Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2017, 04:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Kansas City , Missouri
Airsafe with 1st gen reece dual cam (i think) sway issues

So... We've got a 1997 34' that we pull with a 2014 GMC 3500. We have a Reece weight distribution/anti-sway hitch that was purchased by the original owners when they bought the trailer in 1997.

With the Reece WD hitch installed, I have zero sway and everything works good except the HD truck/suspension beats the hell out of the trailer. Popped some rivets, stuff moves/falls inside the trailer, etc.

I purchased a class VII Airsafe Hitch prior to our last trip hoping that it would decrease or eliminate the rough ride for us and the trailer. The Airsafe hitch DID make the ride very smooth and nice, but at the expense of my anti sway (we are using the Reece WD hitch with the Airsafe). For whatever reason, there is a TON more sway with the Airsafe hitch installed.

I can get most of the sway eliminated but it requires really torquing down on my tow bars...to the point that the Airsafe hitch isnt able to really do it's job anymore... In this state the airbag only moves if you hit a really big bump in the highway.

So, anyways, I feel like I must have this thing set up wrong... or that I am missing something obvious. Any feedback on how to get the benefit of the Airsafe while not loosing my anti-sway would be great!

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3953.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	299527  
Old 11-20-2017, 07:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
The Airsafe should have zero effect on you r WD Hitch.When you installed this combination did you dial in your WD as if it were new installation? With the trailer hitched and WD on is your truck level and back to its unloaded stance?
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:24 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
The Airsafe should have zero effect on you r WD Hitch.When you installed this combination did you dial in your WD as if it were new installation? With the trailer hitched and WD on is your truck level and back to its unloaded stance?
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the truck is back to it's unloaded stance. On the initial trip with the WD and Airsafe, I left with the WD setup exactly as it was prior to the Airsafe. I measured the ball height prior to Airsafe, then worked with getting the Airsafe setup up to where the ball was in the same place. The truck and trailer were level and had the same stance as before... but while towing there was a ton of sway.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Airsafe with 1st gen reece dual cam (i think) sway issues

Sound like u need more pressure on the bars.I would go to the scales and record hooked up and unhooked front and rear.I would also check the contents of the trailer for proper loading.
I tow with a full fresh water tank as recommended in the owners manual.

In all the miles towing with the Airsafe Hitch including but not limited to 70mph winds leaving the North Rim of the Grand Canyon or running 80 mph passing semi’s and RV’s in Wyoming and Montana we have never experienced any sway once so ever.
We pull a 28ft International with a 2017 F350 Supercrew 6.7.

Something is not right in your setup.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
It occurred to me that you all are buying 2500's and 3500's then needing to add an AirSafe Hitch to even out the harsh ride.
Ironic?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:35 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
It occurred to me that you all are buying 2500's and 3500's then needing to add an AirSafe Hitch to even out the harsh ride.
Ironic?
Well.. that would make sense if I bought the truck just for the Airstream... but, since I need the truck for work and can't afford two trucks, the Airsafe hitch is a way to make it work. Thanks!
Old 11-22-2017, 07:41 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Sound like u need more pressure on the bars.I would go to the scales and record hooked up and unhooked front and rear.I would also check the contents of the trailer for proper loading.
I tow with a full fresh water tank as recommended in the owners manual.

In all the miles towing with the Airsafe Hitch including but not limited to 70mph winds leaving the North Rim of the Grand Canyon or running 80 mph passing semi’s and RV’s in Wyoming and Montana we have never experienced any sway once so ever.
We pull a 28ft International with a 2017 F350 Supercrew 6.7.

Something is not right in your setup.
Thanks... Agreed. So I started from scratch last night, meaning, I re-set the WD hitch up following the reeece instructions. Made a huge difference! The Airsafe is doing it's job, I have a very smooth ride, and sway seems non existent.

Not sure what I did wrong the first time, but figured it was smart to just go back to the beginning and start fresh.

Appreciate your feedback... got me thinking in the right direction.

MIKE
Old 11-22-2017, 08:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Quote:
Ironic?
Yes, But we don't have to worry about payload, or using paper plates instead of real dishes, or generators and fuel, or how much tow capacity we are bumping up against.

No irony...just a choice.

We have used an Airsafe and Reese dual cam for a long time, for the same reasons. I had no such issues.

The amount of load of the bars shouldn't restrict the amount of movement for the Airsafe.

The Airsafes are quite stiff when new and seem not be moving as much as one might expect. Over the years, mine as loosened up some and slides easily.

