Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #1
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Alternative to Suburban??

OK, the last 48 hours have been interesting.
Given: 2015 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4 with 9K miles.
2013 Intl. 19' Airstream

Now, I've had Chevy products before and never had luck with them. So, it has been at least 20 years since I would buy one.

Good friend of mine is the GM at a Lexus dealership - he called me about 1 year ago and said he had just taken in a 2015 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4 with only 5K miles on it. I could buy it cheap. I did.

Issue: I am already experience problems with the truck. Last night I went out to join several friends from dinner. Got there and put the truck into reverse to back into a parking place. 1/2 way back, the camera screen went completely black/blank and all of the dash gauges went black!! I carefully finished backing up. Turned off there truck ignition, then started it - started up instantly so not a battery issue. BUT NO camera, dash gauges lite and no headlights working.

I went in and ate dinner.
Came out, everything worked!!

Rather then joining my friends at the Blues Club I drove home before dark.

Now, I am totally disgusted after spending all day trying to get any response from GMC/Chevy dealer!! Just like it was 20 years ago!!

I was going to trade the Sierra truck for a Suburban but I'm now disgusted.

Only choices seems to be:
Toyota Sequoia AWD - wheel base is actually 3" longer than the truck BUT the fuel MPG ratings are terrible!! But they are far more reliable than any GM/Chevy product I've ever owned.

Ford Expedition EL 4x4.

I'm interested in feedback.
I was going with the Suburban because I like to fish with 7' and 7.5' poles and I could lay those down in the back of the Suburban. Now, forget the poles - I'll go by two piece and get a vehicle where I can trust it will start and light the highway after dark.

Tonight I must go to a meeting in Raleigh that will start at 6PM and not end until 9PM. I do not know for sure that I will have lights to drive home after the lecture!!

Not a good way to live in my book.
Tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
I'm rather partial to the Expedition. Have 237000 on my current expedition, when I bought it new 16 years ago, it was taking the place of my 1992 bronco with 278000 on it. My youngest got his license today and took off in the bronco now with 286000 on it. I would still get in either for a cross country trip without hesitation. You can get a lemon in any make but gm does seem to be a orchard.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:47 PM   #3
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
" You can get a lemon in any make but gm does seem to be a orchard."

That is GREAT! Yes, I learned it when I had their Tahoe decades ago. It developed a very loud and annoying "clanking" sound every time you let off on the gas. I bitched and bitched - dealer could never fix it. Then I got a letter from GM saying that loud bank was part of their design and they would no longer consider it a defect. Thus, until this truck I would not go near them.

Thanks for giving me that comment - gave me a good laugh because it is SO true!
Old 09-07-2016, 01:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
I'm pretty sure the pro Chevy crowd won't find it as amusing, but I was never amused sitting on the side of the road in a gm product either. While my ford's have had issues over the years, none have left me stranded.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
It may be that, with such a young truck, the previous owner had an electrical issue and dumped it rather than fix it.

I once had a new truck that on occasion, during highway-speeds, the dash instruments would "flash-and-fail" and the engine would shut-down...then restart and run fine for another week.

The dealer finally gave me a loaner for a week while his GM used it for a personal driver that week...and VOILA!... he witnessed what the technicians could not confirm. (They can't fix what works. It must fail before they can fix it.) It turned out to be a large wiring harness which had shorted where it entered the cab from the engine compartment had been compromised during construction. A new harnesss fixed it, and no further problems.

Insist that the Chevy folks repair it under warranty. (You might also talk to your "friend" at the dealership where you acquired it and find the previous owner to confirm the issue should be warranted.)

Keep us posted.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #6
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Yes, I will be worrying all the time I am in this 3 hour lecture tonight about will I have lights to drive home OR will I be faced with a $300 towing bill to haul it home from Raleigh to Chapel Hill!

Not a fun feeling!
Old 09-07-2016, 02:30 PM   #7
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I just did a real quick look at 2016 GMC Sierra in Mitchell and found TSB PL1375C BLANK SCREEN , camera blank and a bunch more in the title.

Suggest getting dealer to roll up sleeves and search for factory tsb's that might apply. The above looks mostly like reprogramming modules.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao View Post
2013 Intl. 19' Airstream

Now, I've had Chevy products before and never had luck with them. So, it has been at least 20 years since I would buy one.

Good friend of mine is the GM at a Lexus dealership - he called me about 1 year ago and said he had just taken in a 2015 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4 with only 5K miles on it. I could buy it cheap. I did.

