Old 06-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #57

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up What They Said..

Originally Posted by txbinks View Post
In reference to my towing questions is the following info...

The orignial sticker that was on this 1997 K1500 Suburban LT says the following in reference to towing, etc: "7,300 LB GVW Rating Factory Installed", HD Trailering which is factory installed as well as these options added- HD Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, 3.42 Rear Axle Ratio, 4spd Auto Trans with OD.

Last year I had Helwig Helper Leaf Springs installed/bolted to it to bring up the payload to 2500 lbs.

From what I have read I thought this Burb would only pull approx 5500 lbs max. I'm not sure what it had "7,300 GVW" listed on the invoice.

FYI- I am wanting an AS. However, I just looked at an Avion today that is FSBO (retired neighbors) which is 30', 1983 model and had a GVWR of approx 8500lbs on its ID tag. They are asking $6,500 for it (2nd ownders, Zip Dee's, just had new tires added to it, etc. tho needs batteries, coupling for heater?)

I appreciate any thoughts.

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #58
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Originally Posted by bobfowler View Post
My 2000 GMC 3/4 ton 5.0L van had 3.42 gears... Pulled fine on the level, couldn't go up hills to save it's life. My 1999 1/2 ton 5.7L Burb has 3.73 gears, much better!
I wish I could have a split rear end like the old school buses had. One for speed, One for towing.

Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:58 PM   #59
2004 34' Classic S/O
Huntsville , Alabama
Road sub: We have a 10,500 lb 34 ft. trailer. We pull with an F250. Yes it downshifts and that is OK. With many mountains behind us I have a rule. Before I start on steep grades I slow to 40 or 45 MPH. I allow the vehicles to accelerate to 55 mph and then I brake down to my start speed. As long as you do not get going too fast you are OK. We purchased a Hensley hitch 113,000 miles ago and it is a pleasure to tow with it. Be sure your brakes and tires (five years or younger) are in top notch condition. Do some towing in relatively flat country and build your confidence. fjs
fschmidt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:13 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member
1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
On the strech of I-5, between Redding, Ca., and Central Point, Or., there are many 6 to 7% grades. In winter it is not uncommon for the road to be closed from time to time, due to the weather in the Shasta mountains.
Made that run last winter, with around 4k, or so for trailer, another 1k in suburban. blowing fog, could'nt see past headlights, patches of ice and snow,yes, had some real fear. Put it in 2nd. gear, and made downhills at 25 to 35, did'nt care if some big-rigs passed me. Would not go faster than I thought was safe, for existing conditions.
rangebowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:06 PM   #61
Rivet Master
1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Hey, come to Colorado, that will brake you in on hills, 10% grades with 10 mph switchbacks.... You better hope your truck downshifts!!!!!!!!!!!!

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:51 PM   #62

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Took some time, but not really afraid anymore.

More like.. very, very aware.
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #63
Rivet Master
1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Have to agree with Robert Cross: don't be afraid if you have the right set-up, but be very, very aware! I am always a little stressed when in traffic or in towns, but I figure that's natures way of making sure I'm tuned in to what I'm doing. Also- when on a narrow street with cars parked on your right, be VERY cautious when making a left turn, like into a parking lot! I ALMOST sideswiped a car with the rear end of my coach when it swung out to the right, while turning left. I was lucky, lesson learned!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:43 PM   #64
The Silver Schooner
2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
If I can, you can

Maybe this story will help. I picked up my 28' Safari at the dealer's in Burlington Vt and towed her home more than 200 miles alone. I'd never towed anything as big and heavy as the AS and she was my brand new (expensive) baby. And I'd never towed anything with this truck. All my research told me that the truck could handle her - but I wasn't sure because theory can be very different from reality.

I had the whitest knuckles I'd ever had when I left the dealer's and got into traffic and by some shopping malls and several traffic lights and turns before I got on the interstate. I really wondered if I was going to live to tell about the trip. I stuck to the right hand lane and took it slow and easy until I got a feel for how she handled. There are some pretty good hills in northern Vermont on I-89 and I was worried that she'd get out of hand. From driving in 6" of snow on steep hills earlier I'd learned how to drop her down a gear or two (automatic trans with tow package) to use the engine as a break. I slowed down just before I reached the crest of a hill so that I was in total control, I geared down and felt comfortable going down, and didn't use the brakes. That's the key - feeling comfortable and in control. I didn't care how fast the rest of the world was going and I still don't. I set my own standards. If I need two lanes to make a turn I take them. If other people get upset about me and what I'm doing I figure they will get over it and if they don't we'll know what they died of. (I try to be courteous and pull over to let a string of cars go by on a two lane road and in other situations) but I don't let anybody crowd me or push me or force me to do something I don't want to. If I need to change lanes and I can't get into the other lane in slow traffic I stop and wait and eventually I'll get the opportunity I need. It's all a matter of attitude - I wanted this trailer and I wanted to be able to handle her alone and I was probably as scared as I've ever been when I picked her up- but I just thought it through - used my experience and what I took to be good advice I'd been given and I had a great trip. Now I've even learned how to back her into my very narrow driveway on my very narrow street and I'm ready to go most anywhere reasonable.

As the song goes "Take it easy - don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy" If this 110 lb female can do it - you can too - maybe even better! Best wishes.
Louisa & Jasper Joy
Pudentane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:06 AM   #65
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I find no matter how many miles one tows these things, if you do cross country runs like I do, something will challenge you big time. In a nutshell concentration is the issue, and it can happen in a heartbeat. From lanes that no trailer can fit in around Reno, to switchback turns between angel fire and Taos with rock outcroppings ready to peel your castle like a sardine can, or semis in Chicago that just want to see if they can dent your baby with nanometers to spare and everything in the middle. As a rule, I turn on my classical music, zone in, get through the tough spots like major city traffic and have no distractions. I guess from my perspective I see it as a miracle when the day is done nothing has gone wrong. The one single biggest thing any of us can do is not tailgate however. It is a rule that will always help make the day a good one.

safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote