Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
HowieE's Avatar
 
1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,814
Images: 12
Spletkay06

You did not mention your TV. I say this because if you are towing with a a very lightly sprung rear axle vehicle you may not be able to transfer enough weight to the front axle to return to the original steering geometry. The Andersen is clearly designed with sway as the principle consideration as most TV have changed from sedans to trucks.

As for the stated limitation of a few commentators that the Andersen is limited to light trailer I have been towing my 34 fter for 4 years now and have converted my daughters 8,000 lb trailer to an Andersen because of excessive sway she was having while towing with a Reese Straight Line system.

What is your TV?
__________________

__________________
WBCCI 12156 AIR 3144 WACHUNG TAC NJ6
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:22 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
 
1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 317
I have a 2015 ram 1500 ecodiesel with full air ride. Im currently not using a wd hitch at all and it tows great front axle is 3400 but rear is axle 4400 so im a little overloaded. My trailer came with a resse wd hitch and it terrible makes the trailer ride horrible. When I first bought it and towed it home 280 miles nothing moved in the trailer and it towed great but then I setup up the wd hitch and everything moves around, it turns poorly etc. All im looking for is to lower the tongue weight a little and some sway control wouldmt hurt.
__________________

__________________
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
HowieE's Avatar
 
1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,814
Images: 12
60 lbs is about as low as you can go.
__________________
WBCCI 12156 AIR 3144 WACHUNG TAC NJ6
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
 
1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
60 lbs is about as low as you can go.
60 lbs less tongue weight? Thats not much
__________________
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master
 
Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 995
Images: 1
The extreme issues one user has had seems to be setup related. Otherwise, how come andersen works fine for a heavier, longer 34?

Did you contact Andersen regarding the issues you were having? What did they say/advise?
__________________
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
HowieE's Avatar
 
1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,814
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
The extreme issues one user has had seems to be setup related. Otherwise, how come andersen works fine for a heavier, longer 34?

Did you contact Andersen regarding the issues you were having? What did they say/advise?
Unfortunately early on in the discussion of the Andersen system there was a concerted effort to discredit the system by some that feared the new competition. Even knowing the design intentions of the newer system, sway control over weight distribution, several tried to achieve the historically now unnecessary results of the older systems with the intent of discrediting the Andersen system. However there are very few modern TV that require the WD that older softly sprung cars required. Just do a count of those using the Andersen against those claiming it can't work and then make up your mind.

And yes there is an issue with some of the Atwood couplers failing when using the Andersen. That is not a problem with the Andersen but a design limitation of the Atwood. A type of problem often encountered when a new concept is invented.

Many had to decide what to do with their single cylinder gas engine washing machines when the electric motor came on line. The problem was not in the electric motor.
__________________
WBCCI 12156 AIR 3144 WACHUNG TAC NJ6
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:00 PM   #21
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,599
Images: 1
Hogwash.
__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 9-cpm solo, 15-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,270
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Hi, how can you blame Atwood when the Andersen hitch is the only one causing this problem????????? Clearly an Andersen problem.
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:23 AM   #23
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Thumbs up

“If your happy with what you're using......it's adequate.
If others are unhappy with what you're using......it's not.”
RLC
__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:04 AM   #24
Rivet Master
 
HowieE's Avatar
 
1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,814
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post

And yes there is an issue with some of the Atwood couplers failing when using the Andersen. That is not a problem with the Andersen but a design limitation of the Atwood. A type of problem often encountered when a new concept is invented.
If one cares to read the above statement I do not say there is a problem with the Atwood coupler I say there is a limitation. If one accepts the dynamics at the interaction of the ball and coupler the limitation would be clear.

In all bar type hitches the coupler rests on the ball. The forces associated with the WD aspects of the hitch are transferred directly to the head of the hitch, forward of the ball, and then to the TV. With the Andersen hitch, while the coupler does rest on the ball, the forces relating to the WD aspects are transferred through the ball shaft with loads on the top and bottom of the ball shaft. It is this significant design difference that results in the failures of the Atwood coupler. It was not designed for that type of load. Not is not a problem, as there was no need to consider such loads when the Atwood was designed, that is a limitation resulting from the newer design.

