Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 08:51 AM   #29
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Annandale , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffcharb View Post
This particular accident was caused by a tire blow out on a personal watercraft trailer that was being towed behind the trailer. Lesson here, don't pull another trailer behind your airstream.
Forgive my ignorance, but is it legal to pull a trailer behind a bumper-towed trailer (not a 5th wheel)? And without a CDL?

Thanks,
Rich

Save
Old 09-09-2016, 09:10 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
In some states,yes, in Florida I don't think so though I have seen it done.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:25 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Monona , Wisconsin
Double Bottom Trailers/CDL

In Wisconsin one can pull a double bottom trailer setup without a CDL if the entire combination is not over 50-ft. in length. I was considering this setup and called the State Patrol to confirm. I found to meet the 50-ft. requirement you would need two very short trailers. Turned out not to work for me so I let the whole thing go.

Greg Anderson
Old 09-09-2016, 11:03 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
A single axle trailer, too.
I wonder if she knew to activate the trailer brakes with the hand control and apply slight fuel to straighten the tow vehicle and trailer once the trailer began swaying.
I wonder how fast she was going.
I wonder if she had her sway control tight enough.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
Old 09-09-2016, 11:07 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Gwinn , Michigan
Yikes! Those are scary photos. Flattened and upside down. She is very lucky to not have been killed.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:19 AM   #34
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Annandale , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
The accident might have literally been the result any number of things. There is simply not enough information to make a meaningful, helpful assessment with any confidence that would lead me to change something about the way we tow.
Agreed, Bruce. As OTRA15 previously stated, we really need the detailed follow-up report (if it's possible to obtain) ... And ... the more we can learn from accidents like this, the better off everyone will be.

If nothing else, this is hopefully getting folks' attention and reminding them (or teaching them ... Or reinforcing to them) the importance of loading, weight distribution, anti-sway, speed, driving time, etc. and all of the factors addressed in other safety-related threads... One of which is

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...is-155778.html

Though there are many others... Stay safe and let's hope we can get more info to continue the learning ...

Take care,
Rich
Save
Old 09-09-2016, 11:36 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
I don't think anyone on this forum would ever think of you as callous, Ray. I pull my 20ft FC with a 2012 Tahoe, and fishtailed once very badly (could never figure out why...dry pavement, no winds, no sharp curves, reasonable speed). That's why I have, on a number of occasions, voiced my opinion on TV questions regarding vehicle sufficiency pulling larger AS. Although the horsepower is sufficient to pull larger ASs (so to speak), I would want a longer TV wheelbase for anything larger than my Daisy. Like everyone else said...glad the people are alright. Safe travels. jon
Old 09-09-2016, 11:59 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
To many what ifs. just hope lady and any psgrs. ok. Tv and trailers can be replaced LIVES can not.Until cause is known I won't speculate of causes. No fun to roll AS and feelings of sorrow as I completely rolled back onto wheels 1967 30 ft. AS in Feb. 1969, can attest to structure of AS. When I went back I couldn't see any damage except door ajar and hanging but inside completely trashed.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:16 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Rich
Yes, in Idaho it is legal to pull two trailers...neither of them needing to be a 5th wheel
Old 09-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
2005 30' Safari
North Port , Florida
Rich, as I wouldn't pull doubles myself curiosity made me look up the statute. In Florida you are allowed a combination up to 65 feet in length.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:14 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Using the trailer brakes might have helped, and we all have those. However, I'm not sure that once sway has surprised a driver that finding that brake-ctrl and applying it will be either easy or the first thing considered.... the first reaction will likely be directional-ctrl using the steering-wheel while simultaneously letting up on the gas.... neither particularly helpful.
I've several times, while underway, imagined the need to quickly apply trailer brakes and even tho' it's conveniently located..... it's not found/applied that quickly, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
To many what ifs. just hope lady and any psgrs. ok. Tv and trailers can be replaced LIVES can not.Until cause is known I won't speculate of causes. No fun to roll AS and feelings of sorrow as I completely rolled back onto wheels 1967 30 ft. AS in Feb. 1969, can attest to structure of AS. When
I went back I couldn't see any damage except door ajar and hanging but inside completely trashed.

What do you feel caused your rollover, featherbedder?
Old 09-09-2016, 02:04 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Using the trailer brakes might have helped, and we all have those. However, I'm not sure that once sway has surprised a driver that finding that brake-ctrl and applying it will be either easy or the first thing considered.... the first reaction will likely be directional-ctrl using the steering-wheel while simultaneously letting up on the gas.... neither particularly helpful.
I've several times, while underway, imagined the need to quickly apply trailer brakes and even tho' it's conveniently located..... it's not found/applied that quickly, IMO.

What do you feel caused your rollover, featherbedder?
In 1967 AS raised ball hgt. to 21 inches. Had 1968 Chrysler New Yorker, to get ball hgt. reese butt welded stinger onto uprite bar that welded into back of head. [both solid 2 inch sq.] At that time heads were welded to stinger not as they are bolted today.
Reese did not triangle gusset at top where bars were joined or plate across bottom of butt weld. Scissored at 5000 lbs. pressure by Reese lab test. Coming apart. When I toured plant at Reese expense I suggested these two items they immed. started doing this mod. Reese admitted liability as this was new design. Reese covered all losses suffered by me. I still use Reese [I think they are a great hitch]. As far as car, spun out no damage or inj. to family. Also at that time only hitches were bumper pull or frame mounted that welding shops fabricated from some parts from hitch manf. and stock steel. Nothing from auto and truck manf. as today.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:07 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
what did people use in the 1970's?!

how did they manage in the 1970's ? V8 sedans with sloppy suspension ? You've seen their ads etc, how did they cope ?!
Old 09-09-2016, 02:26 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
It was a 19' AS and the tow vehicle is rated 6500lb. If that's not enough to safely pull a Bambi I'd be surprised. If that's the case we all better buy F250s. Personally I don't need to insure, maintain, pay for, park and look at 7000lbs of pickup truck to insure I can drive in a 60 mph cross wind.

Something went really wrong to roll that thing. Hope they get another one and try again. I'm definitely gonna keep my eye out for any early signs of loss of control and always remember to tighten that sway control before I pull onto the highway.

Tow Vehicle: Ford Superduty crew cab 6.2L V8
Closed Thread