I load my WD bars the same the same as without the Airsafe. They are 600 lb bars.

Sway is generally a symptom of poor weight distribution in the trailer. The tongue is too light, or maybe to heavy.

I would guess the problem lies in the length of the hitch setup added by the Airsafe. It has moved the hitch point enough to change how the tongue weight is loaded on the truck. Play with tongue weight and WD loading and you will find the sweet spot.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadog33 View Post
Well.. that would make sense if I bought the truck just for the Airstream... but, since I need the truck for work and can't afford two trucks, the Airsafe hitch is a way to make it work. Thanks!
No offenses at you. I was referring to all the folks here who say "You need a 2500 to pull an Airstream, or else it's not safe." Same as "You need this hitch, or you need these tires, or you need this generator.
My truck is also my daily driver, and I didn't want to climb up to a high seat or have to park at the end of the lot, so my choice was a 1/2 ton. Will it struggle crossing the Continental divide? Maybe. I'll take it easy if I go. Until then, it's been great.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
So... We've got a 1997 34' that we pull with a 2014 GMC 3500. We have a Reece weight distribution/anti-sway hitch that was purchased by the original owners when they bought the trailer in 1997.

With the Reece WD hitch installed, I have zero sway and everything works good except the HD truck/suspension beats the hell out of the trailer. Popped some rivets, stuff moves/falls inside the trailer, etc.

I purchased a class VII Airsafe Hitch prior to our last trip hoping that it would decrease or eliminate the rough ride for us and the trailer. The Airsafe hitch DID make the ride very smooth and nice, but at the expense of my anti sway (we are using the Reece WD hitch with the Airsafe). For whatever reason, there is a TON more sway with the Airsafe hitch installed.

I can get most of the sway eliminated but it requires really torquing down on my tow bars...to the point that the Airsafe hitch isnt able to really do it's job anymore... In this state the airbag only moves if you hit a really big bump in the highway.

So, anyways, I feel like I must have this thing set up wrong... or that I am missing something obvious. Any feedback on how to get the benefit of the Airsafe while not loosing my anti-sway would be great!

Thanks!
You've got pretty much the same trailer as we have, except your truck is newer. My truck is a Dodge/Cummins, 2500, I bought the Class 5 AirSafe 7 years ago, and have pulled with it for more than 85,000 miles. I carry 40 psi in the AirSafe, and a definite "bend" in my 800# trunnion bars on the Reese Dual Cam. I have the bars in the 5th link of the chains. Our 34'er weighs 9600 pounds, loaded for a trip. I just installed 3 new axles rated at 3600# each..

It look's to me like you need more tension on the trunnion bars. You might consider the next lighter grade bars from what you are using...

Good luck, keep us posted..

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:12 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Ironic?
Give me a break.
Rarely do I see someone with an AirSafe hitch. Its about rare as a Unicorn at any Rally I ever been to.
I have an F-250 Diesel 6.6 bed and a Blue Ox hitch. Once I get the truck loaded and the AS dropped on I get the best ride ever.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:33 PM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink

If you had the Worlds Best TV & hitch like me....you wouldn't need a MM airhitch.

Bob
Old 11-22-2017, 03:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Glad you got it fixed. Really studyong the inatructions can be a big help... and I thimk having them in 5 or more languages makes them leas accurate in All of them.

May the roads rise gently from now on.

Paula
Old 11-22-2017, 06:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Thanks... Agreed. So I started from scratch last night, meaning, I re-set the WD hitch up following the reeece instructions. Made a huge difference! The Airsafe is doing it's job, I have a very smooth ride, and sway seems non existent.

Not sure what I did wrong the first time, but figured it was smart to just go back to the beginning and start fresh.

Appreciate your feedback... got me thinking in the right direction.

MIKE

Glad to hear you got it dialed in.

I also used the Airsafe on my F150 and it also provided a much smoother ride with no more jerk back when going over concrete interstates.Most products I buy are just marketing BS but this purchase I do not regret
Should everyone buy a expensive Airsafe Hitch? No. But as everything in life it has its purpose and serves it well.Just another tool.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:01 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
1985 25' Sovereign
LaGrange Highlands , Illinois
Quote:

Thanks!
Did u ever think that it was not the hitch that is the problem but our roads R crap. I have been towing RV trailers for over 40 year and in the last several years our hy ways have gone to hell. Look at the pot holes on interstates and main roads. We all have the same problem, not a hitch problem. Jim.
rmatkovich is offline   Reply With Quote