Old 03-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Western slope , Colorado
Hey, instead of a gooseneck, why not put a steering axle in the front, then put one of those duramax engine thing in it and drive it
down the road. No sway there unless your too close to the cooler. Then just call it a classA or something like that.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Rednax:
There is no one that can convince me that a Hensley or Valley Propride VPP hitch is equivalent to a goose neck GN or 5th wheel hitch when it comes to handling.
The idea that I threw out does not in any way modify the AS or modify the center of gravity COG since the trailers height is not changed. The "V" shaped goose neck hitch would not increase the sail area significantly since it is "V" shaped it may reduce the wind resistance caused by the flat front of the trailer.
The weight of the goose neck would exceed that of the existing hitch, but not by much when you total up the weight of the receiver hitch that is bolted to the frame if the truck, the ball mount assembly and the Hensley or VPP assembly that is required. I believe that if you used aluminum to fabricate the gooseneck it may be a close call on the weight issue. Any negative here may be off set by the improved handling and the ease of hitching up. The aluminum would match the trailer and could even be polished.
You are right that it could only be pulled by a pickup or flatbed when the gooseneck hitch is on the trailer. But with the removal of 4 shackle bolts and the release if the 2 5/16" hitch ball the entire gooseneck assembly could be removed and the trailer would then be converted back to the standard bumper pull type of hitch.
You are also correct that it would reduce the cargo space some in the back of the TV. For that reason I would choose the gooseneck over the 5th wheel.
Since I don't haul an ATV or motorcycle the lose of space that the pipe on the gooseneck takes would not be an issue. If I did want to haul an ATV I would convert it back to the bumper pull. But I don't think you can haul an ATV in the back of a Suburban or similar type of TV with out issues.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:04 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
One other thing. I think I could put the gooseneck hitch on my Argosy 26 and even with the additional weight it would still be less than the weight of a newer A$ of the same length. IMHO
Old 03-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
There is no one that can convince me that a Hensley or ProPride VPP hitch is equivalent to a goose neck GN or 5th wheel hitch when it comes to handling.

Don't forget the PULLRITE, likely the best of the bunch.

As to "being convinced", you'd need time, miles -- and plenty of high winds -- driving both kinds.

On the "sail area", part of that is the flat front of a GN style trailer. I should have clarified that. Open framework is worse for aero purposes. Though I would agree that a well-designed trailer with 5'er or GN hitch could be done with good aero when matched closely to TV.

Ease of hitching is a non-starter.

There are still no advantages accruing. If one wants a heavy-weight aero GN trailer then starting with an existing A/S is not the way to go.

The thread by RoosterBooster on PIRATE 4X4 does explore this concept with an A/S 5'er toyhauler before discarding it, and he's a good read in any of his threads. His latest is on a Spartan.

SkyKing over on ECOMODDER is planning an aero 5'er to go with his Dodge CTD. I think that discussion -- preliminary, with sketches -- may be more of what you're taking aim at; both here and here. I linked in several trailers, both an AVION and Silver Streak 5'ers (they're also linked in this forum).

But none of this has anything to do with a trailer that, by design, was meant to be pulled by the family car delivering stable, reliable and economical performance over the long haul. Good engineering means "no more than necessary". A designed from scratch GN trailer, using an A/S shell on a framework sufficient to use that hitch is more than just a tongue replacement, but a substantial and heavy re-design.

That AVION is a 14k trailer, yet it would likely have better aero than a GN-conversion A/S.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
So TG why don't you convert your Twinkie to a Goose Twinkie?

Perry
Old 03-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
This is a good conversation.
It keeps a persons mind working.
I don't know that there is any distinct advantage of the idea I threw out here other than the fact there are no moving parts in the set up I mentioned other than the ball and socket relationship.
As for the aero dynamics. The gooseneck assembly I had in mind would not extend above the cab of the TV. Therefore no additional sail area.
I had no intention of modifying the hitch or frame work on the trailer. The idea would not require removing any skin or other components. Even the removal of the tongue jack would not be required.
It was mention that GN trailers typically have much heavier tongue weights as compared to a straight pull trailer. My thought is the tongue weight would be increased because of the GN assembly
Old 03-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Hit the send button accidentally. I'm on the iPod.
With the additional length of the GN it would in effect set the trailer axles back. More like a GN.
With the GN one would be able to turn much sharper, especially if an anti sway system were on the bumper pull rig. Which in some cases requires removal of the anti sway system prior to backing.
Not being totally informed about the cam type hitches, I don't know if there is anything special refunded in order to back.

This idea is something I was considering. I like keeping the old brain cells dusted off.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Perryg114.
I am seriously considering it. About the only thing that keeps me from giving it a try is time and $$$$. At this point the $ is going into the Argosy 26' improvement project. I just installed new axles and tires. As everyone knows that requires some significant $$$'s.
Right now I have over 10K in this old trailer. Don't know if I'll ever camp enough in it enough to break even.
But it is still cheaper than therapy. LOL
Besides it's much more satisfying to look at the trailer than a stack of receipts from the shrink. Not that I've been to one. Maybe this is the reason. LOL
Old 03-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #23
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
I want to drive this, just for a few minutes. 18 to 20 MPG towing!

1974 Volkswagen Beetle & Camper - road test - YouTube
Old 03-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
You don't need a VW to do that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n_a.jpg
Views:	104