Old 02-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Keswick , Ontario
I tow a 27FB with a ram crew cab 1500 with e Hemi 5.7l. I use the Hensley Arrow. I also use the McKesh mirrors which give ample viewing down either side of the rig.
I have no complaints and love the feel of driving with this setup. I don't know much about the cub but your tv and the AS 23 you will have no problems.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
Centennial , Colorado
Tundras mirrors

Yet another quote for official Toyota Tundra towing mirrors: $835 per mirror!

My wife found these that look like the official mirrors and are $318 per pair: Towing Mirror BestInAUTO View Champ Hot Power Lite Part Number 204502 - TruckChamp

Last, the Hensley Cub was significantly cheaper than the ProPride (ask), and another forum has a picture of a cracked ProPride: Hensley Arrow vs. Propride 3p

Thanks for all the advice!

Old 02-29-2012, 07:41 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Tim

I have a Tundra and my hitch drop is 2". It would make sense that the f250 and Tundra would have the same size hitch bar (2" drop) since both trucks are about the same size and same height off the ground. I think the next size hitch drop is 4" or then 0". Hope this helps.

Dan
Old 02-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
David..

You can get the mirrors on Amazon for $140 a piece. shipped.
Amazon.com: Fit System 70104T OE Style Heated Power Folding Replacement Driver Side Mirror: Automotive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
I have a Tundra and my hitch drop is 2". It would make sense that the f250 and Tundra would have the same size hitch bar (2" drop) since both trucks are about the same size and same height off the ground. I think the next size hitch drop is 4" or then 0". Hope this helps.
Thats great news. I was hoping I wouldn't have to use their $200+ exchange service. Thanks
Old 02-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Tin', good find. Note that the Amazon link is for the driver side mirror; you have to look for the passenger side one.

Gene
Old 02-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Tin', good find. Note that the Amazon link is for the driver side mirror; you have to look for the passenger side one
You can get the passenger side one from that page as well.
There is a select box dropdown with the label "Style Name:".
Old 02-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Nevada City , California
I tow a 25' fb with a Tundra 5.7l. Don't seem to need any extra mirrors other than what came with the tow pkg. Truck does very well. Have a Hensley Hitch with which we are having a terrible time hitching up if there is any type of angle. Two hours to hook up is crazy. We have their brake controller also which seems to work quite well. Orson
Old 03-01-2012, 12:21 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
The hitch drop was different between my F250 and my Tundra(s). Both of the Tundra's squated when hitched and the F250 came down very little. I ended up with the cushioned shank from Etrailer. The height is adjustable and its smooooth.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:52 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Orson

Two hours to hitch up is way too long. There is a good article in Airstream Life by Andy Thomson about the Hensley hitch. He says in part: "The first few times you connect the Hensley you might wonder what you have done by buying one because there is a definate learning curve involved. Once you get the hang of it, connecting and disconnecting becomes fairly straightforward. Even when I vacation with a combination that really does not need a hensley, I still like to use one just because of the ease of connecting."

Dan
Old 03-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Done View Post
The hitch drop was different between my F250 and my Tundra(s). Both of the Tundra's squated when hitched and the F250 came down very little. I ended up with the cushioned shank from Etrailer. The height is adjustable and its smooooth.
You don't use a Hensley though.. correct?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I don't think you can factory order a Toyota. You buy what the dealer has or what the dealer can find at another dealer. If a dealer won't look on the computer to see what other dealers have, go somewhere else. You can make deals over the internet, so you are not tied to any one dealer. If you are an AAA member, they can make a deal for you and they do pretty well.

Gene
Well, I did although it was a few years ago. The problem is that when you order one you have to be willing to wait a long time for delivery. I have an '08 Tundra double cab with the towing package and the TRD suspension. I specifically wanted the towing mirrors so was willing to order if we couldn't find them elsewhere.

You "can" drive without them but the visibility is limited, doable but limited. I love the mirrors and would highly recommend getting them one way or another.

You will have no problem towing the 23 with your new Toyota. I went with an Equalizer hitch and have no complaints. I wanted something easy to hitch and unhitch that did the job with my setup. I am very happy with my choice.

Good luck, you have a lot of great times ahead.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
plano , Texas
I just put aftermarket tow mirrors on my tundra. I am having some problems with the up/down control being irradic, but everything else works including turn signal lights. Took 30min to install and was $234 on eBay.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Did you do the install yourself on those mirrors you got from ebay? if so, was it tricky to get the door panel off.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:46 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Calgary , Alberta
As a newbie - thanks so much for the contributions you have all made this forum - it's a great resource!

Thought I would bump this thread as I'm undergoing a similar decision - only with a 1973 23' safari / twin, and 2014 5.7L Double cab Tundra (w/ tow package).

Honestly, I came into the purchase thinking sway bars / weight distribution would be all I'd look at or need, and now have been exposed to the world of projection point hitches.

I've got very modest towing experience (enough to have swayed once, although this is my first TT and that was with an awkward tail heavy load). I never thought I would consider this much hitch but there are some definite believers here - and towing with a family in the vehicle has changed my risk tolerance.

That being said, the Safari (3800 lbs dry w/ ~540lbs dry tongue weight) is well within the Tundra's TWR of 9900 lbs (but the tongue weight is high enough that the Hensley cub would *not be an option here once the trailer is loaded).

In addition to wondering about David's experiences - I have a few questions and thought I might pick some brains:

1) The Tundra tow package comes with a Tow / Haul setting; it does a few things around acceleration sensitivity and transmission shift points.

One of the things it does, in the accounts I can find, is some degree of engine braking in descents. I don't know the degree to which this is a noticeable effect.

I have yet to tow with the rig. I don't have expectations that this would provide the deceleration of a diesel / allison set up, and certainly not a jake. However, it did give me pause based on some of the comments in other threads on this forum regarding issues with projection point hitches in engine brake situations. It would be unfortunate to find this out after purchase.

Is this a founded concern? Has anyone with a pp hitch had any issues with this type of functionality?

2) I'm guessing that it's because of the considerable investments that airstreams represent - but is there any other reason an airstream merits one of these pp hitches more than any other TT of a similar weight? In towing it home after purchase (although empty, and with a 1 ton dodge/cummins ) in a pretty fierce storm - the thing towed beautifully - so I can't imagine the enthusiasm for the pp hitches has anything to do with the way they tow with the stock coupler. There some comments in the forum about an airstream dealer in texas who won't sell their trailers without a pp hitch - not something I've heard about or seen with other rigs. Simply a matter of marginal cost of the pp hitch in a lot full of otherwise pricy trailers?

Thanks!