Old 08-10-2015, 10:04 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
It's a common misconception that longer wheelbases are more stable. Its actually the ratio of rear overhang to the wheelbase that drives stability. And the Tahoe and Suburban have almost identical ratios.

We have over 10k miles towing a 26' Streamline with a 2004 Tahoe. We use a Reese WD hitch with 750 lb bars and only one sway control. We have good weight transfer and no sway issues.

But our trailer is only about 5500 lbs with an 800 lb tongue weight.

We put almost everything in the trailer to minimize the load on the truck. Only a cooler, strollers,, books go in the truck.

With the right WD hitch properly set up you should be fine.

Ian Lomax
1966 Streamline Countess 26'
JeweloJalopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:42 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Tappahannock , Virginia
We have a '13 Tahoe LTZ with a lightly loaded FC 25 and with tow-mode switched on every incline we come to she slows right down and drops down to 4th or worst 3rd gear. The rear axle ratio is 3.08 which I think is the issue. Am I right in thinking my Tahoe is out of its league or is there something else I should be looking at?

RivaHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:45 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Tappahannock , Virginia
That's very interesting... so keep the TV as light as possible and move as much weight to the Airstream ? As a newbie I assumed exactly the reverse!!!
Tahoe LTZ / FC 25
RivaHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:17 AM   #18

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Originally Posted by davidbroad View Post
We have a '13 Tahoe LTZ with a lightly loaded FC 25 and with tow-mode switched on every incline we come to she slows right down and drops down to 4th or worst 3rd gear. The rear axle ratio is 3.08 which I think is the issue. Am I right in thinking my Tahoe is out of its league or is there something else I should be looking at?

Hi it sounds like with the 3:08 ratio that your Tahoe did not come equipped with the tow package? The tow package comes with a 6 spd auto and 3:42 gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:42 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
1997 30' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
I am not an expert on these things; only reporting my experience. Also a 30 foot excella with 8500 dry gw is a lot more load than you are carrying. But if one is going to err, go with more hauling capacity. I would hope AS has some guide but do not know where to find such. But please for safety sake check the specks and stay within them. And keep the speed down. I set my cruse control at 55 and let the world go by me at 80!
Devananda-E9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:15 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member
2016 28' Flying Cloud
Glen Rose , Texas
I am a newby to this and did the research on my 2014 GMC 1500 with all the towing options. We just bought a 2016 Flying Cloud 28 and made it from Fort Worth to home with no problems. I was a bit apprehensive but am still looking for someone experienced in the half ton tow vehicle category. The weight is 6100 dry and the GM bulletin shows that it is OK. Hope it works OK since budget went to the Airstream!
SDP 28 FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:54 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
If you want some numerics to back up a decision, regret a decision, (or to help you make one), take a look at this post. I used the spreadsheets to get a real idea of towing capacity. It depends a lot more on vertical vehicle loading than it does on pulling power.
WBCCI 1489 AIR 20708
2015 Chevy 3/4 ton 4 x 4 gas; 2007 Safari FB SE
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:08 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Assuming you got at least the 5.3 V-8, the FC 28 is within your towing spec. The bigger question is the truck's payload. That will be listed Ina yellow and red sticker on the driver's side door frame. For the typical Silverado crew cab pickup, that will be in the vicinity of 1500 lbs. unless you have the hard-to-find max trailer tow package, in which case it will be over 1900 lbs. If you have a "LT" model without a sunroof, it will be a bit more. If memory serves, Airstream says an FC 28 has a nominal tongue weight of 800 lbs. with full propane bottles, batteries. People on this forum report somewhat higher--around 1000 lbs. based on scale readings. So your truck is carrying that tongue weight plus the weight of all the people, dogs and stuff inside the vehicle. As you can see, you're pretty close to the limit. I spent the better part of a year shopping for a TV after I had bought an FC 27. I finally ended up with a '15 Sierra with the 6.2 engine and the max trailer tow package. This package has a different rear axle and a beefier rear suspension than standard and works well (although I have not tackled the Rocky Mountains yet).
I would suggest you invest in a good weight distributing hitch. This, when properly set up, will shift several 100s of pounds of tongue weight off of the truck and back to the trailer. The ProPride (and similar HENSLEY) also have anti-sway geometry (not just friction) that, in my own experience, is 100% effective at eliminating sway, even when you're passed by a semi in the adjacent lane going 10 mph faster. These hitches are more expensive than most, are not as easy to connect to and turn a little differently--so they have their drawbacks. But given that you are probably loading your truck at 100% of rated cargo, or more, it would be nice to avoid the sway problem, which can lead to a loss of control.
If your travels are limited to Texas and other plains states, I'm sure your drivetrain will be fine, so long as you observe the 60 mph speed limit imposed by the Goodyear Marathons on your trailer. If the Rockies are in your travel plans, you might have a look at added cooling for the engine, transmission and lube oil.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #23
2016 28' International
Kerrville , Texas
The rest of the story: we bought a Tahoe with the big engine and all available towing features and the Airstream 28 International Serenity. We have been on several trips in the 75-100 mile each way range and are happy with everything. Our Equalizer 4 weight distributing hitch is doing its thing and sway has never been a problem. With our integrated brake control gain properly set, the brakes work so that it feels quite comfortable. At this point, we are happy with our power and acceleration. Traveling around Texas, we think our TV and trailer are a reasonable match.

ELSheffer is offline   Reply With Quote