Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Full-Timer , South Dakota
Alternative to Can-Am?

Appreciating that Can-Am is recognized on this forum as being truly one of, if not the best resource for hitch set-up, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend an alternative?

I live near San Francisco and the drive to Can-Am - approximately 2500 miles is not insignificant. Before I commit to that far of a drive, I'd at least like to understand if anyone has had positive experience elsewhere, or knows of reputable hitch dealers with knowledge and experience comparable to Andy/Can-Am.

Without starting a tow vehicle debate ... I'm purchasing a '12 Toureg2 (TDI) and am interested in towing either a 25' or 27' FB. I've concluded that hitch reinforcement is a must to ensure added safety within the TV decision itself.

Certainly, many rave about Andy and his team at Can-Am, but the prospect of driving such distance is killing me. That said, I would do it if no viable alternative is readily available to me.

I would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks. _dave
burnsdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Andy wrote a series of articles for Airstream Life magazine that pretty much covered the entire subject. A cheap investment would be to buy those back issues, read same, order what you decide you need and install/rig yourself.

Just a thought

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard....

Dave,

Are you planning on using a Hensley or 3p?

A trip to Can-AM without the trailer to get a hitch installed?...or a white knuckle tow with the new Airstream?

I would give Andy a call, see if the hardware is available with the applicable instructions and ask for his recommendation on an installer in your area.

Or consider a TV that won't require the mod's.

Bob
Old 05-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
To steer away from the tow vehicle debate, I wonder if the new Touareg needs the reinforcement? 770 lb tongue weight rating without weight distribution, isn't it? Has Andrew at CanAm set up this way, or others here towing stock?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
When we were setting up our trailer and tow vehicle all of the advice on this forum reccommended Can-Am. I live near Seattle and I remember how dissapointed I was that the only trusted authority was 2500 miles away. Our set-up at the time was marginal.
Well, I e-mailed Can-Am, expecting the usual....Well here's what happened.
The next day I got a call from Andy. He knew I wasn't going to make the trip to use his service yet he graciously spent enough time on the phone with me to answer all of my questions, sometimes more than once.

When I got off the phone I was armed with enough information to make some educated choices about the products I needed to make my towing safe and enjoyable. Thats service I will never forget. That contact developed into others on this forum that taught me more. Thats why I'm still here.

So even though Can-Am is located on the East Coast their service is national. I think with them it's the culture of what they do that motivates them to excel.

Having said all that I have to mention that I've also spoken with Andy at Inland RV in LA. He was also gracious with his time and I think he is also someone who has decades of valuable hitching experience.Go see him. You'll get a nice trip down 101.

There are lots of opinions posted on this forum about the techniques and advice these two guys give. Some people love em and some people don't. What you will get from them is advice based on enthusiam, experience and good will.

Just like what mainly happens on this forum.

Dan
Old 05-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
As Danlehosky says, even though you won't be buying from Can Am, Andy will probably be able to put you in contact with someone local who can advise and help. His service is actually international as he's in Canada.

Good luck; I'm sure you'll get things sorted out the way you want them.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
If you could get one of the Touareg 3G owners who have had the modification done by CanAm to post some pics here, you could probably replicate the hitch support at any good hitch/welding shop. Or ask Andy if he has any pics of his installations.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Here are pics of the CanAm VW Jetta hitch modification.
Anyone have pics of the CanAm hitch reinforcement? - Club Touareg Forums

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Andy wrote a series of articles for Airstream Life magazine that pretty much covered the entire subject. A cheap investment would be to buy those back issues, read same, order what you decide you need and install/rig yourself.

Just a thought

mike
Good thought at that Mike. I subscribed to Airstream Life mainly because of Andy's columns. Then again...I've been accused of being one of Andy's "cult" members.

What can I say?

Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Identify the the two vehicles, TV & TT, and obtain the plans via the offer of a reasonable consultation/design fee to CAN-AM RV would be my thinking. I'd include a VPP hitch and TT disc brakes in my plans. (And phbarnhart is putting together a rig -- over several threads -- that may be of interest to you . . not the size/type specifically, but the quality of the pieces generally and their set-up. Good "how to", IOW).

