Old 02-14-2015, 09:33 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
SafariBez/Twinkie, I may be missing something, but in the picture it does not appear the chain could prevent the coupler latch from rising.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:15 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The chain does not keep the coupler from coming unlatched it keeps the coupler from rising high enough off of the ball to become unhitched if the latch fails.
In order for the coupler to rise high enough to unhitch it has to rise over 3"s.. The chain will prevent the coupler from rising far enough to disengage the ball.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums

Old 02-15-2015, 12:25 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Twinkie, maybe it's how the photo is being displayed on my screen, but the chain does not appear to be over the coupler, and would not prevent it from rising. What am I missing?
Old 02-15-2015, 01:07 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I don't know what you are looking at. The coupler is the part that connects to the ball when hitched. The picture I posted and that I see on my iPod clearly shows the chain leaving the eye bolt on the triangular plate going vertically thru a loop on the side of the tongue. Then over the top of the coupler to the other side.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
Old 02-15-2015, 02:13 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegmann View Post
So it looks like you have bolted to the triangle plate with your chain, so the ball could still release from the coupler if it were to fail, but then be caught from falling to the ground by the triangle plate?
Twinkie, OK, I think I originally described the same thing as you, but just in a different way. I was describing it in the manner that the original Atwood coupler/latch mechanism works. In that you are not stopping the latch from rising up and releasing the ball, you are just stopping the ball from falling far enough to come out of the coupler.

SafariBez, likewise I got confused by your phrase "prevent the coupler from rising", thinking that you meant "the coupler latch from rising". My bias was to be thinking of it as that if the coupler latch releases, then the "ball drops". I was not thinking of it as the "coupler rising". All this assumes that you drilled a hole in the triangle plate and installed an eye bolt, like Twinkie.

If what I've said is correct, then all is well.

Oh, one last question, are you both using the 8" drop/rise bracket?