Old 09-23-2016, 10:02 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
How does the cargo bed length of the Transit van compare to Fred? I think the spec for the Transit van, extended wheelbase is 143".

Kelvin

KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:14 AM   #16
explorer

2010 30' Flying Cloud
On the Road Full Time , Utah
I had a friend put this spreadsheet together for me.

For some reason the transits feel so much bigger inside. I think it's the square corners.

Follow our journey living and working from the road full-time: https://themoreweexplore.com
explore more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:20 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
So. Looking at your spec sheet,they're pretty much the same dimensions. Believing you easily possess the ability, after seeing everything you've already done to Fred yourself, why not just chop the top and install a Westfalia style topper? After which, with slightly robust struts installed you could install upside roof mounts for the bikes, handle bars towards the rear against the outside edges and that should give enough room for comfort and never have to disassemble them.
I know, I'm one of those you mentioned in the video and you've already "decided" but you've got do much into Fred and you never get out what you've put in. (Not very stealthy though)
http://s84.photobucket.com/user/Roon..._0043.jpg.html
Old 09-23-2016, 03:51 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Clinton , Montana
Unless I've missed something in this thread I find myself compelled to ask the question; "why in the world are you shopping for a 'new van'"? I've watched your YouTube videos on your present setup and it is perfect. The motor and chassis combination that you've put together should last you a million miles! What's driving this van shopping? Sorry to be so nosey but when you "put your life out there on YouTube" you're gonna get questions. I admire your work a great deal.

Pat
Old 09-25-2016, 10:02 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Clinton , Montana
Aah yes...the rest of the story.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpatrick16 View Post
Unless I've missed something in this thread I find myself compelled to ask the question; "why in the world are you shopping for a 'new van'"? I've watched your YouTube videos on your present setup and it is perfect. The motor and chassis combination that you've put together should last you a million miles! What's driving this van shopping? Sorry to be so nosey but when you "put your life out there on YouTube" you're gonna get questions. I admire your work a great deal.

Pat
I must admit when I posted the above I had missed the earlier posts I even went on-line to see if you were making a "YouTube" video about your quest. Then I took another look at the "history" of what had been posted and "discovered" the "why" of what you were trying to do. Now I understand the "rest of the story". Good luck in getting this all figured out.
Pat