Old 02-05-2017, 05:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Like some of the other guys on here, I use a 14,000lb Eq with the 1400 pound bars. From what I've read, the 1400 pound bars are the same as the 1200 pound bars, but the headshank is beefier on the 14,000lb hitch. I pull an Avion 34' triple which actually measures an inch under 36 feet and my hitch weight can get up there pretty good. The big Eq has been a good setup over many miles. That being said, Inland Andy who I consider a very wise sage once explained it thus: For a heavy tow vehicle (RAM 2500), you don't need as much weight distribution, so use lighter bars to still get the anti-sway. For a light tow vehicle ('64 Cadillac), you need more weight transfer, so use heavier bars. The folks above may be right about the Eq not working like the Dual Cam. Both are good hitches, and I've used both. I prefer the Eq because I don't like messing with the chains and all the grease. For your truck, you could probably get by with lighter bars, but it's nice to have the beefy hitch. You can machine the load bars down so that they have an hour glass shape somewhere around the middle of their length, so that you use the heavy ones that match the beefy hitch head, but are more flexible. One gent on here (name escapes me) did just that a few years back and said it worked great. I will note, the Avion is built a little beefier than the Airstream, and so I've not popped any rivets. I can't honestly tell you if my super heavy rig would pop them on a 25' or not. But with your Ram, you don't need a lot of weight distribution, but anti-sway is always good. One of these years I will pony up and get a Pro-Pride (or just make my own...we en-guh-neers always like to reinvent the wheel) or some other projection hitch. I really do like their design. But for now the Eq has served me well and I'll keep on running with it. Best of luck,

Old 02-06-2017, 12:03 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Goldenrod , Florida
This is such a great forum! After all the input, We are going with the 1000lb bars. While I had to read the post by jcanavera 4 times before it all sunk in, it really made sense. Thanks Jack! I think by going with the 1000 lb setup, I can always adjust down or have the bars milled if it proves too stiff.

lafla is offline   Reply With Quote