Old 05-04-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Valley View , Texas
airbags vs. weight distribution

Our TV is a 3/4 F250 with airbags. We are getting ready to purchase a 2013 Flying Cloud 28. My question is will airbags and a sway control bar be ok for this setup? Or do I need to go with a weight distribution hitch. Thanks!

Old 05-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
We tow a 30' International with an F250 superduty. We have a weight distribution hitch and don't use the airbags when towing the Airstream.
I seem to recall reading someplace about not using airbags when towing an AS, but can't remember where. We use them when towing an equipment trailer with a tractor on it.

1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
my opinion is you need the WD hitch to transfer some load back to the front end of the truck.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
WD is almost always a good idea - unless towing a very small trailer with a very heavy tow vehicle. Transferring weight to the front wheels just makes for a more stable drive.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We converted our 2012 Dodge 2500HD diesel to a complete Kelderman level ride air bag suspension (all steels suspension parts removed) which softened the ride considerably. It works well for towing the Classic and did well with the 25FB.

We used a Hensley on the 25FB and now use a ProPride with the Classic.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:29 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I most wholeheartedly agree with the others. Rear suspension air bags and a weight distribution hitch system do not serve the same purpose. Air bags beef up the rear suspension to assist with a heavy load either in the bed of the truck or as tongue weight on the rear suspension. or both. A weight distributing function on a hitch system transfers some of the trailer's tongue weight to the front axle of the tow vehicle. This is very important as it prevents the front end from becoming too light due to the rear load. This situation can adversely affect both steering response and front wheel braking capabilities. Remember that the front bakes on a vehicle provide the lion's share of the vehicle's braking ability.

I tow with a 2011 Silverado one ton pick-up. I have both rear air bags and a weight distribution hitch system. When I tow the Airstream, I use the air bags to level out the trailer. I also use the air bags to achieve side-to-side balance of the truck as I am carrying a 3,000# pop-up truck camper in the bed while towing the Airstream.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:53 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I most wholeheartedly agree with the others. Rear suspension air bags and a weight distribution hitch system do not serve the same purpose. Air bags beef up the rear suspension to assist with a heavy load either in the bed of the truck or as tongue weight on the rear suspension. or both. A weight distributing function on a hitch system transfers some of the trailer's tongue weight to the front axle of the tow vehicle. This is very important as it prevents the front end from becoming too light due to the rear load. This situation can adversely affect both steering response and front wheel braking capabilities. Remember that the front bakes on a vehicle provide the lion's share of the vehicle's braking ability.

I tow with a 2011 Silverado one ton pick-up. I have both rear air bags and a weight distribution hitch system. When I tow the Airstream, I use the air bags to level out the trailer. I also use the air bags to achieve side-to-side balance of the truck as I am carrying a 3,000# pop-up truck camper in the bed while towing the Airstream.

Brian

Our older TV is in the Ford dealership getting brain surgery / replacement this weekend, but instead of canceling our trip to Fish Lake, we arranged to borrow a relatives Ram 3500 to haul the AS (27' Classic.) The truck has air bags and the owner thinks I absolutely do not need to mount and use my Eaz-Lift WD hitch. My cautious nature says I should, partly because it's what I am used to and also because the functions served are different (per this thread.)

Any WD towing experts out there disagree with my view that I should go ahead and mount / use the WD hitch?

Thanks in advance for any prompt feedback (headed out tomorrow.)

Regards - Ron
Old 05-26-2016, 10:11 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Like its been said air bags do not increase your axle ratings but they do make your truck sit level there by transferring weight back to the front axle. Personally I dont use wd hitches unless needed to lower tongue weight. But its your call
Old 05-26-2016, 10:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Ron - I don't qualify as a towing expert so take with a grain of salt.

If you think you should, just do it. You don't want to spend hours on the road worry about when something might happen that you're not prepared for.

Like any safety device (seat belts, breakaway switches, etc.), you never need them - until you need them. It's not the 999 miles things went well but the one mile all hell breaks loose that you'll want the help a good setup provides.

Set it up and have a safe trip!
Old 05-27-2016, 12:41 AM   #10
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpletKay06 View Post
Like its been said air bags do not increase your axle ratings but they do make your truck sit level there by transferring weight back to the front axle. Personally I dont use wd hitches unless needed to lower tongue weight. But its your call
Yes, they can make your truck sit level.

No, they do not transfer weight back to the front axle.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:45 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
My front axle weight is the same loaded as it is unloaded when I use my air bags odot scales have confirmed that.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:55 AM   #12
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpletKay06 View Post
My front axle weight is the same loaded as it is unloaded when I use my air bags odot scales have confirmed that.
If you are saying that your front axle weight is the same loaded with the airbags inflated or not, and then when unloaded is different but unchanging whether the airbags are inflated or not, then we are agreeing. The air bags don't change the front axle load.

If you are saying that regardless of the airbags, your front axle weight when loaded is the same as your front axle weight when unloaded, then that suggests that your load is centred on the rear axle, and not impacting your front axle.

None of the above suggests that the airbags restore front axle load by themselves. There isn't a mechanism by which they do that.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:45 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
It had to do with the frame angle of the tv. Its the same as rasing or lowering the tongue of the trailer can cause the weight to change.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Speeking as a mechanical engineer: draw a free body drawing of the truck with and without w/d. The hitch torsion bars create a torque around the tow ball resulting in an increase in front axle applied force to balance the torque. Adding more stiffness to the rear axle, by adding air bags, can not possibly creat a torque to increase the front axle weight (transferring some of the tongue weight to the front axle.)