Old 06-01-2016, 01:31 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
There are a couple of locking systems used on ther Atwood coupler so I can't say across the board. The failure point on the Atwood 8800 is the "Shark Fin". That potential failure is a function of the load on the coupler and the roads you travel. I have a 34 ft trailer and travel a lot in Pa., the worst roads in the country as voted by the truckers association. My combination is putting a significant load on the coupler while transfer weight to the front axle of my TV. You are not operating under these conditions and thus I don't see a big problem in your case. All I would say is inspect the Shark Fin periodically. If it is wearing that wear will show on the lower front edge of the fin. Use the pin as suggested. That is what I am doing with my daughter's trailer

Every mechanical system ever invented has it's failure points. If you know them you can manage them whether it is changing the oil in your engine periodically or watching the wear on your tires.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:43 PM   #30

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Irving , Texas
I was amazed as I read about your experiences. I too have an Andersen WD hitch and have used it for several years both with a smaller trailer and now our 23' flying cloud with no performance problems whatsoever. We did have to get a larger hitch ball for the Airstream trailer and we did just replace the friction material because I found we could do so for free. Otherwise the Andersen WD Hitch has been great. It's quiet and works perfectly well for us.

One especially curious comment makes me wonder what is different about our set up compared to what you had. You said "...The urethane bushings squeezed down so bad they began to fail". I don't understand how that's possible if the bushing housings were installed at the correct distance from the ball (specified in the setup directions) and the bushing bolts were always tightened to the correct number of threads (6-7 exposed threads, I think). I couldn't help but wonder if something else is different between our two setups.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:15 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Well thanks for the info everyone I decided to order it today well see how well it works
Old 06-01-2016, 10:48 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpletKay06 View Post
I have a 2015 ram 1500 ecodiesel with full air ride. Im currently not using a wd hitch at all and it tows great front axle is 3400 but rear is axle 4400 so im a little overloaded. My trailer came with a resse wd hitch and it terrible makes the trailer ride horrible. When I first bought it and towed it home 280 miles nothing moved in the trailer and it towed great but then I setup up the wd hitch and everything moves around, it turns poorly etc. All im looking for is to lower the tongue weight a little and some sway control wouldmt hurt.
You have 1,000 lbs greater load on your rear axle than steering axle, and you are over rear axle rating by 500 lbs.
Chrysler may be sending an email advising you that you have been nearly 1,000 lbs over GVWR. You need a w.d. hitch that actually works, while taking another look at trailer and truck loading.

We use a hitch with conventional w.d. bars, our front and rear axles are within 40 lbs of each other. Our FC 25' Airstream and hitch add 820 lbs to our Ram 1500 Ecodiesel with weight distribution applied. This would not be possible with our previous Andersen hitch, the leverage is not there.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:18 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Chrylser has no idea that my truck is overloaded that's a myth that these forms have created. If they did I would have got one about a year ago.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:45 PM   #34
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , Ontario
I have just purchased a 2017 Sport 16 and my TV is a Jeep Wrangler 4dr with the factory Max Tow package. I appreciate the information in this thread and others (especially from @HowieE). I have received information from two dealers that I may not need a WD hitch as the Sport only has a 350# tongue weight, which is within the recommended limits for the Jeep. I have previously towed a T@B teardrop that has a 250# tongue weight and when towing you wouldn't even know it was there. I am hoping for the same experience with the Sport 16.
WBCCI #6497

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:19 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
I have just purchased a 2017 Sport 16 and my TV is a Jeep Wrangler 4dr with the factory Max Tow package. I appreciate the information in this thread and others (especially from @HowieE). I have received information from two dealers that I may not need a WD hitch as the Sport only has a 350# tongue weight, which is within the recommended limits for the Jeep. I have previously towed a T@B teardrop that has a 250# tongue weight and when towing you wouldn't even know it was there. I am hoping for the same experience with the Sport 16.
Unless you reinforce your hitch I dont think a wd hitch on your jeep is a great idea the hitch mounts with four bolts and clamps around the rear crossmember. Instead of mounting to both frame rails like on a truck. But it should do just fine.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:31 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
You're only a couple of hours from the best Airstream hitch experts in North America. Contact Can-Am Airstream in London, Ontario, they have set up hundreds of similar combos and will help you.

BTW, they tested the Andersen hitch and will not use it with concerns about a disconnected trailer.

http://www.canamrv.ca/contact-us/

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:22 PM   #37
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Anderson WD Hitch

There are pics on this site with a JK Wrangler towing a 34'. With a proper WD hitch.

Call Can Am.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:30 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
There are pics on this site with a JK Wrangler towing a 34'. With a proper WD hitch.

Call Can Am.
The JK wrangler is only rated to tow 3500 lbs do more research before posting that
Old 06-12-2016, 11:19 AM   #39
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Anderson WD Hitch

Do you know the axle/tire ratings? I'm old enough that there was once no such thing as a tow rating. Or, how things were once done is different than now. What is at present "current" is not an improvement.

Or the truth.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote