Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,648
Airstream Goose Neck

I wonder if anyone ever welded a goose neck on the front of an Airstream trailer? I would think it would be possible to do and it would eliminate all the hitch mess you have to deal with. I expect with some engineering that the goose neck would be removable.

Perry
__________________

__________________
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
Chief Chili Cook
 
newroswell's Avatar
 
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 738
Of course! Pretty much every wild and crazy thing you can do to an Airstream has been done.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f492...tml#post955817

What hitch mess are you referring to?
__________________

__________________
The NSA -- The only part of the government that listens.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,648
I mean having to deal with sway control and load bars etc. Also you can see the ball in the back of the truck so hitching is pretty easy.

Perry
__________________
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member
 
1970 21' Globetrotter
1976 25' Caravanner
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
2006 22' Interstate
Lakeville , Ohio
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10
I once had a 34' Argosy 5th wheel converted to a gooseneck. We nicknamed her Bertha because she was a very large trailer. She pulled very well for her size. We also have acquired a 1955 trailer chopped and converted to a 5th wheel. I mean they actually cut the front off at the door and raised the front part of the trailer and made a 5th wheel hookup. We have named it Frankentrailer. It has parts from the 50's, 60's and 70's all mixed in. The trailer is in rough condition but we have high hopes to finish the original owners vision.

Scott
__________________
scott44638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
TG Twinkie's Avatar
 
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,140
Images: 2
Blog Entries: 5
I have thought about it. My plan would be to build a 5th wheel assembly that would go under the existing "A" frame hitch of the trailer. It would attach to the existing hitch on the trailer and have shackles that attach over the "A" frame right in front of the body of the trailer. No modification of the trailer would be required and therefor the resale value would not be affected.
The trailer would rest on the hitch assembly much like snow on a shovel. If that makes sense. Neither the propane tanks or tongue jack would have to be removed. The vertical part of the 5th wheel frame would be even with the hitch ball with the appropriate gussets and so forth for strength. The the arched part would be built like any other medium duty 5th wheel hitch.
I figure it would add about 4 1/2 feet to the length of the rig. I would use a goose neck hitch rather than a 5th wheel type.. Leaving more space in the back of the TV.
__________________
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,648
Yeah no reason to modify the trailer significantly.

Perry
__________________
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
blacktruck's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Glasford , Illinois
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to blacktruck
Arrow My $0.02 here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I mean having to deal with sway control and load bars etc. Also you can see the ball in the back of the truck so hitching is pretty easy.

Perry
I am a little unsure why someone would want to do this. A few points come to mind here. Unless you are driving a single cab truck, you cannot see the ball in the bed to hook up and it was mentioned in another post that it would add about 4 1/2' to the length. I think they need to check the length of a typical gooseneck trailer. Mine is 8' from the ball to the front of the bed of the trailer. You have to have a fair amount of room for the swing of the rear of the truck. I would think the balance of the trailer would be not the best for this idea. Usually a gooseneck carries more weight on the hitch than a bumper pull model. Same as a fifth wheel model. Just my opinion but this doesn't appear to be a good idea to me but maybe I am missing something.
__________________
Can't be late with an Eight....
Some other brand in the drive but wanting an AS
South West Asia Chicken Haulers Assoc.
blacktruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
lincoln , Alabama
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 20
Hi All
I thought of this also. The reason being that you could have a platform for storage in front and it would be more manoverable on forest service roads etc. Then I saw a post where they just bolted a 20 footer without axils on a gooseneck trailer and had a platform with ramp behind for the toys. It was more logical than what I was thinking of. Had better ground clearance also.
MIke
still looking for my 25 footer,, has anyone seen it....
__________________
mrflegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 657
Airstream had a factory goose-neck model at one time, didn't they? I'm sure I saw it in the material fairly recently (within last 10 years).
__________________
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,648
The advantage of a goose neck is the load is over the wheels so no load distribution or sway problems. Bumper pull is a compromise.

Perry
__________________
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
TG Twinkie's Avatar
 
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,140
Images: 2
Blog Entries: 5
Backtruck. You are correct in stating that a 5th wheel modification would increase the length of the trailer by about 8 1/2'. But when the trailer is hitched to the truck the overall length of the truck and trailer would increase only by the distance required to turn the vehicle sharply. I stated that I thought this would be about 4 1/2'. I have seen goose neck stock trailers that are closer to the TV than this distance.
The use of a goose neck would eliminate the need for WD system and sway control. And I would bet that one could be fabricated for less than the cost of a Hensley or Propride setup.
I must admit that it would certainly be a head turner. People would say. "What on earth is that?"
__________________
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master
 
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,648
Why be conventional there is no percentage in being a conformist or is that what Airstreamers are all about. You must comply with the collective. You will be absorbed. Resistance is futile.

Perry
__________________
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #13
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,599
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Backtruck. You are correct in stating that a 5th wheel modification would increase the length of the trailer by about 8 1/2'. But when the trailer is hitched to the truck the overall length of the truck and trailer would increase only by the distance required to turn the vehicle sharply. I stated that I thought this would be about 4 1/2'. I have seen goose neck stock trailers that are closer to the TV than this distance.
The use of a goose neck would eliminate the need for WD system and sway control. And I would bet that one could be fabricated for less than the cost of a Hensley or Propride setup.
I must admit that it would certainly be a head turner. People would say. "What on earth is that?"

A VPP hitch replicates the GN/5'er arrangement. There is no other advantage accruing to the GN type except, possibly, OAL (and for a really motivated owner, marrying the aerodynamics of TV & TT).

The downside is

1] the increase in weight,

2] the elevated and increased COG,

3] and increased sail area -- all of which punish road performance.

Then there is

4] the loss of pickup bed area (and capacity),

5] and that the trailer can now only be towed by a pickup.

A conversion with no upside, in other words.

On the other hand, a "basket case" A/S might be a good marriage to an existing GN flatbed where the flatbed has the space to the rear for "toys" or other. There are numerous examples on the website PIRATE 4X4 in a subforum (though not of A/S, even though one member did explore that; he's also a contributor here -- owns a Streamline). Have seen TT's, truck campers and even pop-ups married to flatbeds . . better have a 1T DRW for the way these guys load them. Maybe even a 4500-series truck.

.
__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 9-cpm solo, 15-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
NevadaGeo's Avatar
 
1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
A VPP hitch replicates the GN/5'er arrangement. There is no other advantage accruing to the GN type except, possibly, OAL (and for a really motivated owner, marrying the aerodynamics of TV & TT).

The downside is

1] the increase in weight,

2] the elevated and increased COG,

3] and increased sail area -- all of which punish road performance.

Then there is

4] the loss of pickup bed area (and capacity),

5] and that the trailer can now only be towed by a pickup.

A conversion with no upside, in other words.

On the other hand, a "basket case" A/S might be a good marriage to an existing GN flatbed where the flatbed has the space to the rear for "toys" or other. There are numerous examples on the website PIRATE 4X4 in a subforum (though not of A/S, even though one member did explore that; he's also a contributor here -- owns a Streamline). Have seen TT's, truck campers and even pop-ups married to flatbeds . . better have a 1T DRW for the way these guys load them. Maybe even a 4500-series truck.

.
TMNSAL, AIALOFN. WT(x) AYTA? But you might all be dead if you tried it.
Please, there's no reason to abbreviate so d...mn much.
__________________

__________________
I admit to being powerless over housecleaning and social niceities
Airforums 22655 and now, WBCCI 22655

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My journey to Airstream 'Mothership' THEPILL On The Road... 189 08-02-2017 08:04 PM
Airstream / Hensley / Tundra? davidmenges Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 52 04-27-2015 01:12 AM
Time Machine :: 1972 Airstream Overlander Sodbust Airstream Registry Discussions 0 02-28-2012 12:03 PM
1962 Airstream Overlander eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 02-28-2012 09:20 AM
2009 Airstream Classic 30' w/ Slide Out - Price Reduced!!! eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 02-28-2012 09:00 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.