Think of the limitations we would be under if we insisted that all creative designs comply with all old technology. The phone company worked under such constraints all the way from the hand cranked wall phone up to the 500 type desk set. Then someone invented the cell phone and cut the wire.

That is not "hogwash" that is progress and some adjustment may be required. Or do you really want to drag a wire around behind your cell phone?

The original question asked if anyone had experience with the Andersen. I have. I think my experience may even go a bit further than most using this hitch. I did encounter several questionable aspects but rather than sit back and claim the system could not work I made changes to my Andersen and forwarded those idea to the company. They incorporated the changes. And when my Atwood failed I found a solution and applied it and posted that solution for those who might be interested.

Why not my only other course would have been to return to a system I knew was not as good as the one I was using.
__________________
WBCCI 12156 AIR 3144 WACHUNG TAC NJ6
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:46 PM   #25
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,270
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
If one cares to read the above statement I do not say there is a problem with the Atwood coupler I say there is a limitation. If one accepts the dynamics at the interaction of the ball and coupler the limitation would be clear.

In all bar type hitches the coupler rests on the ball. The forces associated with the WD aspects of the hitch are transferred directly to the head of the hitch, forward of the ball, and then to the TV. With the Andersen hitch, while the coupler does rest on the ball, the forces relating to the WD aspects are transferred through the ball shaft with loads on the top and bottom of the ball shaft. It is this significant design difference that results in the failures of the Atwood coupler. It was not designed for that type of load. Not is not a problem, as there was no need to consider such loads when the Atwood was designed, that is a limitation resulting from the newer design.

Think of the limitations we would be under if we insisted that all creative designs comply with all old technology. The phone company worked under such constraints all the way from the hand cranked wall phone up to the 500 type desk set. Then someone invented the cell phone and cut the wire.

That is not "hogwash" that is progress and some adjustment may be required. Or do you really want to drag a wire around behind your cell phone?

The original question asked if anyone had experience with the Andersen. I have. I think my experience may even go a bit further than most using this hitch. I did encounter several questionable aspects but rather than sit back and claim the system could not work I made changes to my Andersen and forwarded those idea to the company. They incorporated the changes. And when my Atwood failed I found a solution and applied it and posted that solution for those who might be interested.

Why not my only other course would have been to return to a system I knew was not as good as the one I was using.

Hi, No; You didn't say there was a problem with the Atwood coupler, you said there was an issue. And now you changed your wording to Limitation. I see that as the same thing and now you are backing out with a play on words. Next you will you use the infamous excuse that we took your words out of context!

I don't know about you, but my cell phone is connected to a cable every night; Your's must be solar powered. And when traveling, I do drag a cable around, called a charger.
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:12 AM   #26
Rivet Master
 
HowieE's Avatar
 
1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,814
Images: 12
I will stand by my original statement and trust that those who read it, without prejudice, will understand my comment.

And yes there is an issue with some of the Atwood couplers failing when using the Andersen. That is not a problem with the Andersen but a design limitation of the Atwood. A type of problem often encountered when a new concept is invented.


__________________
WBCCI 12156 AIR 3144 WACHUNG TAC NJ6
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:51 AM   #27
retired USA/USAF

 
2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,157
I'm dusting off the boxing gloves. End Round 1
__________________
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member
 
kd7trx's Avatar
 
2007 19' Bambi
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 74
Anderson WD Hitch

HowieE - I recently went from a Reese Dual Cam to the Andersen for our 19' Bambi, now towing with a new diesel Canyon.
When researching a new wd system, I talked with a fellow at Andersen to inquire about their note about certain Atwood couplers. He said there is not a problem if a close tolerance pin is used on the lock-down lever, so did that. We just returned from our first long distance tow, and am very happy with the hitch's performance.
Curious what you suggest, if I should consider any other changes to improve the ball to coupler connection? I don't want to spend a day searching your posts to find the one you refer to above.
Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
__________________

__________________
kd7trx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anderson Hitch and Atwood Coupler Siegmann Hitches, Couplers & Balls 11 11-27-2016 12:28 PM
Used Anderson WD Hitch Secguru Airstream Classifieds 0 10-02-2014 10:58 AM
Anderson hitch coupler issue...... catsmith Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 7 09-26-2014 09:01 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.