To the OP: You've started several threads, but don't respond to those who would be of help? A couple in their 30s/40s wanting to telecommute via A/S fulltiming is a subject of interest to many (I'd wager) . . . . where'd you go?

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Thanks everyone for the good ideas and suggestions. I had not thought about contacting Andy directly - offering to pay for his time & advice in lieu of a trip to his shop. I've reached out and will report back what I ultimately decide.

In the meantime, I'm headed to Arizona tomorrow ... coincidentally enough, the newly opened Airstream Los Angeles is just about the halfway point. My wife and I will be stopping there to check things out and see if this might be a dealer we want to purchase from. Cant wait...
Old 05-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Good luck with your drive down to Calif. Coincidentally we were at the new Airstream of Los Angeles yesterday and bought a 2012 20 foot Flying Cloud. Great deal, see Ken Baker. No sales pressure at all and fair. Good luck
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Don't Rule Out Buying From CanAm

Even though you live on the West Coast, consider doing as I did. I live in Houston and through MANY telecons with Andy I eventually purchased my 2002 ASCL 31 foot from CanAm. We visited several area AS dealers which couldn't give us all of the information we needed, BUT did see the various AS models which allowed us to decide which one was most desireable.

I then ordered our AS through CanAm, drove from Houston, TX, to London, Ontario, Canada, (visiting relatives on the way) to take delivery. From CanAm we then vacationed West across Northern America to Glacier Natl. Park, then South to Nevada and then East back to Houston, TX.

So, if you include a vacation into your purchase it could all work out and you will be secure in what you will get.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

@Subfan1 - glad to hear that you had a possitive purchase experience. I agree with your assessment on Ken - he was easy to chat with and did not come across as overly pushy. All he asked was that before I buy, I please give him an opportunity to be in the mix - a request I certainly feel is fair.

BTW - congrats on the new purchase. Funny thing - I think I may have seen you there Yesterday. While I was chatting with Ken, he mentioned to me "that couple over the just bought a 20ft Flying Cloud", pointing to a couple.

The 20FB is a great floor plan - enjoy!
Old 05-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #15
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
withidl,

Interesting, first time I hear of a sale going in that direction.

What did you do about plates? Did you get Ontario ones, then change them once you got home?
Old 05-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsdl View Post
@Subfan1 - glad to hear that you had a possitive purchase experience. I agree with your assessment on Ken - he was easy to chat with and did not come across as overly pushy. All he asked was that before I buy, I please give him an opportunity to be in the mix - a request I certainly feel is fair.

BTW - congrats on the new purchase. Funny thing - I think I may have seen you there Yesterday. While I was chatting with Ken, he mentioned to me "that couple over the just bought a 20ft Flying Cloud", pointing to a couple.

The 20FB is a great floor plan - enjoy!
Thats funny burnsdl, I think I might have seen you as well. T-shirt and Shorts?
We are picking her up tommorow, can't wait.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
withidl,

Interesting, first time I hear of a sale going in that direction.

What did you do about plates? Did you get Ontario ones, then change them once you got home?
I drove the entire trip on the temporary dealer tag, then when we got back to Houston, Texas, I registered the AS for a Texas tag.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Dave - I live in Palo Alto and recently had the hitch reinforced on my Mercedes GL 350 - I had multiple people refer me to a shop called A&B Trailer Hitch in Redwood City - it had very positive reviews on Yelp and I had a great experience with them too. I brought in pictures of the standard reinforcement that other guys are having done on the GL, and Robert the owner was easy to work with and honest. The work was done on time and came in at $320 for four hours of labor, which is less than I thought it would cost - they had to remove my bumper to do the welding.
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Thanks ddruker - I wasn't aware of this place. Glad to hear that you had a positive experience ... nice to know there is a quality and reputable hitch pro so close to home.