hauling often and when we do I prefer to use our utility trailer, easier to load/unload and our truck handles and brakes better.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
The air bags also make leveling super easy when you load up the pickup bed with additional gear. Like was said above, they definitely help lessen the "interstate hop".
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:20 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Thanks for the towing opinions.

Who knew it could create such animosity from some?

Basically, I was considering the Raptor because I have used F-250 diesel crewcabs for about 30 years as my daily driver. I live in Durango, Colorado at 8000 feet elevation with about 3 miles of dirt road access to my house. Half the year it is snow packed.

I use my F-250 about 25,000 miles a year with about 1/3rd to 1/2 of that towing my 27FB International Serenity.

I was considering the Raptor because it looks like fun and I would like a change. However, it is probably impractical for towing my trailer, even though technically it would probably do just fine.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:20 AM   #18
JJ1
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Redondo Beach , California
I had a 2009 Escalade awd w/ towing pkg and I pulled my 2008 23Dfor 2 years. The Escalade actually did pretty well with a pro series wd hitch, but at the end of the day it was just not enough. 18mph up ste grades and the steep decents were bigger concerns. The Escalade has a 400 hp aluminum block motor and it's a good one, just not truly designed to pull this kind of wt. plus once your trailer is loaded, your payload options narrow pretty quick. I ended up selling the Escalade and going with a GMC 2500hd duramax, the same machine as your Ford F-250. I also sold the 23D and found an International 28...so I had to change anyway. Towing clos to the limit was just not worth the headache, especially when hauling th family around.
Good luck and safe travels.
JJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:29 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
For my wife and I and the dog, a 2013 Escalade is plenty to tow our 30'. According to the CAT scales I have not exceeded payload or axel weights. And it is very stable and the engine pulls just fine.

However, if I had more passengers and luggage and weight, and if that exceeded my payload or axel ratings, then I would consider a larger truck. I am wanting to take my golf cart with me, so a F250/350 is in my future. But it won't be because the Escalade doesn't "feel safe" or the winds or the grade or anything. A 6.2L engine with 403hp and 417 ft-lbs of torque and 1600 lbs payload is plenty for a couple to tow their 30' Airstream.

The Raptor, on the other hand, with only 1200 lbs of payload is a trickier proposition.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:36 AM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
Thanks for the towing opinions.

Who knew it could create such animosity from some?

Basically, I was considering the Raptor because I have used F-250 diesel crewcabs for about 30 years as my daily driver. I live in Durango, Colorado at 8000 feet elevation with about 3 miles of dirt road access to my house. Half the year it is snow packed.

I use my F-250 about 25,000 miles a year with about 1/3rd to 1/2 of that towing my 27FB International Serenity.

I was considering the Raptor because it looks like fun and I would like a change. However, it is probably impractical for towing my trailer, even though technically it would probably do just fine.

You wanted opinions? Or happy talk?

One could tow with most anything. But, why?

I get passed all the time by lifted 4WD trucks pulling trailers. Toyhaulers are the worst bunch. It's comical, it's so predictable.

And it's black humor among truck drivers that we feel sorry for the kids. There goes Baby Daddy at the wheel.

A father would know better.

Think -- just maybe -- we've seen what you haven't?

Start from the premise of what's ideal. A 4WD pickup optimized for off-roading is at the other end of that spectrum.

Use what you want. Your money and your rig. I wouldn't use a JK Wrangler, but there are those who do.

I use a one ton Dodge. Work vehicle. 2WD with IFS. Suspension modified for better handling. A VPP hitch. And have tested with violent high speed maneuvers. And I've been doing this over forty years.

I know what the rig can and cannot do. I advise you to push the limits and give yourself an elevated heart rate. And worse. Work out beforehand a situation, and drive it. Stand on it.

Then you'll know. Before you're "on vacation".

But with a Raptor or similar one has a longer learning curve solo. Budget some tires.

Good luck.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote