Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 12:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 Nest
San Rafael , California
Unhappy Anti-sway / Weight Distribution for new Nest

We are trading our Bambi in for the new Nest.
Because the Nest has a cowling over the front, I can't use the E-Z hitch from the Bambi (the cowling is mounted with side bars that preclude a simple fix). The dealer seemed like they were guessing in recommending a new one, saying something to the effect of "oh we can get one that will work".
Yes, so can I...
It seems that the Nest is so new that no one really knows.
Also, they said that since it's so light I don't really need one... (yeah, rrright…)

I am towing with a 2010 Toyota Tacoma with a factory hitch set-up.

Haaalp!

Thanks in advance,
-Marc
Silvr_Lining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:03 AM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Add the TUSON (Lippert branded) trailer-mounted electronic anti-sway. A device that should be standard equipment.

WD is generally needed when TW is at or above 350-500/lbs.

The shortest possible distance from TV rear axle to hitch ball is the thing. A few inches matter, as in, “can’t get it any closer to rear bumper”.

The hitch receiver, the hitch ball shank. May both need to be modified.

I’d contact Andrew Thomson at Can Am RV. He’s the expert (10,000 tow rig setups), and regards this problem solving as hobby.

An EAZ-Lift hitch is the likely answer, once ball location optimized.

L
The general response to your question is, what is the TW? Measured, as you’ll use the TT. Ideally it’s from 10-15% of the TT weight.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:20 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Omaha , Nebraska
We tow our Nest with a 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 1500, use a sway bar, have had no issues at all with sway. RV dealer told us we didn't need a weight distributing hitch, that they would have to cut into the fiberglass propane tank cover to install one and didn't recommend doing that. We have taken our Nest on a 4,000 mile trip on all kinds of highway roads with no issues.
Beboplu is offline   Reply With Quote