Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have an idea....read you TV owner manual and call the mfr if you need to. AS dealer shouldn't advise on things they know nothing about.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Ruby Dog, What kind of WD hitch do you have? All of the newer ones, even the non premium brands have sway control built in and a friction sway control add on is not necessary. If you have an old hitch, I would upgrade to a new hitch before adding friction sway control. These are a pain as they have to be disconnected before backing up.
Vehicle sway control systems control sway once they detect it. I personally don't want sway to get started and have to rely on a black box under the hood to stop it.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:14 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I have an idea....read you TV owner manual and call the mfr if you need to. AS dealer shouldn't advise on things they know nothing about.
Best advice I've read today!
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I would say that both can be useful and I would not tow without a WD hitch, even if it has no sway control. But my Andersen hitch has a built in sway control and my Jeep Grand Cherokee has some kind of an electronic sway control. The Andersen puts a fiction type sway control into the hitch to reduce the tendency to sway to begin with, the electronic systems have to sense sway first, then react, although I am sure they do it fast. My new Jeep's electronic system has never engaged to my knowledge. About 16 to 18 K towing with that rig, so far.

To be factual, in over 200,000 miles of towing Airstreams over the past 36 years I have never had any sway on any Airstream other than the most minor push/pull truck passing wiggle. That was with an old short wheelbase Jeep towing a 25' using a Reese with no built in sway control. It was slightly annoying but never felt dangerous or out of control.

The latest Jeep GC/FC 20'/Andersen handles like one vehicle not two, and is exceptionally stable.

Our equipment we have today simply gets better and better.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:27 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vancouver , British Columbia
I have an old WD hitch but can still get anti-sway for it. GMC recommends leaving the system on. Interestingly, especially given the reluctance of companies to go out on any limb, GMC has a promotional video on You Tube that states the truck system is designed to control trailer sway on ice. I will probably upgrade my hitch and treat the hitch system as preventative and the truck system as corrective. I am new to both AS and the Forum and am impressed with the level of discussion on my question. Thank to everyone who commented.
RubyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:49 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyDog View Post
I am new to both AS and the Forum and am impressed with the level of discussion on my question. Thank to everyone who commented.
Yes, you will find we are quite capable to beating a subject to death.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
depends on which equalizing hitch you have installed. i asked about this specifically when the dealer recommended the blue ox and was told this equalizer does not benefit from a sway control arm. there are equalizing hitches that could probably benefit from this addition but it really depends on what you are using.
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I don't have a "dog" in this hunt, this is my second SwayPro since I let my first one go with sale of our 08', 25' FC. With the new FC this year, we purchased the new Sway Pro. You can read and talk with folks who like other brands obviously in this thread and even "beat the horse" as mentioned. This video from their web site answers most questions about sway control, and equalization features...and makes sense to "me"; aside from others having brand loyalty, I liked the BO reputation and price also.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote