CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Cause.....

The driver lost control of the TV & AS.

It COULD happen to any of us.

Stream Safe.

Bob

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
Old 09-09-2016, 06:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Great work Rich, thanks! The photo is there at the top, but quite small, and I can't open it any further without an account I guess.

Would you mind if I attached a screen shot here?

What is that large long dark horizontal member going from under the bikes, to the left edge of your rear-view mirror, if you know? Maybe the AS's bumper which got dislodged during the roll-over? Or does it belong to what looks like a tan pickup just visible above your mirror, maybe a tow bar of some kind?

The bike rack does not look like the Airstream-approved Fiamma model IMO, and at the worst, it may involve quite a bit of extra steel and weight back there. like the Quebec roll-over large cargo carrier.

Hope the Idaho SP will follow up and issue a report in District 6 here, where yesterday's report is at the top of the list:

https://www.isp.idaho.gov/isp/news_r...sReleases.html

Thanks again for the photo. Good work which will let us all learn from these roll-overs, including the Quebec one:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ec-153984.html

Peter

Old 09-09-2016, 06:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
The driver lost control of the TV & AS.

It COULD happen to any of us.

Stream Safe.

Bob
Could that bike rack perhaps have contributed to the accident, if it is not the AS-approved Fiamma model, and therefore added too much weight too far back?

See the Quebec roll-over link just posted, plus the Out of Control Sway thread for discussions about improper rear loading:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ay-152451.html

The more we can learn from accidents like this, the better off everyone will be IMO. Thankfully we now have 3 photos which can aid in our pursuit of the true cause of this accident.

Hope the folks are not hurting too bad today.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:52 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
In the second photo, does anyone recognize the hitch?
The brackets and torsion bars look like Equalizer to me.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:54 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
There is simply no way of knowing what caused that accident from the information here.
Speculation will lead to nothing!
I simply feel sorry for the woman. She lost her Airstream and her vehicle, hopefully nothing else! They can be replaced...
Bruce
Old 09-09-2016, 06:59 AM   #20
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Annandale , Virginia
OTRA15 - your link is not working.

I was about to say feel free to post the pic but I realized if you could do it, that I should be able to do it. I figured it out. Hopefully, it will zoom in too.

And yes, I had the same observation ... it appears to be the rear bumper ... or frame to rear bumper ... ?

I went back to the source pic she sent me via messaging... It is definitely the Fiamma bike rack ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	271293

And as Bob pointed out, this could happen to any one of us ... The point is to learn as much as we can from the accident without armchair quarterbacking the unfortunate family involved in the accident.

I've often wondered how often a "small" trailer is sold with the attitude that "it's just a small trailer" and not enough attention or time is spent on loading, balancing, reducing sway, correctly setting up the hitch, etc.

Kat sent me another pic (very low quality) of a different Airstream (Bambi?), from her hotel room this morning. It looks unlevel to me ... Can't be good for towing.

Take care,
Rich
Save
Old 09-09-2016, 07:10 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
There is simply no way of knowing what caused that accident from the information here.
Speculation will lead to nothing!
I simply feel sorry for the woman. She lost her Airstream and her vehicle, hopefully nothing else! They can be replaced...
Bruce
Have you looked carefully at the 3 photos, including enlarging them on your screen? We can learn from what is available IMO, even if we are not able to pinpoint the exact cause of the accident, can't we?
Old 09-09-2016, 07:14 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks Rich for the photo. My links had to have the URL's posted, so they should be OK now.

Thanks for the Fiamma bike rack update.

I guess with your clearer picture, that is probably a tow truck with its rear lower lift bar extended under the trailer's rear bumper IMO. See the red "6" on the back corner of the tan vehicle? Maybe an ID number for the towing firm, like "Truck 6" ?

Thanks for posting the photo.

Peter

PS -- Also note that there is an awning on the street side shown above the tow truck operator (assuming) with the yellow-striped shirt/vest on. This would add weight to the small trailer, affecting the question of whether it may have been overweight, depending on the exact model. Those small units have fairly small carrying capacity, and the bike rack, 2 (?) bikes, and awning add up. If the rear bumper was an optional add-on (as needed for some small AS), its weight would also factor in.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:32 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Have you looked carefully at the 3 photos, including enlarging them on your screen? We can learn from what is available IMO, even if we are not able to pinpoint the exact cause of the accident, can't we?
I have looked.
So, you learn what hitch she used, what car she drove, that she had bicycles on the back...any number of things. None of that will tell us why it happened.
The accident might have literally been the result any number of things.
There is simply not enough information to make a meaningful, helpful assessment with any confidence that would lead me to change something about the way we tow.

It simply feels like the internet equivalence of "rubber necking"...

Remember, I looked too!
Bruce
Old 09-09-2016, 07:43 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Could have been tv malfunction, tires look okay though.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:44 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Well said, Bruce, thanks.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:48 AM   #26
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I have looked.
So, you learn what hitch she used, what car she drove, that she had bicycles on the back...any number of things. None of that will tell us why it happened.
The accident might have literally been the result any number of things.
There is simply not enough information to make a meaningful, helpful assessment with any confidence that would lead me to change something about the way we tow.

It simply feels like the internet equivalence of "rubber necking"...

Remember, I looked too!
Bruce

Exactly!!!

Your not learning anything thru speculation.

You will get better results by driving your own rig and doing the things that will make the experience safer & more enjoyable.

Bob

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
Old 09-09-2016, 08:21 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Clinton , Montana
Well....it is a sad event and very tramatic for anyone to go thru a motor vehicle accident and we should be thankful that no serious injury resulted. If....and I say if....there is anything good to see in these pics is the "integrity" of the trailer. The reports indicate the TV and trailer rolled "several times". Yet...it stayed connected which I find amazing. Another thing.....although trashed ...is that the trailer still retained it's "general shape". The roof held...the sides didn't buckel. Yes a lot of metal got torn up but the "trailer frame and superstructure" stayed in tack. Had it been some other brand we'd be looking at the "platform" not a "still complete" trailer unit. Even the AC stayed attached.

All of our trailers may come with their "respective flaws" but the "handbuilt quality of construction" can easily be seen.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:36 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
2005 30' Safari
North Port , Florida
Can't say much about this incident but can attest to the the build quality of Airstreams. I purchased and pulled home a 34' Limited that was in a rollover accident 150 miles across the state of Florida. It pulled like a dream even though I had to stop once and tighten up the straps as the shell was starting to lean a little too much. This particular accident was caused by a tire blow out on a personal watercraft trailer that was being towed behind the trailer. Lesson here, don't pull another trailer behind your airstream.