Old 10-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
North Everett , Washington
Our trailer is a wide body and while the bed is not huge my wife and I are not either. I'm 5'9 and the wife is 5'3 and we sleep it at what I would imagine is the foot end of the bed cause it made more sense to me. Its not the queen size we sleep on at home but it is pretty comfortable especially compared to the 24 inch thermarests on the ground we used to sleep on. The only person who is disappointed is the 100lb Black Lab who has to sleep in a dog bed, oh the humanity!
The sway pro was set up by the techs at AS Adventures NW and they did a fine job. I started at 7 links and drove it around some then moved it up to 9 links and that was too high pulling the front up and so I went to 8 links and the trailer is perfectly level. I measured the front fender height with a tape measure to the ground and it stays at 40.5 inches with or without the trailer hitched up. The back end is coming down and the truck is rotating up in the front. But I also had leveling kit installed before I went back to stock tires and came off the 35 inch tires so the kit will definately going to be coming out as that's likely the main issue there.
Now I should probably clarify that I am an aircraft mechanic by trade and am a little picky about the details. So what is sagging to me is maybe fine to most others. Truck handles well and the beams are on the ground mostly but I just figure that some airbags would perfectly level the truck body at least and take up some of the spring travel.
I went with the 10klb torsion bars since the only other option was too low in my opinion. The10ks allowed me to be closer to a middle ground for the tongue weight rating while the next lower put me almost to the max with the "notoriously low" tongue weight specs provided by AS.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:10 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Woodstock , Georgia
2004 5.3 suburban 4x4 tows ours all day all night up hill down hill with ease 12-13 mpg 150000 miles....
You got more power less weight. Have fun!

The Streaming Gantt's on Airstream Forums

Old 10-26-2014, 10:36 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Althea68 View Post
Our trailer is a wide body and while the bed is not huge my wife and I are not either. I'm 5'9 and the wife is 5'3 and we sleep it at what I would imagine is the foot end of the bed cause it made more sense to me. Its not the queen size we sleep on at home but it is pretty comfortable especially compared to the 24 inch thermarests on the ground we used to sleep on. The only person who is disappointed is the 100lb Black Lab who has to sleep in a dog bed, oh the humanity!
The sway pro was set up by the techs at AS Adventures NW and they did a fine job. I started at 7 links and drove it around some then moved it up to 9 links and that was too high pulling the front up and so I went to 8 links and the trailer is perfectly level. I measured the front fender height with a tape measure to the ground and it stays at 40.5 inches with or without the trailer hitched up. The back end is coming down and the truck is rotating up in the front. But I also had leveling kit installed before I went back to stock tires and came off the 35 inch tires so the kit will definately going to be coming out as that's likely the main issue there.
Now I should probably clarify that I am an aircraft mechanic by trade and am a little picky about the details. So what is sagging to me is maybe fine to most others. Truck handles well and the beams are on the ground mostly but I just figure that some airbags would perfectly level the truck body at least and take up some of the spring travel.
I went with the 10klb torsion bars since the only other option was too low in my opinion. The10ks allowed me to be closer to a middle ground for the tongue weight rating while the next lower put me almost to the max with the "notoriously low" tongue weight specs provided by AS.
Understand; we went from the 48" bed in our first AS, to Twins...34" each person plus room to dance in between! Not sure about the 10K bars however for the 23'? Check out this website...too strong a spring bar can also cause issues....
http://www.blueox.com/Uploads/Docs/B...,1500,2000.pdf
on their site they mention too strong a spring bar can cause issues, but the website above, page 7 on their troubleshooting manual, shows all kinds of situation with possible remedy's. Good luck!
Old 10-26-2014, 12:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Our 23D corner bedroom went across the CAT scales at 5120, reasonably loaded for 2 weeks camping in Oregon, included 1/4 tank of water. The tongue weight on the Sherline scale was 780. (since added 3 solar panels, heavier 6 volt batteries, and a bike rack/bikes....65+30+80.)

We pull the 2014 23D with a 2013 RAM 1500 with shell. We use a simple Husky WD system/sway control with 800 lb bars, and AirLift 1000 air bags @ 20lbs (of 35 max). 11.5-12.5 mpg. The 23D has 15 inch Michelins now.....much better ride and control and higher clearance.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
HIGHLAND VILLAGE , Texas
Interesting thread, I'm about to trade in my little Escape for an F-150. I don't like or want a big truck, this will be my daily driver as well. And I do have toys to haul as well. Question is which F-150? I need a longer bed, 4 doors. I don't think I need 4WD, what other things should I be looking for?

I'll be looking for a 5 yr oldish 25' FB twin.

Dan in Dallas...
Old 10-29-2014, 12:11 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
North Everett , Washington
Hostage, I can tell you that I would have gone for a long bed heavy duty tow package but I got my truck for a deal so I figured it would do well enough. It's unlikely you'll find a truck that fits those build specs on a lot though. You may get lucky and be able to find a dealer that can locate one somewhere and bring it in but in my experience your gonna need to order one.
And be ready to pull the trigger on a used AS also they go fast and there are plenty of buyers that are on the hunt. I would definitely recommend buying from an authorized AS dealer. We were very pleased with our experience at AS Adventures North West.