Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2016, 07:02 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Pony View Post
What an appropriate time for this question. I have a F150 with this option. This weekend I attempted to set up the system for my FC 26u. I read the instructions twice. (that's 2 times more than I usually read instructions) Took the measurements twice. When I entered the last number (the distance between the tailgate and the center of both axles) the computer said I was outside the allowable distance, so it would not accept my entry. I took photos of the sticker placement,so, today its off to the Ford dealer. My next entry will detail Ford's response.
It it looking for your input in feet or inches? And did you input inches instead of feet? Just a guess on my part....

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:44 PM   #22

2007 27' Classic FB
Palm harbor , Florida
AirArmy

Bought our 2016 F-150 a few months ago and it came with Trailer assist. Pretty much a waste of time. The concept is you turn the knob in the direction you want the AS to go. Unfortunately it's not very smooth. I tried it a number of times and found it difficult. The swing of the AS was always more drastic than when I controlled the wheel ( but I've been trailering boats a very long time). But their backup camera trailer system is great. Once you match the AS hitch to the system. You never have to get out of the truck to check. You feel like you're hooking up to the space station. QUOTE=DaytonaDan;1817298]Anybody have experience with Ford's New "Pro Trailer Backup Assist"?

I known it started with the 2016 F150. Now, I think it's also available on their new 2017 SuperDuty Rigs.

Like to know if its true that it "improves driver confidence by letting the driver steer the trailer instinctively as they control the accelerator and brakes, while the truck takes care of the rest."??[/QUOTE]
Army6804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Rear view camera mounted on AS coordinated with F-150?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army6804 View Post
Bought our 2016 F-150 a few months ago and it came with Trailer assist. Pretty much a waste of time. The concept is you turn the knob in the direction you want the AS to go. Unfortunately it's not very smooth. I tried it a number of times and found it difficult. The swing of the AS was always more drastic than when I controlled the wheel ( but I've been trailering boats a very long time). But their backup camera trailer system is great. Once you match the AS hitch to the system. You never have to get out of the truck to check. You feel like you're hooking up to the space station. QUOTE=DaytonaDan;1817298]Anybody have experience with Ford's New "Pro Trailer Backup Assist"?

I known it started with the 2016 F150. Now, I think it's also available on their new 2017 SuperDuty Rigs.

Like to know if its true that it "improves driver confidence by letting the driver steer the trailer instinctively as they control the accelerator and brakes, while the truck takes care of the rest."??
[/QUOTE]

I have a friend who is ordering a 2017 23D FC, and F150; he said the new AS will synch backup camera with his F150 display. Anyone else here of this? Could be coordinated with entire back up system, which would make sense...
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:27 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
I may be incorrect on this but on the 2017 Super Duty, from what I understand it does not have the back assist like the F150, but does have a calibration process in order for the blind spot indicators to work, including your trailer and will help with visualizing the angle of your trailer in relation to the truck. It doesn't allow you to "turn the knob" and back but does give you a better visualization when backing. On the Super Duty it is called Trailer Reverse Guidance system. There are some documents already out which explain the setup of the stickers on the trailer and an overview of the feature.

Chuck
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:34 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Los Gatos , California
Would love to see a photo of the aluminum plate for the sticker.
Hudsoncamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:07 AM   #26
Vaquitaboss

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Lithia , Florida
Here's the picture

Good morning. It's a little tough to see the plate on the tongue, and I hope this helps. I made a cardboard pattern, then used very thin aluminum purchased at home Depot. A fine tooth sabre saw blade did the rest. I painted it with rustoleum . It does slide under the tongue jack.

We are in the middle of a six week trip now, and I like the way the back up feature works. It does take a bit to get used to, and well worth sticking with it.

Good luck, and thanks for asking.

Richard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160925_065008.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	272307  
vaquitaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:54 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Woodland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaquitaboss View Post
We are in the middle of a six week trip now, and I like the way the back up feature works. It does take a bit to get used to, and well worth sticking with it.
Thanks for that informative post; a picture is worth a thousand words.
Mach5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:45 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaDan View Post
http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/gall.../FMFT1212000H/

It looks cool, however, I think an Airstream trailer height would block the truck's backup camera's view.

