Old 11-23-2015, 01:30 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' International
Quartz Hill , California
A Towing Video with the GMC Canyon...

Google YouTube Ike Gauntlet Fast Lane Truck 2015 Canyon Towing Test. They take the V-6 GMC Canyon up to the Eisenhower Tunnel in Colorado towing about 5,600 pounds and discuss the pros, cons and limits of towing with the GMC Canyon. Very informative and I think it will answer a lot of your questions. I would post a link but since the last updat my iPad is being bratty.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:24 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
That is 100% incorrect. While there might be many a practical reason not to tow with your truck, legal worries aren't one of them.

While I agree legal issues are not the major concern, safety is, you are incorrect. I know personally a couple who were issued a ticket - $250.00 for towing with a vehicle that by door stickers and trailer stickers a mismatch. The ticket held up in court and they had to pay the fine and were ordered by the judge "don't tow that trailer again with that vehicle again". The stickers are not recommendations, they are in fact the maximum legal limits of the two vehicle and trailer. If not why put the stickers on, why put the same type of stickers on Tractor Trailers? It was a local cop who stopped them for a burned out tail light and then checked the door stickers. He did not give them a ticket for the tail light but did for having too small a tow vehicle. It was in PA, right outside of Altoona in a town called Cresent Ridge. The couple are good friends of ours, not Airstream towers. So set up anything you want, tow with anything you want, but on this Andy your not correct, at least in this case.

But, again I agree that is the least of their worries.

paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:31 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Deleted.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:23 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaDogMom View Post
Google YouTube Ike Gauntlet Fast Lane Truck 2015 Canyon Towing Test. They take the V-6 GMC Canyon up to the Eisenhower Tunnel in Colorado towing about 5,600 pounds and discuss the pros, cons and limits of towing with the GMC Canyon. Very informative and I think it will answer a lot of your questions. I would post a link but since the last updat my iPad is being bratty.
Thanks for the YouTube link. Very informative. Over the weekend we reconsidered towing a 25FB with the Colorado, and the video helped to confirm that decision. We're in the process of trading up to a Silverado that has a tow rating of 9400#, so that's an additional 2400#, and we'll also be moving from a V6 to a V8. I think the Silverado will do the job, and we'll feel a lot safer once we get out of the FL flatlands.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:14 PM   #33
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Wise decision, SeaLevel!

Especially when you leave sea level and visit our beautiful western mountains in your new rig.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:41 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' International
Quartz Hill , California
Happy to Help

I'm glad the video was helpful. I'm in the process of considering tow vehicles as well and the video was exactly what I was looking for to answer some questions I have about the new mid-sized trucks. I love all of their Ike Gauntlet videos because I spend a lot of time in the Sierra Nevada mountains and the Rockies give me an idea of what to expect from a tow vehicle when it faces challenging elevations and steep grades. When you buy your Airstream, make a trip out west. We have spectacular scenery in California, Colorado, Montana, Arizona and New Mexico.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:53 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaDogMom View Post
When you buy your Airstream, make a trip out west. We have spectacular scenery in California, Colorado, Montana, Arizona and New Mexico.
We are in the process of making the Airstream purchase now, and will be driving to pick it up soon. We aren't retired yet, so our plan is to do shorter Florida or Midwest trips as we become used to Airstreaming over the next year or two. We've lived in both California and Colorado in the past, and vacationed there, but seeing and experiencing the country this way will be a completely different experience that we are excited to begin.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:43 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
You are in for some great adventures! Slow and easy, take your time.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:48 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
While I agree legal issues are not the major concern, safety is, you are incorrect. I know personally a couple who were issued a ticket - $250.00 for towing with a vehicle that by door stickers and trailer stickers a mismatch. The ticket held up in court and they had to pay the fine and were ordered by the judge "don't tow that trailer again with that vehicle again". The stickers are not recommendations, they are in fact the maximum legal limits of the two vehicle and trailer. If not why put the stickers on, why put the same type of stickers on Tractor Trailers? It was a local cop who stopped them for a burned out tail light and then checked the door stickers. He did not give them a ticket for the tail light but did for having too small a tow vehicle. It was in PA, right outside of Altoona in a town called Cresent Ridge. The couple are good friends of ours, not Airstream towers. So set up anything you want, tow with anything you want, but on this Andy your not correct, at least in this case.

I got curious about the legality and the legality of the ticket I saw a couple of years ago issued to a friend by a local cop as outlined previously and as stated by Andy I was wrong and felt maybe I was wrong and the local cop was wrong. So, a friend of ours is a Pennsylvania State Judge and I asked him the question on tow vehicle door stickers and trailer weight stickers. His reply was to tow with a vehicle where the door sticker specifically states Maximum Gross Combined Weight and where the tow vehicle and the trailer exceed that weight is illegal in the state of PA. Then he went on about all the safety factors special hitches etc. This sitting judge who in fact ruled on a case with an overloaded Landscape trailer being towed by GMC 1/2 ton had an accident and he issued a fine for the trailer being too heavy when combined with the "light" 1/2 ton, ie no tow package and nothing extra.

Also, as I stated above in 45 years I've always gone on the high (big) side of tow vehicles and never been sorry.

My Best

Bud
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:49 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I would also suggest going a local WBCCI unit where there is usually a fountain of Airstream specific knowledge to tap into with the new user questions. Many units have rallies over the holidays and you would be welcome to drop in and see if you like the folks and ask questions.

You might even get some useful suggestions on your proposed tow vehicle and model trailer. Plus most folks can share their experiences with their specific model which is far better than some salesman blathering on with little or no real knowledge.

We did attend our first rally visit without a trailer and determined we wanted to join that group.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:56 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
I got curious about the legality and the legality of the ticket I saw a couple of years ago issued to a friend by a local cop as outlined previously and as stated by Andy I was wrong and felt maybe I was wrong and the local cop was wrong. So, a friend of ours is a Pennsylvania State Judge and I asked him the question on tow vehicle door stickers and trailer weight stickers. His reply was to tow with a vehicle where the door sticker specifically states Maximum Gross Combined Weight and where the tow vehicle and the trailer exceed that weight is illegal in the state of PA. Then he went on about all the safety factors special hitches etc. This sitting judge who in fact ruled on a case with an overloaded Landscape trailer being towed by GMC 1/2 ton had an accident and he issued a fine for the trailer being too heavy when combined with the "light" 1/2 ton, ie no tow package and nothing extra.

Also, as I stated above in 45 years I've always gone on the high (big) side of tow vehicles and never been sorry.

My Best

Bud
Thanks for sharing this info Bud, very useful.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:12 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:

I'd be interested to see which section of the PA code the people were charged under. I had a trawl through their code and couldn't find anything relating to door stickers, although I may well have been looking in the wrong places. It it did occur to me that in order to establish actual weights, you'd have to have all the questionable vehicles weighed using properly calibrated equipment by suitably authorized personnel; was this done in this case? I don't doubt that the people concerned were fined but it would be good to highlight the written laws they were breaking. For what it's worth, my tow vehicle doesn't have a Gross Combined Weight mentioned on the sticker.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:44 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
That might be aloophole. If you tow with a car and there is no sticker, then how could you be charged.?
Old 11-26-2015, 08:38 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Towing World Site

Towing World Official Website

This site has a compilation of state laws. I don't see anything about GCVWR but I did find a web site for a law team, advertising that if you have been injured in a trailer involved accident you should call them. They go on to explain GCVWR and how it's dangerous to exceed that. It appeared to imply if you were in an accident that had a TV that was overloaded, you should contact them. At least that was my take on it.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote