Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2016, 02:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Cool Anybody have experience with Ford's New "Pro Trailer Backup Assist"?

Anybody have experience with Ford's New "Pro Trailer Backup Assist"?

I known it started with the 2016 F150. Now, I think it's also available on their new 2017 SuperDuty Rigs.

Like to know if its true that it "improves driver confidence by letting the driver steer the trailer instinctively as they control the accelerator and brakes, while the truck takes care of the rest."??
DaytonaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:50 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
LOL I don't know but it sounds like a baaaaaaaad accident waiting to happen!

If you can't back up a trailer you shouldn't own one.

I'll wait for the YouTube videos of trailers slamming into picnic tables and trees...

RareStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:17 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
It's nothing more than a gimmick enabling you to back up a trailer with no knowledge on what your doing. Dont waste your money!
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Sounds cool.

How does it work?
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Yea, self driving cars are the thing. Ask that Tesla driver in Florida.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:03 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Ugh!!! Is this a real thing? Some of the new tech in modern day vehicles is just beyond my comprehension.....

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Yes it is a real thing. Google is your friend.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:50 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Cool Here's the Video Link for Ford's New "Pro Trailer Backup Assist".

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/gall.../FMFT1212000H/

It looks cool, however, I think an Airstream trailer height would block the truck's backup camera's view.

Maybe it can be combined with the new Airstream WiFi backup camera/video screen to augment the driver's view.

Has anyone had Experience with this new Ford system?
DaytonaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:02 AM   #9
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Just saw an article about eliminating side view mirrors on cars with the advent of all these 360° cameras. But with cars driving themselves, we'll have plenty of time to watch the dashboard video screen!

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
That's what killed the Tesla driver, watching a video as the reports say.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:25 AM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaDan View Post
http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/gall.../FMFT1212000H/

It looks cool, however, I think an Airstream trailer height would block the truck's backup camera's view.

Maybe it can be combined with the new Airstream WiFi backup camera/video screen to augment the driver's view.

Has anyone had Experience with this new Ford system?
The Ford trailer backup assist uses the truck's rear camera to monitor the angle of the trailer with respect to the truck. The driver is expected to use the truck's side mirrors and/or a spotter to monitor what's behind and around the trailer itself.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:44 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Joliet , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarestream View Post
lol i don't know but it sounds like a baaaaaaaad accident waiting to happen!

If you can't back up a trailer you shouldn't own one.

I'll wait for the youtube videos of trailers slamming into picnic tables and trees...

x 2!!!
bel73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Sounds cool.

How does it work?

It seems:

A knob controls truck steering box. The feedback loop is the driver is supposed to turn the knob in the direction the trailer is supposed to go.

Right.

1) I turn the bottom of the wheel in the direction I want the trailer to go.

2) My wife tells my which direction via our Motorola Walkie-Talkies.

3) I'm ultimately responsible for ending up in the RV spot and straight enough to drop the hitch.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:08 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
It works fine/as advertised.

You still need to know what's behind you - won't protect you from stupid.
vito98103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:14 PM   #15
Vaquitaboss

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Lithia , Florida
I just purchased a 'demo' F150 King Ranch, and that feature was on it. I really enjoy backing trailers the old fashioned way as it sometimes is a challenge to get the trailer where I want it. But....

I did take the time to calibrate the system, and on my FC 23 FB, I had to create an aluminum addition to the tongue to apply the included sticker to. Once calibrated, the function was pretty cool to use. I don't think I would pay for that feature, but it IMO, it is not just a gimmick.
vaquitaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Maybe a useful Gimmick with practice

Just over 200 miles on my 2106 F350 King Ranch, I noticed the feature when adjusting my Equalizer Hitch to align with my trailer with a different tow vehicle.

The rear view camera is clear and the 'feature' has a center alignment of the ball as you back up towards the trailer's hitch on the screen. The center line does help to center the connection.

As I get within two or three feet, I depend on my wife to finish with our usual driver watching hand signals. Small movements of the steering wheel affect the center alignment line on the screen, as you back up. It was accurate and would be a valuable tool for a solo driver.

With more experience the feature may assist me as intended... a solo connecting tow vehicle to trailer. After years of my wife and I as a team effort, it may be quicker to get close and make a perfect NASA maneuver to 'dock'.

I will know more as we travel. A solo driver would have to make sure that the trailer is high enough to clear the ball when backing up.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:01 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Marina , California
I have it on my 2016 F150 and it does not work with my Hensley Cub.
Off-we-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:25 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Just over 200 miles on my 2106 F350 King Ranch, I noticed the feature when adjusting my Equalizer Hitch to align with my trailer with a different tow vehicle.

The rear view camera is clear and the 'feature' has a center alignment of the ball as you back up towards the trailer's hitch on the screen. The center line does help to center the connection.

As I get within two or three feet, I depend on my wife to finish with our usual driver watching hand signals. Small movements of the steering wheel affect the center alignment line on the screen, as you back up. It was accurate and would be a valuable tool for a solo driver.

With more experience the feature may assist me as intended... a solo connecting tow vehicle to trailer. After years of my wife and I as a team effort, it may be quicker to get close and make a perfect NASA maneuver to 'dock'.

I will know more as we travel. A solo driver would have to make sure that the trailer is high enough to clear the ball when backing up.
Ray, I have a 2016, not as new as your 2106 (-; but it has the same trailer hookup aid and I use it solo, after a few times of using it I can now have the ball under the receiver the first time. The hardest part is when you get close it can be difficult to have the depth perception to see that the ball is actually under the receiver, not too far back. If you push the "+" sign in the upper left corner of the screen it magnifies the view so you can more accurately get the ball in the right place.

Steve
Old 07-09-2016, 12:07 AM   #19
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
i use the backup camera on the Tundra to connect to the trailer now all the time ... i can usually get it on one go and love it! ....never liked having to have someone back me onto the hitch and this eliminates it totally ....it takes some getting use to but once your over the learning curve your set..... this is not a back up the trailer system though.
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:33 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Punta Gorda, Florida , Florida
F150 back up assist

What an appropriate time for this question. I have a F150 with this option. This weekend I attempted to set up the system for my FC 26u. I read the instructions twice. (that's 2 times more than I usually read instructions) Took the measurements twice. When I entered the last number (the distance between the tailgate and the center of both axles) the computer said I was outside the allowable distance, so it would not accept my entry. I took photos of the sticker placement,so, today its off to the Ford dealer. My next entry will detail Ford's response.
Silver Pony is offline   Reply With Quote