Issue: I am already experience problems with the truck. Last night I went out to join several friends from dinner. Got there and put the truck into reverse to back into a parking place. 1/2 way back, the camera screen went completely black/blank and all of the dash gauges went black!! I carefully finished backing up. Turned off there truck ignition, then started it - started up instantly so not a battery issue. BUT NO camera, dash gauges lite and no headlights working.

Now, I am totally disgusted after spending all day trying to get any response from GMC/Chevy dealer!! Just like it was 20 years ago!!

Toyota Sequoia AWD - wheel base is actually 3" longer than the truck BUT the fuel MPG ratings are terrible!! But they are far more reliable than any GM/Chevy product I've ever owned.

Ford Expedition EL 4x4.

I was going with the Suburban because I like to fish with 7' and 7.5' poles and I could lay those down in the back of the Suburban. Now, forget the poles - I'll go by two piece and get a vehicle where I can trust it will start and light the highway after dark.

Tonight I must go to a meeting in Raleigh that will start at 6PM and not end until 9PM. I do not know for sure that I will have lights to drive home after the lecture!!

As noted above, it could be something as simple as a BCM, (Body Control Module), re-boot or software upgrade.

Good Luck!!....do whatever floats your boat.

Disclaimer....we love the Burb.

Bob
Old 09-07-2016, 04:29 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Lancaster , Pennsylvania
MY TV is a 2006 Ford Expedition with a 5.4L motor that pulls like a mule. I beefed up the suspension with 4 Rancho quicklift adjustable struts and now it's looking stout when hooked up to my AS. I love my Expy! Just saying...
Ratta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao View Post
2013 Intl. 19' Airstream

Ford Expedition EL 4x4.

Traded in at 5k miles? Sure it wasn't in a flood or something?

I had a flaky dash light issue on mine, but I put in a replacement cluster and it fixed the issue. Cost me a couple hundred dollars and took 1/2 hour to swap out. My truck had 315,000 miles when sold, still running as far as I know.

I've had all the brands except no Ram yet. They all have issues. Maintenance is key. For example, a flaky fuel pump will give you hard starts for awhile before it leaves you stranded.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Any Chevy dealer can give you the history of your Sierra, just give a service advisor your VIN.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:19 AM   #12
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Any Chevy dealer can give you the history of your Sierra, just give a service advisor your VIN.
Decision made: Saturday went to library - Consumer Reports Annual Issue - Car Reliability. Looked up the candidates. Suburban among the worst categories so that close the door on another Chevy product.

Best that I felt would do the job: Ford F150 Crew Cab.
Drove to Ford dealer, bought a new 2016 XLT and have been enjoying it.
I've had many Fords in my life, and two Chevys. Never had a problem with the Fords, both Chevy's were lemons in my mind.

I'm happy!

So, instead of carrying my 7.5' fishing poles, I buy a couple of two piece for travel.

Thanks to all for input! See you on the trails.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Once one loses confidence in a tv, it's hard to justify keeping it, no matter what vehicle it is. You did the right thing. Might have been a minor fix, or not, but you would have worried about it forever. Good job.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:31 AM   #14
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Once one loses confidence in a tv, it's hard to justify keeping it, no matter what vehicle it is. You did the right thing. Might have been a minor fix, or not, but you would have worried about it forever. Good job.
What you said is so true, in tv's or people.

When GMC said it was a "glitch" and they had no error codes to prove it, I said forget it. I could see myself going up or down a mountain pass and all of the electronics failing again.

Their comment was to not turn it off and drive to a GMC dealer - yeah, sensitive to the consumer.

At least with a brand new Ford, I'm not inheriting what may have been someone else problems. Just seemed strange that a GMC SLT 4X4 2015 would be traded in with only 5K miles on it.

Besides, I think the new Ford is better looking! :-)
Old 09-14-2016, 07:31 AM   #15
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Just remember to trade your Ford in five years.........

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...blic-1.3746577

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:58 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
I have a 2003 Tahoe. 237,000 miles on it. Runs great never gave me a bit of trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:22 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
Electronic bits go crazy sometime. Should be a warranty issue. I have the same year and model truck--flawless for 45,000 miles, most of them pulling my FC 27.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:00 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
You think your car or truck is just and inanimate object. Not so! It knows that you do not like GM products and it wants a new home. Remember, do not drop something in that aluminum foil bed or forget and back up with the tailgate ladder down. To get a new ladder requires a new tailgate. Ouch!
I have owned numerous Fords and Chevys over the years and they have all been good vehicles. Just don't offend them.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote