Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2016, 03:22 PM   #113
1 Rivet Member
2017 19' International
Hayden , Idaho
Thank you for the education. Both my car rear tire and driver side trailer tire were flat after accident. I visually checked my tires before departing that morning about 20-30 minutes prior to accident. I don't think my vehicle caused the accident. However it is easier to roll. The vehicle rolled because of the trailer sway which I'm assuming was a result of "dirty air" and speed. I was not aware that there was a maximum tire speed. I was warned to make sure tire pressure was 65 and if I ever ran them at 50 or less it was considered flat and that is ruin the tire. So thank you for educating me. Anything helps.

Old 09-17-2016, 03:22 PM   #114
4 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Mandy was kind enough to offer her perspective on the accident to our group. I don't feel that she should be put on trial here, or should have to defend herself against everyone's opinion. For goodness sake, she has just suffered a traumatic event. I'm sure that most of us can learn from this.

Don and Lou----Don posting
'06 Safari 25 LS
'97 Chevy Suburban K2500 Diesel
TN, Greenest State in the Land of the Free
" America is not a place;it is a road." Mark Twain
Old 09-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #115
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Originally Posted by Tn Traveler View Post
Mandy was kind enough to offer her perspective on the accident to our group. I don't feel that she should be put on trial here, or should have to defend herself against everyone's opinion. For goodness sake, she has just suffered a traumatic event. I'm sure that most of us can learn from this.
X2. Thank you for posting what should be obvious to everyone else.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
Old 09-17-2016, 03:35 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
x3 thank you Don.

And thank you Mandy for the added details.

Old 09-17-2016, 03:37 PM   #117
1 Rivet Member
2017 19' International
Hayden , Idaho
Originally Posted by Tn Traveler View Post
Thank you.
I just wanted to answer the questions I saw posted. I came across this forum as I was researching the causes of my accident. I think I've found my answers.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:00 PM   #118
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It's good that you learned from this very expensive accident.
Hopefully you won't be discouraged, but will get another Airstream and tow vehicle.
I'm not sure or I'm not convinced that there was anything wrong with the rig at all, but also not sure you want an identical setup after the accident.
The Airstream/travel trailer/RV/camping lifestyle is a good one.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
Old 09-17-2016, 04:43 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Mandy thank you for posting very thorough and honest responses with such grace. So glad you are both okay.

You might do well to have a conversation with Andrew at CanAm.

Andrew thank you for very informative post also.

We've all learned from this.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:47 PM   #120
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Glad to hear you and your daughter are okay, Mandy, and welcome to AirForums.

Most of us have learned some hard lessons as we have traveled, and most of the folks here are very kind, supportive, and extremely helpful...keeping negative judgments off this board.

So ignore any unkind words, appreciate the help you will get, learn from your mistakes, and try again when you're ready.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Old 09-17-2016, 05:03 PM   #121
Avion Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
First, I am sooooooo glad that you and your daughter are OK..... "stuff" can be replaced.

Second, thank you for the honest input you've been able to provide.

Third, I really DO hope you get back into camping/traveling with another tow vehicle and trailer. Is your daughter still up for it?

Fourth, and I mean this with NO negativity or bashing......... slow down and enjoy the trip.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:18 PM   #122
4 Rivet Member
1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Hello Mandy, thank you for posting and I hope you stick with Airstreaming and the forum! Glad you and daughter came through this catastrophe so well and I hope your insurance covers your losses. Sometimes bad things just happen and I'd say your TV performed very well by protecting you two from major injury. If you were happy with your rig there is no reason not to replace it with an identical setup but maybe check the loading at a scale to make sure you have the right proportion of tongue weight. I'm sure in my mind that the accident was caused by a combination of speed and air turbulence! I'd bet that the accident report concludes the cause was driving too fast for conditions. Now you know and can avoid those conditions in the future. I set my cruise control at 60 to 62 MPH when towing even though my rig feels OK at 80 because when when it comes down to where the rubber meets the road you are skating on very small patches of rubber that has sizeable gaps in the surface area touching the road called tread! Due to the laws of physics every 5 MPH increase in speed will allow you to skate substantially farther once your tires lose grip for any reason. Also all the flex in suspension and tire sidewalls combine with increased inertia to cause increased unknowns as speed goes up. And then there is always that bastard Murphy with his stupid law! Sure, everything feels great at 80, until it's not! I'd be really interested to see some road testing of the fancy hitches when making harsh sudden maneuvers at high speed to see if they are really any better than just a plain ball! Anybody got any videos? If I was Mandy I'd hang a photo of the wreck in my new Airstream as it is a great campfire story! It could have been a terrible tragedy instead! If you never get out of bed there is a better chance of not having anything go wrong with your day but how much fun would that be? I wish I had some worthwhile advice for Mandy to deal with the PTSD! All I can think of is a couple of Martinis while a purring kitten sits on your lap?
Old 09-17-2016, 06:09 PM   #123
4 Rivet Member
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Thanks Mandy for posting and really glad you are both okay. We also tow our AS with a 2007 GX470/ Equalizer hitch and it tows and handles great. Lots of opinions but rest assured it is an acceptable TV. I do however drive around 60 mph in the right hand lane and make sure that I am never in a hurry to get anywhere.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #124
3 Rivet Member
2016 22' Sport
Clinton , Montana
Thank you Mandy!

Hi that name.....I wanted to thank you for putting and "end" to all the "speculation" about your most unfortunate accident. Thank God that you and your daughter came thru it for the most part physically ok....although I'm sure there will be some time before the emotional aspects have eased your mind.

I live in the mountains east of Missoula and travel I 90 just about every day. As I'm sure you are aware living in a tourist destination results in a lot of "seasonal traffic". Thankfully, some of that is showing signs of slowing down although we still have a lot of folks towing trailers of all makes and sizes.

There are a number of reasons that I am "thankful" for your imput.

Next week my wife and I, who care for two of our grandchildren, will be making our first long distance trek in our 22' Sport headed for West Virginia. One of the two will be traveling with us...the youngest...age two. Your accident weighed heavy on my mind as to what might have happened. Your report..of what did occur and how gives all of us towing trailers a lot of insight as to "what we can, can't, should or shouldn't be doing when we are towing our trailers.

My second point perhaps is even more important than the first. You and your daughter "lived through a roll over" while traveling really fast and wtih a trailer hanging off the back of your car. Praise God for that!

The 25 mile section of I 90 that I mentioned above is mostly straight with a few sweeping curves. It's a beautiful drive but a "deadly one".

The speed limit on this section is 80 mph but drops to 75 once you approach Missoula. I don't understand it but "all of the fatal accidents in the past year have been on the straight sections of the highway. Most of them are "roll overs" and most of the fatalities come from people "not wearing a seat belt and being ejected from the vehicle". Just last week there were two such accidents within a twenty-four hour period that resulted in three deaths...again "all ejections" two of which were small children. Oddly enough these accidents occurred at the same mile marker! A straight portion of highway...single vehicle involved.

It is heartbreaking to come upon such an accident and see a "child carrier" lying in the median of the highway....later to find out it was "blown thru" a window by "exploding air bags".

We've only had our trailer since March although we have spent a lot of time in it. Your honest assessment of what happened, passing the trucks, turbulent air, speed, etc. really settled my heart as we've never traveled anywhere near what you were traveling and haven't passed many trucks either. Thank you sincerely!

Like many others have stated I "do hope" you replace your trailer and get back out there.

God Love You Both!

PS. if I may add an addendum for the rest of you folks reading this...."please wear your seatbelts! I've lived in Montana for nearly four years now and there's been "too many highway deaths". The most common cause..."death by ejection during a "roll over". "airstream family"...please make it a point to "buckle up". If you don't and have the misfortune to roll your vehicle you will "most certainly die or will live in a 'vegetative state' for the remainder of your lives".
Old 09-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #125
3 Rivet Member
2006 19' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Mandy, thank you for sharing information about your accident, and we are so happy to learn the your physical injuries were minor.

Your situation reminds all of us the "stuff" can happen at no fault to anyone.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:31 AM   #126
Rivet Slave
2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Yes indeed, anything can happen at any time. Again, so thankful you guys are safe.

The one time we've had any trailer wobble was when a double-trailer log truck was just ahead of us, one lane to the left. We had a clear lane on the right, and had decided to hang back a bit so he could get into the right lane if he wanted to (we could always pass him later if needed).

Suddenly, I felt the oddest wobble coming from our trailer. Not super dramatic but quite noticeable since she normally tows so straight and true. When I looked in the side view mirror, I could even see it - very slight, but definitely there. I grabbed the trailer brakes to steady the rig, slowed down and got off the highway to see whether something had changed with our setup. Everything was fine - tires good, hitch properly set, everything in place.

We've never felt it before or since - we get passed by trucks all the time, and she's never been anything but straight and true, but this one time some collection of factors all came together on a clear sunny day with no real crosswinds. Maybe it was the dirty air coming off the log truck in combination with that section of road and a sudden rogue gust of wind. Who knows? Regardless, it was a good cheap lesson in not being complacent about our rig, and in being ready for the unexpected.

Rocinante is our 2014 International Signature 27FB
(Named for John Steinbeck's camper from "Travels With Charley")

Closed Thread