Maybe it can be combined with the new Airstream WiFi backup camera/video screen to augment the driver's view.

Has anyone had Experience with this new Ford system?
Actually there's an optional wireless camera that is part of the FORD system to put on the back of your trailer. That's probably the best part of this whole thing; not the backup assist knob.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:27 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito98103 View Post
It works fine/as advertised.

You still need to know what's behind you - won't protect you from stupid.
As soon as someone comes out with a tow rig that will protect you from stupid, I'm buying it.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:31 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
I have a 2017 250 on order and looked into the optional trailer camera and TPMS system. The Ford trailer camera is a wired system and the TPMS is wireless
Pete B55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:18 AM   #31
Rivet Master

What could possibly go wrong????????

One more thing to break?????? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I have a wireless backup camera for hitching up. Used it a few times. Meh!!!

I might hook it up to the back of the trailer, where it MIGHT be more useful.

I might have told this story but it's such a good story…..

Before I installed my backup camera, my step son dropped in for a visit and notice the camera system, brand new in the box, and exclaimed, " THIS IS SO COOL LET'S HOOK IT UP !!!!!!" So we did

After installation to the tow vehicle, it was time for the test. I was hoping for a clear shot of my trailer but no dice. I couldn't figure out WHAT I was looking at. Then I heard big time laughter….and figured it out. My step son was mooning the camera…..up close…….WAY up close. I laughed for a few weeks.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:06 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Boise , Idaho
Ford's Trailer ASSIST - ASSIST is the Keyword here

Several people who are negative to Ford's Trailer Assist have obviously never used it. The keyword is "Assist". It won't backup for you. I've used it for a year and think it is great. I can backup with it or without it and prefer with it. If you pay attention and watch the steering react to your use of the Trailer Assist knob you can actually learn how to manually backup if you are new to the action.
AppleAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:00 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
I'll stick with my old 03 f150. Just added a new stereo, 4 new speakers and a backup camera much cheaper than buying a new truck! I love the backup camera and am thinking about wiring one up on the back of the Airstream too. I'll keep keep that 40-60k and invest it in Apple stock thank you.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' International
Tuttle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Pony View Post
What an appropriate time for this question. I have a F150 with this option. This weekend I attempted to set up the system for my FC 26u. I read the instructions twice. (that's 2 times more than I usually read instructions) Took the measurements twice. When I entered the last number (the distance between the tailgate and the center of both axles) the computer said I was outside the allowable distance, so it would not accept my entry. I took photos of the sticker placement,so, today its off to the Ford dealer. My next entry will detail Ford's response.
Did you ever get a response from the Ford dealer?
I just bought a new 2017 F150 with the trailer backup assist system and haven't set it up yet. My Pro-Pride hitch on my 25'FC may extend that length, plus it looks like the trailer brake safety release may block placement of the sticker on the tongue.
M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:46 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
I have a friend who is ordering a 2017 23D FC, and F150; he said the new AS will synch backup camera with his F150 display. Anyone else here of this? Could be coordinated with entire back up system, which would make sense...[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that with the F150 360* camera package you install a separate camera to the rear of the AS which is wired to the TV. That camera will feed into the truck's display. The ultimate camera package also allows the TPMS to show on the truck display.
Doodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:03 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodad View Post
I have a friend who is ordering a 2017 23D FC, and F150; he said the new AS will synch backup camera with his F150 display. Anyone else here of this? Could be coordinated with entire back up system, which would make sense...
My understanding is that with the F150 360* camera package you install a separate camera to the rear of the AS which is wired to the TV. That camera will feed into the truck's display. The ultimate camera package also allows the TPMS to show on the truck display.[/QUOTE]

Have not tried the automated back up assist yet. Planning to do that shortly. Right now, my wife is my assist!

I was told in order to synch for backup trailer camera, you need the Ford camera package. Also, the TPMS built into the Ford for trailer, is pretty expensive; like $250 per axle? Anyway, I have been using the AS camera with monitor sitting on my dash...not ideal, but no issues. Would be nice if it would synch...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote